WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

May 5:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: You may recall that in my writeup for John Wick I said it was the surprise hit of 2014 and the sequel will increase because it’s a universe audiences want to see more of. I’m surprised nobody questioned that wording for the actual surprise hit of 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy. GOTG started a trend that proves audiences will show up for anything Marvel makes, and it’s for good reason! The first film introduced intriguing characters and memorable quotes, and Vol. 2 looks to continue the tone we saw in the first film. Additionally, there’s a giant factor that will boost interest in the film: Baby Groot. Everyone and their mother wants a Baby Groot to call their own after he stole the show in the trailer! Although I think the film will be a massive hit at the box office, the trailer views have me concerned. The views aren’t a disaster, but they pale compared to some other 2017 blockbusters, including Logan, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, The Mummy, Dunkirk, Justice League, and even Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell. I think the trailer views aren’t going to indicate this film’s box office, but let’s not act surprised if this only grosses around the first’s level domestically. 170/420 (2.47x)

• Like 5

Dude, you do know that Guardians has the most viewed superhero movie teaser in 24 hours (and 2nd most viewed in general under 24hrs, behind the 2nd Civil War trailer)? Trailer views aren't just measured by YT alone.

GOTG V2 has everything to comfortably outgross the original. High 300's is the bar to match imo, 400 being the very adequate case scenario goal.

• Like 5

May 12:

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword: It has come to my attention that I haven’t blasted Kevin Tsujihara that much in this writeup. I’m going to change that right now. Kevin, you lucked out with The Legend of Tarzan. It wasn’t a hit for the studio because of how high the budget was, but it grossed enough to save it from being a loss for WB. That lightning isn’t going to strike twice with King Arthur. Although the trailer performed well, it was released in the midst of Comic Con and received a mixed response. The only thing we have heard or seen about the film since Comic Con is its delay to May from March. That doesn’t exactly inspire much confidence! Guy Ritchie is part of Kevin’s elite group of filmmakers who can get anything greenlit at WB, and this strategy is going to bite Tsujihara in the ass once again. Bombs away! 15/40 (2.66x)

Lowriders: This movie premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival last year to little fanfare. The only review is a 70 from Variety. It’s hard to see this doing anything notable. 5/15 (3x)

Snatched: Here’s a film that will get basement dwellers on the internet mad! Trainwreck was a critical and commercial success for Universal in 2015. Unfortunately, this movie looks nowhere near the quality of Trainwreck. The trailer has generated very little buzz online, and the buzz that exists isn’t too positive. Mother’s Day might give this a strong opening weekend, but it’s looking like this will be a real trainwreck. 10/25 (2.5x)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

May 5:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: You may recall that in my writeup for John Wick I said it was the surprise hit of 2014 and the sequel will increase because it’s a universe audiences want to see more of. I’m surprised nobody questioned that wording for the actual surprise hit of 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy. GOTG started a trend that proves audiences will show up for anything Marvel makes, and it’s for good reason! The first film introduced intriguing characters and memorable quotes, and Vol. 2 looks to continue the tone we saw in the first film. Additionally, there’s a giant factor that will boost interest in the film: Baby Groot. Everyone and their mother wants a Baby Groot to call their own after he stole the show in the trailer! Although I think the film will be a massive hit at the box office, the trailer views have me concerned. The views aren’t a disaster, but they pale compared to some other 2017 blockbusters, including Logan, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, The Mummy, Dunkirk, Justice League, and even Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell. I think the trailer views aren’t going to indicate this film’s box office, but let’s not act surprised if this only grosses around the first’s level domestically. 170/420 (2.47x)

:WHATanabe:

May 19:

Alien: Covenant: RIDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image result for denzel my man gif

After the smash hit known as The Martian, people are excited about Ridley Scott again! Prometheus was a mixed bag to many, but there’s always potential for future Alien movies. This site is divided on the trailer, but I think it looks fantastic. A lot of the internet agrees with me as well because the trailer is already at 12.5M views after a week. I don’t think Prometheus will have much of an effect on how this movie does; if it does, it’ll be on OW. Alien is back! 45/120 (2.67x)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul: Fox, why are you rebooting this series? Wimpy Kid isn’t very relevant anymore, and the original adaptations weren’t exactly smashes either. At least this shouldn’t be a loss for the studio. 10/30 (3x)

Everything, Everything: This is a YA adaptation from a book that generated very little buzz and stars nobody of note. Ethan will probably love this, but this won’t be for the rest of the world. 3/6 (2x)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

May 19:

Alien: Covenant: RIDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image result for denzel my man gif

After the smash hit known as The Martian, people are excited about Ridley Scott again! Prometheus was a mixed bag to many, but there’s always potential for future Alien movies. This site is divided on the trailer, but I think it looks fantastic. A lot of the internet agrees with me as well because the trailer is already at 12.5M views after a week. I don’t think Prometheus will have much of an effect on how this movie does; if it does, it’ll be on OW. Alien is back! 45/120 (2.67x)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul: Fox, why are you rebooting this series? Wimpy Kid isn’t very relevant anymore, and the original adaptations weren’t exactly smashes either. At least this shouldn’t be a loss for the studio. 10/30 (3x)

Everything, Everything: This is a YA adaptation from a book that generated very little buzz and stars nobody of note. Ethan will probably love this, but this won’t be for the rest of the world. 3/6 (2x)

Is Diary of a Wimpy Kid really a reboot? It replaces the cast but is a sequel.

Plus the movies are cheap and make decent returns. It's not surprising that they are making another one