WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

pro.boxoffice gave Get Out $8m cumulatively

PROS:

• Blumhouse Productions is the producer behind this horror film, about a man who starts to suspect eerie goings-on at his girlfriend’s parents’ house when he visits there for the first time. The horror production company has had several decent horror hits in recent years on relatively low budgets, including the Paranormal Activity franchise, the Insidious trilogy, and 2015’s The Visit with $65.2 million.

CONS:

• Jordan Peele, one half of modern legend comedy duo Key & Peele, couldn’t attract audiences as an actor with his April film Keanu, a box office dud with only $20.5 million. What are the odds he’ll be able to attract audiences behind the camera instead as a writer-director? Besides, February 2017 will be an incredibly busy month for horror at the box office, with Ringsand an as-yet-untitled horror film on February 3, plus A Cure for Wellness and Patient Zero on February 17. Split, a late January release, could still potentially be making some money by late February if it holds on well.

April 14:

The Fate of the Furious: Here’s the good Vin Diesel-fest we’re looking for! Once again teasing a final ride, F8 of the Furious is going to test the strength of family. The trailer has been well received, and I’m not convinced it’ll lose too much of Furious 7’s audience. xXx won’t have an effect on this movie’s box office; as I said a few days ago, that movie appeals to an exXxtreme niche and not the GA. My body is ready for a real family movie. 120/310 (2.58x)

Spark: This is the April animation dump of the year. It premiered at a Toronto animation festival earlier this year, yet I can’t find anything about it online outside of an IMDb page. Bombs away! 2/4 (2x)

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

It will definitely be interesting to see how much of F7's audience carries over. I think a lot will, but Fast & Furious 6 "only" got to $238m. I don't think $300m can be taken for granted.

F6 didn't really add anything too substantial from F5, that's why it only mustered a 10% increase from the last one. While F8 lost two mainstays, they kept the rest and added Charlize Theron, Academy Award winner and star of well-renowned car action film Mad Max Fury Road.

April 21:

Born in China: Well, at least Disney has figured out how to use its nature documentary brand: have it appeal to Chinese audiences! The movie actually released in August in China and didn’t do so hot over there. Nice try, Disney. Domestically, I expect numbers similar to the last few Disneynature films. 5/15 (3x)

Unforgettable: Wait a minute, this isn’t a September Screen Gems film! The only thing that’ll be unforgettable about Unforgettable is how many “Worst of 2017” and “Biggest Bombs of 2017” lists it’ll be on. 10/20 (2x)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Terrific said:

Controversy about predictions. 

Controversy about how controversial it is. 

This thread has delivered already. 

Controversy within a controversy? I guess you could say it's... contraception.

• Like 7

April 28:

Annihilation: I don’t care that “Untitled Paramount Event Horror Film in IMAX” is currently scheduled for this weekend; we all know this is going to be Alex Garland’s Annihilation. Ex Machina was a critical hit, a big success for A24, and the surprise winner of Best Visual Effects at the Oscars last year. The film has a strong cast, and if Paramount can successfully market this (HA), I could see this grossing over 100M. 30/90 (3x)

The Circle: This film has a lot of star power in it. Tom Hanks, Emma Watson, and John Boyega star in this film based off the bestselling book. Unfortunately, the book has mixed reviews, and it doesn’t seem like the movie is straying far from the source material according to those who’ve read the book. The trailer has performed ok on YouTube though, and it’s possible The Circle can take advantage of a barren market for adult dramas. 20/50 (2.5x)

How to be a Latin Lover: The trailer has barely registered on YouTube. This film isn’t happening. 3/6 (2x)

• Like 3