Neo

Doctor Strange | 11.4.2016 | Teaser trailer released (pg 155) | Features an "intense crash sequence"

I realize that. I was speaking from a more creativity standpoint. IMO, TA2 and TA3 should serve as the sequels; the characters are already bridged together. What would be the point of having Tony fight alone again in IM4? And if he doens't fight alone, what is the point of calling it IM4? Surely if another threat comes, they won't come up with the same idea of all the Avengers having no contact. IMO, this is another Hobbit - taking something and stretching it out for no reason. With TA2 and TA3, you'll essentially have IM6.

That's why I think eventually people will get tired of so many comic book films.
  • Like 1

I realize that. I was speaking from a more creativity standpoint. IMO, TA2 and TA3 should serve as the sequels; the characters are already bridged together. What would be the point of having Tony fight alone again in IM4? And if he doens't fight alone, what is the point of calling it IM4? Surely if another threat comes, they won't come up with the same idea of all the Avengers having no contact. IMO, this is another Hobbit - taking something and stretching it out for no reason. With TA2 and TA3, you'll essentially have IM6.

I kinda agree with you. I also feel like he should get his trilogy, then appear in TA sequels only. I love the character, but even in comics, I love him the most as an Avenger, so I would be content with seeing him in Avengers movies only after IM3. As long as the Big Four remain the main focus, I essentially have no problem with whatever direction they take for TA movies  :) I just want an Avengers trilogy with no major casting changes involve. My interest after that will remain to be seen base on their future choices/decisions.

Iron Man has 50 years of comics, so there are definitely stories worth telling, but maybe not every 2-3 years. Feige said he want to "James Bond" the character, so another Iron Man down the line? Right now, I actually prefer other characters getting a chance at their own films.

That's why I think eventually people will get tired of so many comic book films.

That might happen but Marvel only makes comic properties so they'll continue to make them. 

People could get tired of a particular character, but the genre has depth. What if there was a really good Dr. Strange or Iron Fist movie? People would still see them.

People could get tired of a particular character, but the genre has depth.What if there was a really good Dr. Strange or Iron Fist movie? People would still see them.

Exactly, at this point cbms' are a genre so we'll see them being produced for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by druv10

I'm not saying this year or next year but eventually it will happen. They won't go away completely but there won't be as many as there are now.

IMO, if a movie is good, it doesn't matter what genre it is, people will see and love it.

You see horror/slasher movies more often than not get trashed by critics, but it is a genre that has faithful fans who will love and see it if they deem that the movie is good. Comic book movies are the same, it has an established built in fanbase that will not just up and disappear.

Much like every other film genres out there, there is/will be periods of ups and downs, but like those, it's here to stay. 

I don't know about overseas, but in US, superheroes is a big part of American pop culture, so as long as the movies are good, I don't see why people would get tired of them. The kids here spend their childhood enjoying superheroes fantasies, dressing up on Halloween, playing with comic-based toys figures and video games, watching superheroes cartoons, reading comics, etc.... So unless all those things suddenly stop, every generations grow up will have fans who watch and love their superhero movies.

• Like 2

IMO, if a movie is good, it doesn't matter what genre it is, people will see and love it.You see horror/slasher movies more often than not get trashed by critics, but it is a genre that has faithful fans who will love and see it if they deem that the movie is good. Comic book movies are the same, it has an established built in fanbase that will not just up and disappear.Much like every other film genres out there, there is/will be periods of ups and downs, but like those, it's here to stay. I don't know about overseas, but in US, superheroes is a big part of American pop culture, so as long as the movies are good, I don't see why people would get tired of them. The kids here spend their childhood enjoying superheroes fantasies, dressing up on Halloween, playing with comic-based toys figures and video games, watching superheroes cartoons, reading comics, etc.... So unless all those things suddenly stop, every generations grow up will have fans who watch and love their superhero movies.

Scott pilgrim,perks of being a wallflower,cloud atlas,dredd to play devils advocate. Great films lousy box office.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily say people will get sick of them, but I do think after TA the saturation will go down. I see it how I see YA movies now. Mortal Instruments will be the next bomb. Like someone said, Marvel makes superhero movies, so they always will, but saturation of the markets will go down.

