FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

If someone asked me to pick three animated films for the 2010's I'd watch.  

How to Train Your Dragon

Inside Out

Wreck It Ralph

Zootopia would likely be just outside that list.  

I'd probably just go with the Laika Animation stuff and Rango. Aside from that, Inside Out and Toy Story 3. I didn't include the awesome foreign output though.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

If Affleck could survive Gigli and Jersey Girl then Live by Night not doing so well

critically shouldn't be a problem. 

Not a problem, but it might remove some of his clout as a director guaranteed to deliver the goods critically.

I'm sure some are already polishing their articles about what this might mean for his Batman movie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

And if you want to try to find a bit of an obscure one see if you can find a movie called shattered with Tom Berenger and Greta scacchi

That's a film, that I think is not only underrated, but one of the few, where at first watching it, at least me, didn't 'know' early what is up!

:popcorn::thinking: :popcorn::thinking::popcorn:  :wtf:-wow :slaphead::popcorn: :popcorn:

Really liked that film (yeah yeah, it has some flaws, I do not give a d...)

1 minute ago, JennaJ said:

Not a problem, but it might remove some of his clout as a director guaranteed to deliver the goods critically.

I'm sure some are already polishing their articles about what this might mean for his Batman movie.

Not really, no director has the perfect track record so It's not an issue really. 

Just now, filmlover said:

Patriots Day's sales for the Arclight are looking pretty weak tonight. I'm not expecting a very high PTA among its 7 locations (even though it'll probably have bearing on its wide opening on January 13).

Are people expecting it to break out? I'm not feeling it, personally.

Sing's RT score is slightly dropping again. now at 70%.

I was mildly excited and mostly curious when its first TIFF reactions were out, and now I've been thinking about what that Indiewire critic said the other day how Illumination is lowering the standard and expectations for animated films and I get what he means. Their formulas are working a little too well for them, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Illumination is not a follower anymore and in fact it is the leading studio of the market now with the highest gross average, and their decidedly cost-effective approach to filmmaking could drive other studios to follow the similar steps. People are more willingly giving them a free pass than they are to Pixar (some might counter-argue this point) because their target audience is much younger and they are pandering to them so well, but it spawns the idea that kids movies don't deserve that same artistic integrity in their narratives or aesthetics and are okay to be seen as a complete product. 

I feel somewhat cautious saying this as a Disney/Pixar fan that it would come off as obnoxious or double standards but I do feel it'd be good if Illumination steps out of their comfort zone and try something different once in a while, making something that is more than "it's fun and kids love it", at least raising the budget a bit (cause they can totally afford it) and developing a new rendering tool and experiment with their looks or something. Cause otherwise their movies would be the same a decade from now. 

Edited by yjs
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Ugh, WB should have never have given it an awards friendly release date, puts everyone's expectations sky high. The reviews aren't even bad, they're mixed, and most of them hint that there's a lot left in the editing room (I can imagine, it being WB, and the movie supposed to come out in October 2017 until they test screened it and suddenly it was coming out this year)

It basically has Gangster Squad's wide release date. 1/11 for Squad and 1/13 for Night. Maybe the limited early release is just in hopes of getting some nominations in non-major categories (technical stuff, etc).

MLB Plays Ball With Lucasfilm And Topps To Verify ‘Star Wars’ Collectables

Star Wars just became the first entertainment client for Authenticators, Inc. — an MLB-created operation that verifies legitimate autographs and merchandise such as game-used baseballs. It teamed with trading card company Topps and Disney’s Lucasfilm for today’s launch of starwarsauthentics.com, billed as a destination for “photos and authenticated autographs from iconic Star Wars actors.”

Although there’s little hard data on the problem, the FBI found in a 1997 investigation that forgeries accounted for 75% of all autographs being sold.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/major-league-baseball-mlb-authenticators-lucasfilm-topps-verify-star-wars-collectables-1201874431/

Just now, cannastop said:

Are people expecting it to break out? I'm not feeling it, personally.

It should at least do better than Live by Night on account of having much better reviews. I'm not expecting its limited run to mean much, it's only getting such to compete for awards.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It should at least do better than Live by Night on account of having much better reviews. I'm not expecting its limited run to mean much, it's only getting such to compete for awards.

But what about the wide release? What do you think of that?

3 minutes ago, yjs said:

oh btw have we discussed the Ghibli's come back project? I don't know much about the details but they are now under a new name?

Well, that's not technically Ghibli, but it's from one of the directors there. I guess it counts.

Ghibli's never coming back, I guess.

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Bit like Clint Eastwood, he had two back to back flops with Invictus and Hereafter but bounced back with American Sniper and Sully. As long as Affleck brings them a huge hit with The Batman, they'll let them direct whatever he likes 

I would guess Live By Night won't flop. General audience likes gangster movies.