kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

On 5/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, MinaTakla said:

Impressive that Uni. has the first 2 spots for Hollywood films this year OS. They don't get enough credit for their OS success.

Indeed. But take China out of the equation and they'll "only" get the 3rd and 4th spot.

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Did anyone start an Infinity War WW>TLJ WW Club? 

Cause that prospect seems a much more interesting one now with the much lower OS numbers for TLJ being a real possibility. 

I think Avengers: Age of Ultron might have just accomplished that...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

"STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI hit $1.205B this weekend--the 13th highest-grossing worldwide release in the history of the known galaxy. "

has this guy been reading my posts?

Edited by IronJimbo

Sometime i really don't understand how they compute, according to BOM and others new sources, TLJ's OS number as of Thrusday was $573.5m, and the estimated as of sunday will be $632.7m.

Minus 28.7m out from total for china opening, it would get 604m total-OS, meaning the gross from friday to sunday would be 30.5m, but the report above suggest that it would be a 36m weekend without china.....

????

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Sometime i really don't understand how they compute, according to BOM and others new sources, TLJ's OS number as of Thrusday was $573.5m, and the estimated as of sunday will be $632.7m.

Minus 28.7m out from total for china opening, it would get 604m total-OS, meaning the gross from friday to sunday would be 30.5m, but the report above suggest that it would be a 36m weekend without china.....

????

OS weekends isn't always 3 days, many places include Thursday and Japan only includes Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

????

That's because part of the Thursday gross gets counted towards the weekend since in many markets the box office weekend starts with the Thursday, not Friday.

• Like 1

In France, weekend is Wednesday thru Sunday. Australia, Germany have Thu thru Sunday. So removing Wed and Thu grosses for France, Thu grosses for Australia, Germany and many other places from 573.5M and adding the weekend number will get you the 632.7M total.

17 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

The drop from the first film is terrible :(

No, not really. The drop is pretty much exactly where it was expected to be. 700-800m was always the likely range for the international total, and with China really not being interested in Star Wars, reaching the lower end of that range is hardly unexpected. With TFA, Star Wars reached an audience it normally didn't reach, now it merely dropped back again to its normal levels. With the franchise not being of particular interest in the markets that develop the most, you couldn't really expect those to counter any drops, like it happened with other franchises (e.g. Age of Ultron not dropping all that much thanks mostly to China exploding between TA and AoU). TFA was only the third movie after Titanic and Avengers to reach 1b internationally without China, that's way beyond normal for a franchise that clearly wasn't as big as LOTR or Harry Potter internationally.

If anything, it was the domestic side which could or should have delivered a bit more. As weird as that sounds when talking about a movie that easily tops 600m domestically.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, George Parr said:

No, not really. The drop is pretty much exactly where it was expected to be. 700-800m was always the likely range for the international total, and with China really not being interested in Star Wars, reaching the lower end of that range is hardly unexpected. With TFA, Star Wars reached an audience it normally didn't reach, now it merely dropped back again to its normal levels. With the franchise not being of particular interest in the markets that develop the most, you couldn't really expect those to counter any drops, like it happened with other franchises (e.g. Age of Ultron not dropping all that much thanks mostly to China exploding between TA and AoU). TFA was only the third movie after Titanic and Avengers to reach 1b internationally without China, that's way beyond normal for a franchise that clearly wasn't as big as LOTR or Harry Potter internationally.

If anything, it was the domestic side which could or should have delivered a bit more. As weird as that sounds when talking about a movie that easily tops 600m domestically.

Excuse me but I remember you being quite aggressive when I was talking about a $700m OS total, stating to me that that would require some big drops outside Asia that are unlikely to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Titanic and Avatar, you mean. Avengers didn't make 1b OS.

33 minutes ago, Apollo2xx said:

Titanic and Avatar, you mean. Avengers didn't make 1b OS.

Ha, yeah, thanks. No idea how Avatar turned into Avengers there.

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Excuse me but I remember you being quite aggressive when I was talking about a $700m OS total, stating to me that that would require some big drops outside Asia that are unlikely to happen. 

Really?

That is news to me. I certainly don't remember you talking about 700m, more like something in the 600m range.

Besides, I said 700-800m range, not 700m. And I wasn't talking about MY predictions here anyway. Not that you could find any post where I claimed this would do something like 900m or so, or even something approach that.

Edited by George Parr