WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Mummy: People on here are underestimating this film. The first trailer exploded online and has some of the highest trailer views for any 2017 movie. Additionally, the IMAX trailer with messed up audio exploded and got people talking more. Do not underestimate how much people love The Mummy. The first film adjusts to 260M, and the second adjusts to 303M. Even The Scorpion King adjusts to 133M! If they had 3D and large formats, the first would have grossed over 300M and the second might have approached 400M. Tom Cruise hasn’t had a big hit lately outside of the Mission Impossible series, but he can be a big draw in the right role. I have had enough of people saying these predictions aren’t controversial. Many have gone outside of the normal range, but people still blast me for this. You want some fucking controversy? I’ll give it to you. The Mummy is going to do to the Monsters Cinematic Universe what Iron Man did to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (I’m just realizing they have the same initials :lol: ). The biggest box office hits come unexpected, and The Mummy has all the right components to break out: a bankable star, buzz, and nostalgia. A Cruise Missile is incoming. You’ve been warned.  

Reveal hidden contents

Lol.  I don't even have it higher than 90m DOM for my predicts.  

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Mummy: People on here are underestimating this film. The first trailer exploded online and has some of the highest trailer views for any 2017 movie. Additionally, the IMAX trailer with messed up audio exploded and got people talking more. Do not underestimate how much people love The Mummy. The first film adjusts to 260M, and the second adjusts to 303M. Even The Scorpion King adjusts to 133M! If they had 3D and large formats, the first would have grossed over 300M and the second might have approached 400M. Tom Cruise hasn’t had a big hit lately outside of the Mission Impossible series, but he can be a big draw in the right role. I have had enough of people saying these predictions aren’t controversial. Many have gone outside of the normal range, but people still blast me for this. You want some fucking controversy? I’ll give it to you. The Mummy is going to do to the Monsters Cinematic Universe what Iron Man did to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (I’m just realizing they have the same initials :lol: ). The biggest box office hits come unexpected, and The Mummy has all the right components to break out: a bankable star, buzz, and nostalgia. A Cruise Missile is incoming. You’ve been warned.  

Hide contents

130/350 (2.69x)

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Can't say I disagree, I think it'll breakout too :ph34r:.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reveal hidden contents

That prediction is bonkers but The Mummy should breakout.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Trailer views.  Tom Cruise.  Known property.

The trailer has so many views because it was promoted on youtube. It was on the front page for 5 days. Guardians 2 was only 1 day for example.

TC has not had an original movie OVER 100M in more than 10 years.

Known property, yes, but people hate that it was rebooted. Read the comments on youtube. people want brendan fraser back lol

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

June 16:

Cars 3: We all laughed at this movie. “Another Cars? WHY?!?!?!” Pixar heard us, and they dropped that shockingly good trailer. The internet ate it up, and its YouTube trailer views are close to Despicable Me 3’s views. Cars obviously won’t be anywhere near as big, but Disney successfully generated buzz for a movie few were anticipating. Don’t be surprised if this hits 200M. 60/180 (3x)

Rock That Body: This film is essentially Weekend at Bernie’s meets Spring Breakers. It has a strong cast that includes Scarlett Johansson, and if GITS does as well as I expect it to, that could also generate interest. This might be an appealing option for young women, but the R rating could hurt it. It also faces competition from The House with Will Ferrell in two weeks, and Bad Dads comes out 4 weeks later. Legs will likely be weak unless it’s a real winner. 20/55 (2.75x)

• Like 1

Just now, Alli said:

The trailer has so many views because it was promoted on youtube. It was on the front page for 5 days. Guardians 2 was only 1 day for example.

Known property, yes, but people hate that it was rebooted. Read the comments on youtube. people want brendan fraser back lol

Like I told you before, the trending list on YouTube does not have sponsored videos. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alli said:

It wasn't promoted by YouTube.  Only reason it was on front page for so long is cause it was trending for so long.

Did you just unironically refer to The Mummy as an "original movie?"  :rofl:

I don't think a generally solid like/dislike ratio means people "hate" it.

• Like 1

June 23:

Transformers: The Last Knight: Michael Bay released the first entry in the Transformers series nearly 10 years ago. The first three films were gigantic grossers domestically, but Age of Extinction suffered a loss of over 100M from Dark of the Moon and a fudged OW. The trailer for The Last Knight was released nearly a month ago and only has 8.8M views on the most popular video. Its views are the lowest of the major tentpoles releasing in May and June, and it’s even below War for the Planet of the Apes. The dedicated fans of the series will still go out and see the film, but there’s simply very little buzz for the movie. This film has China going for it, at least. 50/125 (2.5x)

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It wasn't promoted by YouTube.  Only reason it was on front page for so long is cause it was trending for so long.

Did you just unironically refer to The Mummy as an "original movie?"  :rofl:

I don't think a generally solid like/dislike ratio means people "hate" it.

It was trending because people were mocking it. Remember the cut of the trailer that cut out the sound effects and kept the background music and screams? Very few trailers have poor like/dislike ratios no matter how bad people mention it is. Poor ratios are generally for other reasons than the general quality.

Edited by Jay Beezy

6 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

It was trending because people were mocking it. Remember the cut of the trailer that cut out the sound effects and kept the background music and screams? Very few trailers have poor like/dislike ratios no matter how bad people mention it is. Poor ratios are generally for other reasons than the general quality.

The trailer wasn't the poorly cut IMAX trailer though.

• Like 1