Things can reign at the top for only so long. Rock used to be the #1 genre in the 70's, then R&B in the 90's, now Pop is king. Sitcoms were #1 on tv, then reality, now "realistic dramas" like NCIS and Walking Dead rule. CB movies havent always been at the top, but they are now. We're at a time where we know what will finish #1. If THG didnt break out, IM would be everyones clear choice for #1, that wasnt the case 10 years ago, but by the 2020's I think CB will have reached their peak and a new genre will emerge. At some point, all they'll be doing is retreading everything. Spiderman reboots, "James Bonding Iron Man", Hulk/Blade reboots, X-Men 8, TA6, the lack of originality will soon catch up with grosses. Yes, there is a huge library, but its not being utlized to its fullest, but I can't predict the future, so we'll see what actually happens.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

Scott pilgrim,perks of being a wallflower,cloud atlas,dredd to play devils advocate. Great films lousy box office.

Wait, I don't get this. I didn't mention anything about box office, did I? :unsure:

And those movies, there are people who see and love it much like you did, that's why even when box office are lousy, you still see lesser known comic properties continue to get adapted, because there are audience for it. And that's my point, the comic book movies genre has fans, so despite having its ups and downs, it is here to stay.

I wouldn't necessarily say people will get sick of them, but I do think after TA the saturation will go down. I see it how I see YA movies now. Mortal Instruments will be the next bomb. Like someone said, Marvel makes superhero movies, so they always will, but saturation of the markets will go down.Things can reign at the top for only so long. Rock used to be the #1 genre in the 70's, then R&B in the 90's, now Pop is king. Sitcoms were #1 on tv, then reality, now "realistic dramas" like NCIS and Walking Dead rule. CB movies havent always been at the top, but they are now. We're at a time where we know what will finish #1. If THG didnt break out, IM would be everyones clear choice for #1, that wasnt the case 10 years ago, but by the 2020's I think CB will have reached their peak and a new genre will emerge. At some point, all they'll be doing is retreading everything. Spiderman reboots, "James Bonding Iron Man", Hulk/Blade reboots, X-Men 8, TA6, the lack of originality will soon catch up with grosses. Yes, there is a huge library, but its not being utlized to its fullest, but I can't predict the future, so we'll see what actually happens.

Yep this is what I was trying to say
  • Like 1

Yes, but there are always good films that fail to connect with an audience, just as there have always been bad films that do boffo box office. With all of those you cited there are several reasons that could explain their failure to launch: bad marketing, bad timing, being too "niche" or violent to ever have hope to attract a mainstream audience, etc. 

I wouldn't necessarily say people will get sick of them, but I do think after TA the saturation will go down. I see it how I see YA movies now. Mortal Instruments will be the next bomb. Like someone said, Marvel makes superhero movies, so they always will, but saturation of the markets will go down.

Things can reign at the top for only so long. Rock used to be the #1 genre in the 70's, then R&B in the 90's, now Pop is king. Sitcoms were #1 on tv, then reality, now "realistic dramas" like NCIS and Walking Dead rule. CB movies havent always been at the top, but they are now. We're at a time where we know what will finish #1. If THG didnt break out, IM would be everyones clear choice for #1, that wasnt the case 10 years ago, but by the 2020's I think CB will have reached their peak and a new genre will emerge. At some point, all they'll be doing is retreading everything. Spiderman reboots, "James Bonding Iron Man", Hulk/Blade reboots, X-Men 8, TA6, the lack of originality will soon catch up with grosses. Yes, there is a huge library, but its not being utlized to its fullest, but I can't predict the future, so we'll see what actually happens.

I don't think you mean Comic book movies because there have always been movies that were based on comics (ex. MIB, TMNT, etc.). I think what you're really talking about is superhero movies. Therefore, that's what my post will focus on. I agree that eventually Disney/Marvel and WB/DC will have put their most famous superheroes on the big screen. And eventually we will see enough sequels that those superheroes on the big screen won't seem like such a novelty. However, there are many more characters just waiting to make their way onto the big screen. I don't think superhero movies will run out of steam by the 2020's.

Just looking at Disney/Marvel, they have a whole group of street level superheroes that they haven't even touched yet. That alone could lead to many original movies if done right. Plus, Disney/Marvel is exposing kids to some of those superheroes through their Ultimate Spider-Man animated series. The library of characters to make superhero films with will not run out so quickly.

Then, you have the fact that these characters are iconic. They have survived on the pages of comic books and in cartoons for over 50 years. Now that more and more have finally found their way to film, they aren't going to leave that medium so fast. Think about how James Bond has been around for so long and they are still making movies about him. Think about Star Trek and how it has gained popularity as more and more movies have been made. Superheroes already have that level of popularity and because of that they will not be going away in the foreseeable future.

Superhero movies will not always be number 1 at the box office every year, but they should be big box office grossers for  a long time to come.

