FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

1 hour ago, Noiret Jak said:

Moana is still a dissapointing during this christmas...

Again you Moana fanatics need to lay off. It is only disappointing relative to unrealistic prerelease expectations based off of 1 film. Seriously yall are going to make a films great run seem ho-hum if you keep it up. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Again you Moana fanatics need to lay off. It is only disappointing relative to unrealistic prerelease expectations based off of 1 film. Seriously yall are going to make a films great run seem ho-hum if you keep it up. 

"Oh, this movie just made the same amount as Frozen. *Yawn*."

Although, I gues that Moana fans might be even more persistent if the movie actually fulfilled unrealistic expectations. Not that I would know anything about that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Why did they release Moana, with its sunny turquoise water island backdrop, for the holidays? The wintry Beauty & The Beast would have been better suited. The snowy appeal of Frozen was part of its success. 

Part of Disney's regiment. Summer is for Pixar. End of Story.

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The other thing about Moana is that it's just not very good. 

I disagree. I think Moana rises to the "very good' level.

I admit that I fueled unrealistic expectations for the movie. Not because I felt a great connection to it, but only because Zootopia, Finding Dory and The Secret Life of Pets did so well. I thought Sing would also reach that level.

• Like 6

Disney won’t be reporting weekend estimates until Monday morning

Rogue One is expected to close the four-day holiday with close to $90 million. ...as early as Sunday: $300 million domestically and $500 million worldwide.

Moana also showed legs on the holiday weekend,.. the four-day frame with nearly $15 million...

Sing... the three-day weekend with $33.17 million after opening mid-week a... $50.91 million four-day weekend t...

Passengers,,, four-day weekend in the $22-23 million range, ,,, $29-30 million by Monday.,,,projecting a $6.9 million haul on Sunday.

Assassin’s Creed ... the three-day weekend at $10.3 million. ... four-day grosses to come in at $15.1 million for a $22.5 million total. .... opened in 22 markets this weekend and brought in $14.2 million to combine for what will likely be a $36.7 million global debut come Monday. France ($5.1M) and Spain ($2M) posted the top overseas debuts for the film this weekend.

Why Him?, ...opened on Friday to $3.9 million ... three-day frame at $9.8 million. ...on Monday with $14.3 million.

Office Christmas Party, ... $5 million haul in the three-day frame ... to reach $7 million for the full four-day weekend, ...

Collateral Beauty ... film at $3.6 million i... a $14.6 million cume.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them... the three-day weekend with a $2.5 million ...

Manchester by the Sea grossed $3 million ...over the weekend, t...

Silence is... $125k from only 4 locations in the three-day weekend.... four-day total to come out to $170k and a $42.5k per-screen average.

Lion ...estimated $175k from 55 screens from its Friday and Saturday grosses,...added 39 screens for Friday and Saturday, netting $90 and $85 thousand on each day respectively. ...expands to 500 runs on Christmas day

Fences ...a significant Christmas-day expansion with $240k grossed from 4 locations across the last two weekends. Three and four day estimates for these two films will be coming in Monday morning.

Patriots Day opened across 7 locations in limited release on Wednesday,... resiliency on Saturday, dropping only 35% from Friday’s $52k to net  $34k and a $4,905 per-screen average. ...on track to posting a $40k per-screen average for the six-day holiday week (Wednesday-Monday), a debut comparable to Clint Eastwood’s Gran Torino which went on to gross $148 million following its December 2008 release.

Julieta also opened in limited release on Wednesday. The film is expected to finish the three-day weekend with $69k from 6 screens and an $11,666 per-screen average.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/sunday-update-rogue-one-sets-pace-sing-performs-well-debut/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Moana needs to increase on Monday to get to $250 million!  Come on Moana, find your way!

It'll increase today and then increase on Monday from Sunday. Jump tomorrow should be around 50%+. 200M should be done by Jan 2 and it should finish around 230-235M. Great result in the end.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

The tropical theme has nothing to do with Moana's "lack of success." 

This. 

Why people connect with some movies more (Frozen) and less with other (non-Frozen animated) is never going to be 100% known. If studios uncovered the mystery, than they would have hit it out of the park every single time. There are many variables and we can only make guesses. if I made my guess, it would be that Frozen had broader appeal due to its generic fairytale setting as opposed to more culturally specific that may not be understandable to everyone, themes of sisterly love as opposed to bravery/badassery whatever, killer Princess fashion (little girls love to dress as Princess and no matter how hard twitter faux-feminists are working on killing Princess genre and Princess appeal, it's not gonna happen), killer main song (Let it go), some romance, Elsa, Elsa, Elsa, something about Elsa's struggle just clicked with everyone which is why everyone wanted to be Elsa and not poor Anna. 

• Like 2