WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

January 13:

The Bye Bye Man: STX has been doing pretty well. Bad Moms was a smash hit, and the company has had smaller but largely profitable successes with The Gift and The Boy. Faced with numerous delays, The Bye Bye Man won’t be one of their success stories, but it should still churn a profit considering how low the budget is. I expect a performance around The Forest. 8/20 (2.5x)

Live By Night: :sadben: continues. The movie is receiving scathing reviews and is the worst reviewed film directed by Affleck. Although The Accountant did well with terrible reviews, Live By Night is releasing in a much more crowded market than TA and didn’t perform well in limited yesterday. This movie absolutely needed strong reviews to stand out, but it’s going to get lost in the shuffle. My prediction could change as its run continues of course, but why should I hold back my countdown for a likely bomb? ;)  10/30 (3x)

Monster Trucks: Paging @That One Guy! I don’t know what to say about this movie other than it looks like an abomination. Sing will still be performing well (by my definition) going into January, so families will likely ignore this. 10/25 (2.5x)

Patriots Day: The second Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg collaboration of 2016 has been performing well in its limited release so far, and I expect it to outgross Deepwater Horizon despite carrying an R rating and lacking large formats. The Boston Marathon Bombing is still a semi-recent event and could help pique audiences’ interest in the film. 20/70 (3.5x)

Sleepless: The first in a string of low budget 2017 dramas nobody cares about, Sleepless is going to bomb hard. Considering how little it’s being discussed, you wouldn’t even know the movie is coming out in less than 3 weeks.  3/7 (2.33x)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

January 13:

The Bye Bye Man: STX has been doing pretty well. Bad Moms was a smash hit, and the company has had smaller but largely profitable successes with The Gift and The Boy. Faced with numerous delays, The Bye Bye Man won’t be one of their success stories, but it should still churn a profit considering how low the budget is. I expect a performance around The Forest. 8/20 (2.5x)

Live By Night: :sadben: continues. The movie is receiving scathing reviews and is the worst reviewed film directed by Affleck. Although The Accountant did well with terrible reviews, Live By Night is releasing in a much more crowded market than TA and didn’t perform well in limited yesterday. This movie absolutely needed strong reviews to stand out, but it’s going to get lost in the shuffle. My prediction could change as its run continues of course, but why should I hold back my countdown for a likely bomb? ;)  10/30 (3x)

Monster Trucks: Paging @That One Guy! I don’t know what to say about this movie other than it looks like an abomination. Sing will still be performing well (by my definition) going into January, so families will likely ignore this. 10/25 (2.5x)

Patriots Day: The second Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg collaboration of 2016 has been performing well in its limited release so far, and I expect it to outgross Deepwater Horizon despite carrying an R rating and lacking large formats. The Boston Marathon Bombing is still a semi-recent event and could help pique audiences’ interest in the film. 20/70 (3.5x)

Sleepless: The first in a string of low budget 2017 dramas nobody cares about, Sleepless is going to bomb hard. Considering how little it’s being discussed, you wouldn’t even know the movie is coming out in less than 3 weeks.  3/7 (2.33x)

Bye Bye Man is about right.

Live by Night is astoundingly low.  It seems to be much more of a crowdpleaser film than a critical hit.  If you were a member of the GA, and the choice was a downer drama about the Boston Marathon bombing, or Ben Affleck in an action packed gangster flick, what would you pick?

Despite what I just said, Patriots Day should probably do well in its own right, and make a similar amount to what you posted above.

Sleepless seems a bit too low.  I wouldn't say it's a surefire bomb just yet.  I think a bit higher on the OW and total would be better, something like 7/16?

As for the Monster Trucks prediction...we won't even discuss how wrong you are :).  That 25M total will be what it makes from its 7PM previews alone.  MARK MY WORDS.  Star Wars is going down.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Bye Bye Man is about right.

Live by Night is astoundingly low.  It seems to be much more of a crowdpleaser film than a critical hit.  If you were a member of the GA, and the choice was a downer drama about the Boston Marathon bombing, or Ben Affleck in an action packed gangster flick, what would you pick?

Despite what I just said, Patriots Day should probably do well in its own right, and make a similar amount to what you posted above.

Sleepless seems a bit too low.  I wouldn't say it's a surefire bomb just yet.  I think a bit higher on the OW and total would be better, something like 7/16?

As for the Monster Trucks prediction...we won't even discuss how wrong you are :).  That 25M total will be what it makes from its 7PM previews alone.  MARK MY WORDS.  Star Wars is going down.

I would choose the downer drama about the Boston Marathon bombing :lol: 

27 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

January 13:

"Bye Bye Man Goes Bye Bye"

"Monster Trucks Gets Run Over"

"Sleepless Falls Asleep"

"Live By Night Dies Today"

January headlines should be fun. 

• Like 2

One more weekend for tonight.

January 20:

The Founder: Considering Weinstein just delayed Amityville again with little notice, I have my doubts about this making its current release date. Oscar contenders will likely be expanding this weekend to take advantage of their nominations, so I think this will get lost in the shuffle. Maybe McDonalds will throw in free movie tickets with Big Macs? 6/18 (3x)

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone: I had no idea what this movie was about before I had to look it up for this writeup. This is a Christian comedy produced by WWE Studios and starring Brett Dalton, Hive himself. DAFUQ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! @CJohn @4815162342 This is going to end up like the countless other faith flicks (if you even want to call this one) of 2016, although maybe not as badly. 4/10 (2.5x)

Split: Welcome back M. Night Shyamalan! After the surprise hit that was The Visit, people began considering the possibility that Shyamalan still had it in him. Early reviews of Split are saying this film is on par with his early hits, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m predicting this to be our first 100M movie of 2017, and you can read why in my club: 35/110 (3.14x)

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage: Vin Diesel asks, “Shorty what you want? I got what you need!” This movie has it all: a 50 year old man skateboarding and skiing in the jungle, cliché dialogue, and more. It looks like a hilarious film. Not only will this forum be laughing at the film, but we’ll also be laughing at its box office when it inevitably bombs. The market for this movie is incredibly niche, and Split will likely be sucking up all of the buzz this weekend. 20/50 (2.5x)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

An R-rated horror movie starring and directed by unknowns:

f37bcb82cadd16f5d6c35db6fc961131.png

I see no reason why Split wouldn't go higher.

That is not really a horror movie, it is a thriller.