WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

So not really controversial predicts, just predict everything for next year, some of which may be a little high/low from the normal thinking? Just throw out your big predicts Han (hits and bombs), this is just an exercise in excess.

:sadben: 

January 27:

Bastards: Starring Ed Helms and Owen Wilson, this film is the directorial debut of Lawrence Sher, cinematographer of many contemporary comedies, and tells the story of two brothers trying to find their “dead” father. The movie looks like your typical January dump and probably won’t do much more than Masterminds. 8/20 (2.5x)

A Dog’s Purpose: Here’s a movie with some box office potential. A month will have passed since Sing released, and that will probably be below 2k theaters by this point. A Dog’s Purpose will have to make the bulk of its money in the first two weeks because of Lego Batman, but the relatively dry market should help it do decently. 20/70 (3.5x)

Gold: Here’s another Weinstein release that I’m doubting will release. Matthew McConaughey should give the movie a little bit of buzz, and I really do mean “little bit”.  5/13 (2.6x)

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter: This is another Underworld situation where I expect a small opening weekend and low multi, but I expect this to do even worse than Underworld because of Split. 12/24 (2x)

• Like 3

February 3:

Rings: Brad Grey, let’s have a talk. 2016 was a pretty shitty year for your studio, don’t you think? 10 Cloverfield Lane and soon to be Fences are the only movies you produced last year that were actually profitable in theatrical (Beyond was profitable once it reached home media :cloud9: ), and Arrival, your other financial success, wasn’t even produced by you and went to Sony overseas. You need the money Brad, and it’s ok that you’re making a cheap horror sequel nobody wanted………. Wait. 

*goes to Wikipedia*

Budget

$33 million

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! :ohmygod: Brad Grey, just stop. We know you’re trying to propel the eventual sale of Paramount by Viacom. Please don’t delay this for the third time (this was coming out last April, folks!) and let it die a miserable death by the hands of M. Night. Shaymalan and James McAvoy.  6/10 (1.66x)

Same Kind of Different as Me: …….You’re releasing TWO MOVIES this weekend Brad? Good God. You don’t need cheap (or is it?) Oscar bait (if you even want to call it so) that will bomb. You can do much better than this. The funny thing is this will probably do worse than Rings on OW. 4/10 (2.5x)

The Space Between Us: I’ve had enough of talking about that fuckup of a studio and their delayed films. Now, let’s move onto STX and their film The Space Between Us………

I’ve had enough of this shit. Bring on February 10th for the love of God! 10/25 (2.5x)

• Like 1

February 10:

Fifty Shades Darker: This is a difficult movie to predict. Although the first one opened very high, its legs were horrendous because of the fanbase rushing to see it OW. Now that Fifty Shades of Grey has died in popularity a little bit, I don’t think legs will be quite as bad as they were two years ago, but I don’t see this having much more than a 2x or hitting 100M. 40/90 (2.25x)

John Wick: Chapter Two: WICK’S BACK, BABY! The sequel to 2014’s surprise hit is releasing this year, and I expect it to increase a lot from its predecessor. Many discovered it on home video and TV, and this is exactly the kind of universe audiences want to return to. Even with Fifty Shades and LEGO Batman releasing the same weekend, Keanu has nothing to worry about. 25/75 (3x)

The LEGO Batman Movie: Here’s another box office wildcard and our first major event of 2017. The LEGO Movie opened to just under 70M nearly three years ago and has become a mainstay in pop culture. Batman was one of the most acclaimed parts of the film and is still insanely popular. Additionally, nearly two months will have passed since Sing, and A Dog’s Purpose will be doing under 10M by this point. The floor for opening weekend is 70M, and it could go as high as 130M depending on how well Warner Brothers markets this. The marketing push will begin in a few weeks, so we’ll see how it ends up. Originally I thought this would have legs barely over a 3x because of the amount of movies releasing in March, but Presidents Day falls on its second weekend. Everything will connect together like LEGO bricks and deliver an excellent performance. 110/375 (3.41x)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

February 10:

Fifty Shades Darker: This is a difficult movie to predict. Although the first one opened very high, its legs were horrendous because of the fanbase rushing to see it OW. Now that Fifty Shades of Grey has died in popularity a little bit, I don’t think legs will be quite as bad as they were two years ago, but I don’t see this having much more than a 2x or hitting 100M. 40/90 (2.25x)

John Wick: Chapter Two: WICK’S BACK, BABY! The sequel to 2014’s surprise hit is releasing this year, and I expect it to increase a lot from its predecessor. Many discovered it on home video and TV, and this is exactly the kind of universe audiences want to return to. Even with Fifty Shades and LEGO Batman releasing the same weekend, Keanu has nothing to worry about. 25/75 (3x)

The LEGO Batman Movie: Here’s another box office wildcard and our first major event of 2017. The LEGO Movie opened to just under 70M nearly three years ago and has become a mainstay in pop culture. Batman was one of the most acclaimed parts of the film and is still insanely popular. Additionally, nearly two months will have passed since Sing, and A Dog’s Purpose will be doing under 10M by this point. The floor for opening weekend is 70M, and it could go as high as 130M depending on how well Warner Brothers markets this. The marketing push will begin in a few weeks, so we’ll see how it ends up. Originally I thought this would have legs barely over a 3x because of the amount of movies releasing in March, but Presidents Day falls on its second weekend. Everything will connect together like LEGO bricks and deliver an excellent performance. 110/375 (3.41x)

John Wick is doing like $35m. It's too niche, and will drop off from the original.

LEGO Batman is making less than $200m IMO