As for whether there will be as many of them, I think that there will be about as many as there are right now. Spider-Man and Ghost Rider are at Sony, X-men and the Fantastic Four are at Fox. The rest of the famous superheroes are either with WB or Disney. Marvel is controlling its output and WB/DC isn't really creating that many superhero movies per year. So you're looking at 1 superhero movie from Fox each year (if they want), 1 from Sony every few years, 2 from Disney/Marvel, and whatever WB wants to release a year (at this point it has been 1 per year). I expect that trend to continue for now.

• Like 3

Is Thor 3, Cap 3, Guardians 2, Blade, and IM4 even confirmed? And really what is the point of Iron Man 4. He'll be spending alot of time in space with Avengers against Thanos and maybe others and he'll face Mandarin and Killian and co. in IM3 so really when you think about it whats the point? He'll just come back to Earth and fight someone (who will likely be less powerful than Thanos).

Huh? There is nothing beyond 2016 (only 2) in movies is its all speculation. You think those movies won't go forward its just P3 that will happen post P2. Has been said before why the solo movies are needed.

50 years of comics begs to differ.

I'm not saying this year or next year but eventually it will happen. They won't go away completely but there won't be as many as there are now.

As seen with BH6 if need be there is animation. With 6000 characters at Marvel's disposal don't see them running out of ideas anytime soon. You have the sequels plus new properties (GOTG), and solo spinoff movies. Should be getting 3 a year post 2016 and no signs of slowing down.

I don't think you mean Comic book movies because there have always been movies that were based on comics (ex. MIB, TMNT, etc.). I think what you're really talking about is superhero movies. Therefore, that's what my post will focus on. I agree that eventually Disney/Marvel and WB/DC will have put their most famous superheroes on the big screen. And eventually we will see enough sequels that those superheroes on the big screen won't seem like such a novelty. However, there are many more characters just waiting to make their way onto the big screen. I don't think superhero movies will run out of steam by the 2020's.

Weren't you the Marvel lover that said that SPIDER MAN wasn't true to comic roots and wouldn't stop being bias even though I presented loads of stats? I'm not debating with you. You can't see into the future either so we'll see how the new decade plays out when it gets here.

Edited by jandrew

50 years of comics begs to differ.

It wasn't 50 years of saturation either. If you put Iron Man in 3 solo movies between 3 Avengers movies and with cameos, the audience WILL get fatigued. With any character. People got tired of Shrek, Pirates, Spider Man 4 would have dropped even harder, PA is getting tired, after saw 5 people got tired. Even Alvin got tired first. It happens with any genre. IMO making Thor 3's and Cap 3's is pointless. I know money is involved, but in terms of creativity its too much. And RDJ IS IM. I don't care what Feige says, you can't "James Bond" it.

Mandarin is IM's "greatest villian" and people call Thanos "the strongest and wisest villian", then who would he face in IM4? Why would he fight by himself AGAIN, if Hulk or somebody joins him - why is called IM4!? All this PTSD he's suffering, why would he do it all AGAIN? I hope Feige does a good job of explaining why he'd help Avengers again after he almost died multiple times. The Phase 1 movies were bridges for TA. I see the point in Thor 2 since Loki was TA villain and the space setting, plus Thor was pretty good, and Cap 2 since we have to explore him in present time, but Phase 2 should mainly be introducing new characters. Phase 3 doesnt need to be IM4, Cap 3, Thor 3, Ant Man 2, blah blah.  And I know those are speculation. I was speculating along with the speculated dates. And it's not just Marvel - if they do 3 a year like you said, once DC gets JL revved up, the market will saturate further. And I havent seen where it says they're needed, other than more money for Disney.

Edited by jandrew

Weren't you the Marvel lover that said that SPIDER MAN wasn't true to comic roots and wouldn't stop being bias even though I presented loads of stats? I'm not debating with you. You can't see into the future either so we'll see how the new decade plays out when it gets here.

It's not bias when I think that your stats don't prove anything. But, we left on good terms (or so I thought) and I am not looking to rehash an old argument. However, we were not talking about Spider-Man. We were talking about TASM. They are two entirely different movies.

If I knew that my responding to your posts bothered you so much, then I wouldn't have wasted the effort. You don't have to debate with me and I am certainly not trying to troll you. I will place you on my ignore list  so that I don't respond to any more of your posts.

Edited by Walt Disney

People are really geting tired of James Bond

They don't want to see Bond films anymore.

He is something of the past.

• Like 2