CJohn

CJOHN's BEST OF 2016 TOP 10 REVEAL | OS Edition

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

There's still time to be quoted for God Denis :circles:

It won't be on the list.

However, I've confirmed with CJohn that Dunkirk Prologue is #1. And therefore I shall be quoted again. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

CJohn's Top 10 of 2016:

The Brothers Grimsby

The Darkness

The Forest

The Fifth Wave

Meet the Blacks

Mother's Day

Nine Lives

Pride + Prejudice + Zombies

Ratchet & Clank

When the Bough Breaks

BOOM!

No lie I actually had to look up 7 of these movies because I had no clue what they were.

• Like 1

5TH PLACE

Spoiler

HACKSAW RIDGE

hacksaw_ridge_ver2_xlg.png

An intense, brutal and gripping war movie incredibly well directed by Mel Gibson. Andrew Garfield is the lead in this movie about about family, faith, love and forgiveness all put to the test in an arena of violent conflict. The war moments were intense and horrifying, and the ending will make you shed a tear. The whole cast did a terrific job, especially Hugo Weaving and the hilarious Vince Vaughn.

What We Said:

Telemachos

I'd give it an A-. For the most part, this isn't a story with a lot of surprises, and the first half is very old-fashioned (not in a bad way, but it hits the beats you expect it to hit). But Gibson does a good job of setting up the firmness of Doss' resolve, only to test it with some really horrific battle scenes.

Water Bottle

Simply fantastic. If you aren't moved by the end, you are made of stone. Just about the whole cast brings their a-game, Gibson does a fantastic job directing, and it's just great.

Dexter of Suburbia

I really loved this film. Say what you want about Mel Gibson but he can direct.  Everyone in the film gives s good performance.  Horrors of war are shown in this film and it is one best films at doing so. The film hits you with an emotional punch. The runtime speeds by I though there was another 30 minutes left in the movie. 

Kalo

Hawksaw Ridge is riveting, bold, emotional, graphic, and one of the best films ever to grace the screen.

• Like 3

4TH PLACE

Spoiler

ARRIVAL

arrival_ver16_xlg.png

Villeneuve comes back with a cerebral and deep sci-fi movie that will leave you thinking about it for days after you see it. The movie is anchored by an amazing lead performance from Amy Adams. The movie is very ambitious, it aims high and it succeeds in the points it wants to make. It is also a very emotional and powerful movie. Arrival is a must watch experience for movie and sci-fi fans. 

What We Said:

La Binoche

ARRIVAL is a beautiful film, at once cerebral and deeply emotional. It's somber and deliberately paced, like a movie from the '70s. It takes its time as it slowly, confidently builds toward unlocking the big mystery of what the aliens want and the intimate mystery of who Amy Adams is. But above all it is a movie about ideas, grand ideas that I won't spoil but which are delivered through a very human lens. The twist ending makes you look at the entire movie in a different light and takes your breath away. Dennis Villeneuve is 3 for 3 with his foray into studio filmmaking and the great Amy Adams carries the movie with what may be her best performance yet. 

Panda

Arrival is a somber film that leaves you with a sense of hope, but more importantly it tries to guide you to a truth.  Arrival is a mirror to a fundamental flaw in human society, a flaw that has led humanity to so much violence.  Language and how we talk to one another is how our differences are formed, and the only way to settle them.

Humans have tried to settle this lack of understanding, and the fear it causes, with violence, with panic, with rushed conclusions.  We'd take every option, and take so much for granted, that we skip over the talking part (or spending time to see if the two people having a conversation are even using the same road map, the same framework).

Arrival was sci-fi, exactly how sci-fi is meant to be.  It critiques humanity, and offers hope.

WrathOfHan

What an amazing and thought-provoking movie. I had high expectations going into the movie, and the movie surpassed them. Denis Villeneuve did an outstanding job at handling the film. From tense scenes such as the first entry or restrained scenes like the opening, Villeneuve blends every element together to make a cohesive picture. Amy Adams gives a career best performance as Louise Banks. Her performance is never big or bombastic, yet it's human and contained. and provides a character everyone can relate to. Jeremy Renner is also very good as Ian Connolly, providing lightness in necessary moments but never distracting. Johan Johansson also composed his best score to date. Bradford Young's cinematography was beautiful, and I look forward to seeing how he handles Han Solo.

The movie is nothing if the story isn't strong, and Arrival transcends traditional storytelling and reaches new heights. Every new discovery leaves the audience guessing and anticipating what happens next. When the twist comes around, they're taken aback by not just what they're seeing but also piecing together earlier moments from the plot and Louise's flashforwards. Considering that Eric Heisserer wrote of one my least favorite movies of the year, this is redemption for him. 

Arrival is the rare film that I immediately want to watch again. The storytelling is rich, Villeneuve's directing is outstanding, and Amy Adams gives an amazing performance. I really could not have hoped for a better movie than this

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

4TH PLACE

Hide contents

ARRIVAL

arrival_ver16_xlg.png

Villeneuve comes back with a cerebral and deep sci-fi movie that will leave you thinking about it for days after you see it. The movie is anchored by an amazing lead performance from Amy Adams. The movie is very ambitious, it aims high and it succeeds in the points it wants to make. It is also a very emotional and powerful movie. Arrival is a must watch experience for movie and sci-fi fans. 

What We Said:

La Binoche

Panda

WrathOfHan

Aka what Interstellar wishes it was

3RD PLACE

Spoiler

HELL OR HIGH WATER

hell-or-high-water-onesheet.jpg

Taylor Sheridan keeps us on the edge of our seat with this slow burn thriller with great characters acted wonderfully by the trio Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine and Ben Foster. This neo-Western works splendidly as a self-contained tale of loyalty, loss and redemption. The amount of humor in it was a surprise. The final scene between Pine and Bridges gave me legit chills. I had to wait until December to see this in theaters, but it was totally worth it. 

What We Said: 

Blankments

Hell or High Water is a very compelling film. From the first shot to the end of the closing credits, viewers will be riveted by the saga of the Howards and the rangers. Featuring a smart script about some very dumb robbers, it manages to be many things at once: thrilling, touching, and even funny. The complexity is its greatest asset, although the cast is also excellent. Pine and Bridges are both stellar in the lead roles, and Birmingham steals the show as Bridges' partner.

Baumer

Hell or High Water has perhaps the best script of the year.  I'm in love with everything about this film.

mattmav45

Simple, but nonetheless powerful in its execution.  In other words, superior Western cinema.

• Like 4