kayumanggi

A BAD MOMS CHRISTMAS | November 1 2017 | STX | Susan Sarandon, Cheryl Hines and Christine Baranski join | Trailers on page 2

In context, Bad Moms was not particularly well received by the usual metrics -  Rotten at 58%, only 64% Audience score, even on IMDB only a 6.2.  This movie could do just fine with poor reviews, etc

Also on google trends (since it's what I always talk about) the subregion interest is noteworthy: in order - NE, IA, WI, NH, MI, MO, SD, OH, ND, IL.  CA is #26 and NY is #36

Edited by Rumpot

21 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

Except all or most Christmas themed films come out at around this time.  So it's not really shitting the bed, it's following in the footsteps of other films like Home Alone, Elf and Grinch just to name a few.  Perhaps it should have waited another week, but the first week of November is still kind of common.

All of those movies came out 14 - 25+ years ago in a completely different era when movies ran longer.  Releasing a movie like this on Nov. 1st in 2017 is not a good move.  

• Like 4

Beloved... this is the one.

This movie is a rushed, lazy, and cheap film. There is no story: it's essentially a collection of skits barely strung together. The film has a quick and cheap feel due to the use of just a handful of bland locations, and the fact that the producers clearly couldn't get the main 3 cast members to shoot at the same time, our 3 leads only share 5 scenes together (I counted, it's literally just 5 scenes).

The basic layout of the movie is simple: the three leads have 1 barely written scene with their respective mum's, they then come together for some loud slow-mo foolishnes, and repeat. 

Each woman shares the same problem, they can't stand up for themselves. They can't say no, and that is it. These women are grown, they hold themselves up to a ridiculous outdated standard that comes across as if the writers haven't encountered either a woman or a mother in the last 20 years "why do I have to decorate?" "Why do I have to buy everyone I know a gift?", lady.... you don't it's 2017, and your kids ain't toddler's. Step into the goddamn 21st century.

The score sounds like it's public domain, the licensed music is used like a music video for these slow-mo montages of the leads being "fun," "kooky," and "outrageous" (OMG theyre dancing on santa, youre not supposed to do that) And worst of all it is loud as fuck.

(Imagine hearing this in Dolby surround sound)

Not only does this movie not have the decency to write jokes but they insult you further with a set up not for a sequel but a goddamn spinoff

OH FUCK THIS MOVIE. Fucking fuck this thing.

4/10 Abysmal. See this shit on TV if you must.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

56 minutes ago, AJG said:

This movie is a rushed, lazy, and cheap film. There is no story: it's essentially a collection of skits barely strung together. The film has a quick and cheap feel due to the use of just a handful of bland locations,

56 minutes ago, AJG said:

The score sounds like it's public domain

When I did read that it had a rumored 28m budget I suspected that very much, the sequel of a 180m success (with what it involved in above the line cost for the people returning) having just a 28m budget felt like a greedy cash-grab, trailer went on that way and the very short windows between the 2 movies was also an other sign (I doubt the sequel was that planned before the first one showed strong reaction to the trailer and good tracking).

Look like a perfect entry to define what a cash grab is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

All of those movies came out 14 - 25+ years ago in a completely different era when movies ran longer.  Releasing a movie like this on Nov. 1st in 2017 is not a good move.  

I disagree.  Your opinion is your own.  It's obvious they were following in the footsteps of other "Christmas" films.  Its seems they were trying to stay clear of DH2 and then stay clear of going up against Star Wars.  Where do you think it should have been released?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

I disagree.  Your opinion is your own.  It's obvious they were following in the footsteps of other "Christmas" films.  Its seems they were trying to stay clear of DH2 and then stay clear of going up against Star Wars.  Where do you think it should have been released?

I put earlier in the thread when Molly's Game abandoned 11/22 they should have moved it there.  It would have gone counter programming to Justice League and Coco and would have given it a clean run leading into 12/15 and likely would have held screens for Christmas.  

Now it will essentially be done by 12/1 in everywhere but the biggest multiplexes.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I put earlier in the thread when Molly's Game abandoned 11/22 they should have moved it there.  It would have gone counter programming to Justice League and Coco and would have given it a clean run leading into 12/15 and likely would have held screens for Christmas.  

Now it will essentially be done by 12/1 in everywhere but the biggest multiplexes.  

They likely didn't want to risk being another Horrible Bosses 2 (which opened and flopped on Thanksgiving weekend).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

They likely didn't want to risk being another Horrible Bosses 2 (which opened and flopped on Thanksgiving weekend).

Studios always looking for a scapegoat when the real problem is that they're incapable of determining whether certain movies warrant sequels. That's the ultimate problem.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1