K1stpierre

Tangerine (2015)

Grade it:  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

My review from last year: A movie that treats every single character in it as a fully sympathetic human being is rare to come by. Tangerine manages to pull that off, and it's wonderful. The first two-thirds of it is perfect comedic chaos, as things build to a dramatic head in the final third just leaves you oddly melancholy about the film in an excellent way. The all-iPhone cinematography is gorgeous, and director Sean Baker pulls off the entire film with an energy rare to see in any film, independent or Hollywood. Taylor and Rodriguez are both revelations, but the whole cast pulls their weight without a weak actor in the bunch. Tangerine is the surprise of the year to me; a film I expected just be okay with but actually ended up captivating me more than most of my "anticipated" films did. It's a true wonder.

My review from my Christmas rewatch: Tangerine is simply beautiful. The iPhone cinematography is almost revolutionary, and the performances by the two leads are absolutely delightful. Baker's script finds beauty in every character, and it's near impossible not to feel deep love and sympathy for everyone in it. It's a Christmas miracle, and a near masterpiece. A

• Like 1