WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

March 17:

Beauty and the Beast: This movie is going to be absolutely massive. Every piece of news released for this film generates so much buzz on social media, and the YouTube trailer views are outstanding as well. This will easily become Disney’s highest grossing live action remake, but by how much will it beat The Jungle Book? 400M isn’t locked, but almost everyone is predicting that much. I wouldn’t rule out a Jurassic World-type run either considering how nostalgic people are for the original. Personally, I’m going in the middle with 500M. 150/500 (3.33x)

The Belko Experiment: Written by James Gunn, The Belko Experiment premiered at TIFF a few months ago to a mixed response. This maybe could have done more on a less crowded date, but there’s way too much competition in March for this to standout. 8/20 (2.5x)

Free Fire: This is a movie that looks like a ton of fun. Early reactions from TIFF and BFI are favorable but don’t give me much confidence that general audiences will go for this movie. Then again, we all thought The Witch, another A24 film that went wide right away, would bomb, but it ended up being a great success for the studio. 5/15 (3x)

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

Beauty and the Beast: This movie is going to be absolutely massive. Every piece of news released for this film generates so much buzz on social media, and the YouTube trailer views are outstanding as well. This will easily become Disney’s highest grossing live action remake, but by how much will it beat The Jungle Book? 400M isn’t locked, but almost everyone is predicting that much. I wouldn’t rule out a Jurassic World-type run either considering how nostalgic people are for the original. Personally, I’m going in the middle with 500M. 150/500 (3.33x)

The Belko Experiment: Written by James Gunn, The Belko Experiment premiered at TIFF a few months ago to a mixed response. This maybe could have done more on a less crowded date, but there’s way too much competition in March for this to standout. 8/20 (2.5x)

Free Fire: This is a movie that looks like a ton of fun. Early reactions from TIFF and BFI are favorable but don’t give me much confidence that general audiences will go for this movie. Then again, we all thought The Witch, another A24 film that went wide right away, would bomb, but it ended up being a great success for the studio. 5/15 (3x)

:wub:

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

Perfection.

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

People were predicting more than $500m? Jeez

So far, so good

23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

I semi-agree with you on everything so far except Logan, so I must be very controversial too. I have BatB doing $430m-ish right now, but $500m+ could easily happen depending on reviews.

I expect the reviews for the movie to be great for Beauty and the Beast, esp. if they take the nostalgia route. TFA and Jurassic World were able to inflate their reviews w/the nostalgia factor

Edited by fracfar

14 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

The problem with Logan is that it's selling a movie with a tone that's completely opposite to Deadpool. I wholeheartedly agree it could easily be the best solo Wolverine movie. Plus the fact that it's Hugh Jackman's final hurrah as his iconic character. It just doesn't come off as the uber crowd pleaser Deadpool was in its marketing and final product. Not to mention it lacks the self-awareness. That'll affect its opening weekend.

Yeah, good points for sure, but still, it has been proven that even the unlikeliest of films can explode w/good marketing. Even if Logan doesn't have Deadpool's advantages, its trailer still broke the internet and made everybody excited for a film that no one was really talking about THAT much. And it does help that it's Hugh Jackman's last film as Wolverine. Again, it's a wildcard. OW could do Ant-Man, could do Doctor Strange, it could do Man Of Steel (without Walmart) - I see it as one of those three benchmarks.

• Like 1

March 24:

CHiPs: 2017 is the year studios try to make another 21 Jump Street happen. Could it happen with this and Baywatch? I’ll tell you my thoughts on the latter soon enough, but I have no idea what to make of this. The movie was recently pushed up from August 2017, so that could be encouraging. I don’t know. It’s hard to predict a studio comedy coming out soon with a stray theme, but I gotta do something. 15/40 (2.67x)

Life: When the trailer for Life dropped out of nowhere on The Walking Dead a couple months ago, it got a pretty good response. Sure, it looks like a rip-off of Alien and Gravity, but I’d say some potential is there. The YT trailer views are ok, but not out of this world (no pun intended). Given the crowded market, I don’t think this will be a gigantic hit, but it could do very well with proper marketing. 20/60 (3x)

Power Rangers: I’m really torn on this movie. I think it looks godawful and 90’s kids are blinded by nostalgia, but the film garnered a lot of buzz when the trailer dropped. It’s hard to say whether or not that was just the curiosity factor. I’m going to look incredibly two-faced when I make my prediction for other films with a lot of trailer views, but I don’t think this is going to do well with BATB’s second weekend dominating. 30/75 (2.5x)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 17:

NOW WE ARE TALKING. THIS. THIS IS WHAT CONTROVERSIAL IS ALL ABOUT. YOU ARE FINALLY LIVING UP TO YOUR THREAD'S TITLE.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 24:

Power Rangers: I’m really torn on this movie. I think it looks godawful and 90’s kids are blinded by nostalgia, but the film garnered a lot of buzz when the trailer dropped. It’s hard to say whether or not that was just the curiosity factor. I’m going to look incredibly two-faced when I make my prediction for other films with a lot of trailer views, but I don’t think this is going to do well with BATB’s second weekend dominating. 30/75 (2.5x)

However, in the months since that trailer, Lionsgate has released almost nothing.  We have not seen Bryan Cranston as Zordon being marketed anywhere, there is no battle footage of the Rangers nor of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa, nor the Megazord.  We have seen a couple of zords seen through foggy weather.  Consider those are the main selling points of Power Rangers, and most of these things have been revealed through Bandai's toys.  Lionsgate's promotions department must be aware of the calendar.  It does not make sense for them to not be promoting a major event film 3 months before its release, when there are huge movies out in December, and some in the Ranger fandom are still convinced that Lionsgate is going to give a major promotional push to Power Rangers during the NFL playoffs, when everything else seems to say otherwise.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 24:

CHiPs: 2017 is the year studios try to make another 21 Jump Street happen. Could it happen with this and Baywatch? I’ll tell you my thoughts on the latter soon enough, but I have no idea what to make of this. The movie was recently pushed up from August 2017, so that could be encouraging. I don’t know. It’s hard to predict a studio comedy coming out soon with a stray theme, but I gotta do something. 15/40 (2.67x)

Don't think moving it from a summer month to a non-summer month is necessarily encouraging. Not to mention, no trailer yet.