WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

On 12/30/2016 at 3:06 AM, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

Beauty and the Beast: This movie is going to be absolutely massive. Every piece of news released for this film generates so much buzz on social media, and the YouTube trailer views are outstanding as well. This will easily become Disney’s highest grossing live action remake, but by how much will it beat The Jungle Book? 400M isn’t locked, but almost everyone is predicting that much. I wouldn’t rule out a Jurassic World-type run either considering how nostalgic people are for the original. Personally, I’m going in the middle with 500M. 150/500 (3.33x)

You were right. movie is massive! good prediction

On 12/30/2016 at 5:51 PM, WrathOfHan said:

March 24:

CHiPs: 2017 is the year studios try to make another 21 Jump Street happen. Could it happen with this and Baywatch? I’ll tell you my thoughts on the latter soon enough, but I have no idea what to make of this. The movie was recently pushed up from August 2017, so that could be encouraging. I don’t know. It’s hard to predict a studio comedy coming out soon with a stray theme, but I gotta do something. 15/40 (2.67x)

Life: When the trailer for Life dropped out of nowhere on The Walking Dead a couple months ago, it got a pretty good response. Sure, it looks like a rip-off of Alien and Gravity, but I’d say some potential is there. The YT trailer views are ok, but not out of this world (no pun intended). Given the crowded market, I don’t think this will be a gigantic hit, but it could do very well with proper marketing. 20/60 (3x)

Power Rangers: I’m really torn on this movie. I think it looks godawful and 90’s kids are blinded by nostalgia, but the film garnered a lot of buzz when the trailer dropped. It’s hard to say whether or not that was just the curiosity factor. I’m going to look incredibly two-faced when I make my prediction for other films with a lot of trailer views, but I don’t think this is going to do well with BATB’s second weekend dominating. 30/75 (2.5x)

:ohmygod:

Under estimated PR

Edited by Alli

On 1/1/2017 at 9:17 PM, WrathOfHan said:

May 5:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: You may recall that in my writeup for John Wick I said it was the surprise hit of 2014 and the sequel will increase because it’s a universe audiences want to see more of. I’m surprised nobody questioned that wording for the actual surprise hit of 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy. GOTG started a trend that proves audiences will show up for anything Marvel makes, and it’s for good reason! The first film introduced intriguing characters and memorable quotes, and Vol. 2 looks to continue the tone we saw in the first film. Additionally, there’s a giant factor that will boost interest in the film: Baby Groot. Everyone and their mother wants a Baby Groot to call their own after he stole the show in the trailer! Although I think the film will be a massive hit at the box office, the trailer views have me concerned. The views aren’t a disaster, but they pale compared to some other 2017 blockbusters, including Logan, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, The Mummy, Dunkirk, Justice League, and even Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell. I think the trailer views aren’t going to indicate this film’s box office, but let’s not act surprised if this only grosses around the first’s level domestically. 170/420 (2.47x)

:jeb!:

• Like 2

On 3/01/2017 at 9:52 AM, WrathOfHan said:

May 26:

Baywatch: Here’s 2017’s other attempt at making another Jump Street, and it sure as shit won’t happen. The movie looks astonishingly and offensively bad. I don’t care that there’s eye candy for everyone; that’s what the internet and True Detective exist for (did you seriously think I’d go this entire writeup without mentioning TD?). It’s a good thing this is going to bomb!

*checks trailer views*

Well shit. The trailer views are actually pretty decent. This won’t do insane numbers due to competition, but it might be a light success. 25/70 (2.8x)

Nice prediction, @WrathOfHan.

Less said about the POTC one, the better methinks.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, WrathOfHan said:

September 8:

It: It turns out there aren’t any films releasing on Labor Day weekend yet! It is a tough film to predict. It has had a rough production schedule. It originally was going to be directed by Cary Fukunaga and star Will Poulter as Pennywise, but It now stars yet another Skarsgard and is directed by the director of Mama. It is one of Stephen King’s more notable works, but It wasn’t exactly something people were asking to be remade. Its cast and crew isn’t notable either. It will probably be a decent success due to the lack of films in September, but a minor on at that. 20/50 (2.5x)

Ha!

On 1/6/2017 at 6:54 PM, WrathOfHan said:

November 17:

Justice League: I feel like people are vastly overestimating this film’s box office potential. I know we’re all hoping this is better than DC’s previous films, but just because this is the Justice League doesn’t mean it’s going to increase from BVS; the trinity was already in BVS, so it’s not as if this is something we’ve NEVER seen before. Another factor is going to be how well Wonder Woman performs. If that has bad reception, Justice League is going to lose a lot of hype. I’ll remain optimistic for now, but this movie is a real wildcard. 120/300 (2.5x)

A smaller opening than MoS and Suicide Squad

Really?

Jeeeeesus. 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:14 AM, WrathOfHan said:

September 8:

It: It turns out there aren’t any films releasing on Labor Day weekend yet! It is a tough film to predict. It has had a rough production schedule. It originally was going to be directed by Cary Fukunaga and star Will Poulter as Pennywise, but It now stars yet another Skarsgard and is directed by the director of Mama. It is one of Stephen King’s more notable works, but It wasn’t exactly something people were asking to be remade. Its cast and crew isn’t notable either. It will probably be a decent success due to the lack of films in September, but a minor on at that. 20/50 (2.5x)

laughter.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, raegr said:

A smaller opening than MoS and Suicide Squad

Really?

Jeeeeesus. 

WOH underpredicted JL?

I always assumed that it would outgross WW, but now it's confirmed: Justice League will make twice as much as Wonder Woman OS, while easily making at least 100 million more than Wondy's film domestic.

:D