cannastop

Zootopia vs. Kubo and the Two Strings

Zootopia vs. Kubo and the Two Strings  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Zootopia vs. Kubo and the Two Strings

• Zootopia
    • Kubo and the Two Strings

It's awards season, and it's these two movies that are winning almost all the accolades in the animated category. It's Kubo that's winning a majority of critics' awards, but Zootopia comes close.

Anyways, I think this thread should be the place to debate the relative merits of these two movies.

Edited by cannastop

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's Kubo that's winning a majority of critics' awards, but Zootopia comes close.

I don't think this is true actually. I have Zootopia and Kubo at 5 each out of a total of 12 awards. Which award(s) am I missing? Would have to be at least three for Kubo to have a majority.

Award Date Winner
NBR 29/11/2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
NYFCC 02/12/2016 Zootopia
LAFCA 04/12/2016 Your Name
WAFCA 05/12/2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
BOFCA 10/12/2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
SFFCC 11/12/2016 The Red Turtle
TFCA 11/12/2016 Zootopia
CCMA 11/12/2016 Zootopia
SDFCS 12/12/2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
DFWFCA 13/12/2016 Zootopia
CFCA 15/12/2016 Kubo and the Two Strings
SLFCA 18/12/2016 Zootopia

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

I guess one reason I didn't appreciate Kubo as much as some others did is because I was expecting a different movie entirely. For a movie that was supposed to be a reprieve from typical American animation tropes, it sure had a bunch of uninspired slapstick.

Of course, Zootopia has dumb moments of its own. The Godfather parody is a bit out of place. But what did Zootopia do better than Kubo? Well, I must say that the Disney movie had much better voice acting. Bateman and Goodwin are just right for their roles in Zootopia, but I can scarcely believe Theron and McConaughey in theirs for KuboWhy is McConaughey a rogue warrior? Even with goofy hi-jinks in the script, he seems out of place.

If there's one thing that I'll credit Kubo for, it's that it's a more focused movie. Probably didn't go through nearly as many drafts as Zootopia did, which can be a good thing. I'm a bit skeptical that the storytelling bureaucracy at Disney creates better movies per se: I think it just removes the more interesting elements of a story. There are some PG-moments of violence in Kubo that could have easily been in Zootopia, but the filmmakers at Disney feel constrained in making movies that fit into the family-friendly tradition.

Still, Kubo's story is kind of a mess. Too many twists and contrivances in the last third of the movie for my taste. Coraline was a much more memorable experience.

As for Zootopia? I just like it.

Both are very good, though.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think this is true actually. I have Zootopia and Kubo at 5 each out of a total of 12 awards. Which award(s) am I missing? Would have to be at least three for Kubo to have a majority.

Well, I'm kind of surprised that that list is a tie, with no movie having a plurality.

However, there are still the Florida Film Critics Circle and the Denver Film Critics Society awards.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, I'm kind of surprised that that list is a tie, with no movie having a plurality.

However, there are still the Florida Film Critics Circle and the Denver Film Critics Society awards.

Well, those haven't happened yet - so am I missing three awards or would it be correct to say neither film is winning a majority? eCFlPJk.png

Anyway, regarding Zootopia vs. Kubo, I wasn't expecting to like Kubo as much as Zootopia, but I'm a bit sad that it seems I didn't enjoy it as much as many (most?) other people did. I'm not even completely sure why. I didn't dislike it, there was nothing that stood out for me as being bad, I just somehow never got fully immersed into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Thanks, that's very helpful. Turns out I am missing more than three awards (nine!), but Kubo still falls just short of a majority (10/21).

Both fantastic films but overall Zootopia is the better film.   Look, story, dialogue, characters, acting  - all great quality.

Kubo is spectacular looking and the story is top notch but I had issues with some sub par dialogue and some of the voice acting truly let it down  - with Theron being really poor - to the point that it fell flat when it should have soared emotionally.  I hope it gets a quality dub in Japanese.

This year though my favorite is still The Little Prince, the core story is beyond beautiful told impeccably but I also really enjoyed the modern wrap around. 

Then there's Moana...

It's been a great year for animation and I haven't even seen Your Name and The Red Turtle yet.

• Like 2