kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Did anyone start an Infinity War WW>TLJ WW Club? 

Cause that prospect seems a much more interesting one now with the much lower OS numbers for TLJ being a real possibility. 

that will be interesting and largely depends on how infinity war performs, I don't see TLJ getting to Avengers number or even AOU, I think IW might do close to AOU.

Edited by NCsoft

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No one is saying that since Disney is gonna make a ton of money from this and will continue to do so with the next installments as well. What can be apparent from an underperformance of this though is that Disney may have not reached the maximum out of what they could have based on a number of decisions the took, one of which I always thought would hurt in the long run. I am talking about releasing a SW movie every year which will overexpose the brand and get a bit of the general audience tired. We are gonna see If I am right.

There is not a single possiblity that a SW movie will ever flop in the future but every performance is judged based on the pre-existing potential and If this gets a lot closer to Rogue One than The Force Awakens, that would mean that Disney hasn't exactly done things greatly and they have let a bit of potential slip.

The point is though that Disney will still make more money in the end, releasing one movie every year instead of taking one or two years off, even if each individual movie might make slightly less that way, i believe. That's what it comes down to, making money.

Edited by Elessar

15 minutes ago, Elessar said:

The point is though that Disney will still make more money in the end, releasing one movie every year instead of taking one or two years off, even if each individual movie might make slightly less that way, i believe. That's what it comes down to, making money.

You are thinking really short-term though. The goal should be to keep the legacy of the franchise and continue profiting from it for the decades to come.. Not just make as much money for 5 years and hurt the brand. 

22 minutes ago, peludo said:

France, Germany and Japan are bigger for Star Wars than Australia.

Biggest in terms of objective attendance and dollar gross, yes. But I was talking about how Star Wars does in Australia compared to other big films. TFA is the second highest-grossing film of all time in Aus (it came within 20% of Avatar's gross), and Rogue One was the biggest film of 2016. In Japan, TFA isn't in the top 10 highest-grossing, and Rogue One wasn't even in the top 10 for 2016. In France, TFA (10.3m admissions) didn't come nearly as close to Avatar (14.7m admissions). Germany is perhaps the only comparable market, where Rogue One won the year by far in dollar gross (but only narrowly in admissions), and TFA is only just over 20% away from Avatar in admissions.

Anyway, the point that I was making is that that's quite a big drop in light of the strength of the Star Wars brand in Australia - the fact that Star Wars is arguably stronger in other unrelated markets is irrelevant.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Cause that prospect seems a much more interesting one now with the much lower OS numbers for TLJ being a real possibility. 

Quite possible it could turn out like CW and Rogue One in regards to WW/OS/DOM leader & % 

• Like 1

T-1

Double                         IMAX                        3D                         2D

2017-12-13    06:00:00                    1                            34                        95                        194

2017-12-13    07:00:00                    1                            34                        95                        194
2017-12-13    08:00:00                    1                            34                        95                        194
2017-12-13    09:00:00                    1                            34                        95                        194
2017-12-13    10:00:00                    1                            34                        95                        194
2017-12-13    11:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    12:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    13:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    14:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    15:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    16:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        194
2017-12-13    17:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        203
2017-12-13    18:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        203
2017-12-13    19:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        203
2017-12-13    20:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        203
2017-12-13    21:00:00                    1                            34                        98                        203

34 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I can see Disney pumping the breaks on the annual Star Wars releases with the Avatar sequels coming into their possession. Could see Avatar sequels and Star Wars films take turns with the December release dates.

That's what I'm seeing too. If they have the Avatar sequels, I can see Star Wars and Avatar taking turns in the December release.

8 minutes ago, Patraon said:

First day in France:

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS: 619 200 tickets sold

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI: 503 727 tickets sold (-18,65%)

ROGUE ONE: 271 000

Less than 20% drop, very very good. Hoping for a similar drop DOM just to catch the 200m OW.

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

You are thinking really short-term though. The goal should be to keep the legacy of the franchise and continue profiting from it for the decades to come.. Not just make as much money for 5 years and hurt the brand. 

I don't think you hurt your brand as long as you produce quality products.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm starting BatB >>> TLJ OS CLub. Only in this thread.

It would be hilarious if BatB topped it internationally (759.5M).

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm starting BatB >>> TLJ OS CLub. Only in this thread.

It would be hilarious if BatB topped it internationally (759.5M).

actually it's looking to happen

also the person that said Infinity War  bigger than Last Jedi worldwide. Is that even a question? Infinity War is likely annihilating Last Jedi in Asia and Latin America which is enough to put it over by a decent amount

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

actually it's looking to happen

also the person that said Infinity War  bigger than Last Jedi worldwide. Is that even a question? Infinity War is likely annihilating Last Jedi in Asia and Latin America which is enough to put it over by a decent amount

I think that many on this board are putting too much weight on the AoU > Civil War drop, and are underestimating Infinity War. The Youtube trailer is now past the Force Awakens to become the most watched live action trailer of all time. They are selling the film as the culmination of 10 years of MCU stories, and it seems to be working. If there is a drop off from Age of Ultron overseas, I expect it to be fairly minimal. I wouldn't be that surprised to see it nudge ahead either. 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 1