That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are you actually trying to argue those movies didn't reach their maximum potential?

Most certainly... 

Those films did well but I could imagine in the past they would have made a lot more after release..

I think the obsession over box office gross should not be the focus...

Piracy really has diminished the aftermarket for films.

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Most certainly... 

Those films did well but I could imagine in the past they would have made a lot more after release..

I think the obsession over box office gross is not the focus...

Piracy really has diminished the aftermarket for films.

Interstellar is the only movie where you could say piracy caused it to not reach its full potential (and even then that's stretching it). Get out.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Interstellar is the only movie where you could say piracy caused it to not reach its full potential (and even then that's stretching it). Get out.

????

I think you forget movies make money outside of theaters...

Piracy has really effected that market. ;)

There is no still no connection between piracy and loss of box office, or even post-theatre gross. Study after study has show that the more someone pirates, the more they spend. Piracy is often more about format or viewing restrictions than cost.

The movie industry still doesn't understand that their delivery systems are terrible, and that DRM causes piracy, rather than reducing it. Why does it? Because it doesn't work at all to stop it, all it does it annoy paying customers.

17 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

There is no still no connection between piracy and loss of box office, or even post-theatre gross. Study after study has show that the more someone pirates, the more they spend. Piracy is often more about format or viewing restrictions than cost.

The movie industry still doesn't understand that their delivery systems are terrible, and that DRM causes piracy, rather than reducing it. Why does it? Because it doesn't work at all to stop it, all it does it annoy paying customers.

Don't buy it.  Please link to some of those studies.  Every one I've seen claims that growth in revenue ( from all sources ) means that piracy  is not hurting sales.  Ridiculous claim.  With the cheaper and easier delivery methods revenue should be booming and not showing a weak 5%  growth over 10 years.

Also... these 'studies' are only looking at gross revenue.  One of the reasons Blu-Ray disks still cost so much is that honest people like me are playing for the pirates.  Just like shoplifting rises the prices off goods bought at stores piracy rises the price of viewing movies legally.

Studies done using industry internal data do show that piracy does effect box office.  Since those studies don't release the internal data they tend to be discarded by those that want to claim that piracy does not effect revenue.

• Like 1

They dont look at gross at all, they look at what demographics spend. Sure there might be less gross, because people are over all spending less, but PIRATES are not one of the groups who do. This points more to the fact that casual movie watchers are being put off in some way, either due to cost, quality, or convenience. Blu-ray and DVD sucks at times, ads, endless menus, high cost, firmware updates.. Many now only use streaming services, which give far less revenue back per movie than physical disc.

The movie industry will always be against piracy, because if it wasnt it would open the floodgates, and that might hurt revenue, it would also likely hurt licensing deals with entertainment providers, like Netflix, cable etc.

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

They dont look at gross at all, they look at what demographics spend. Sure there might be less gross, because people are over all spending less, but PIRATES are not one of the groups who do. This points more to the fact that casual movie watchers are being put off in some way, either due to cost, quality, or convenience. Blu-ray and DVD sucks at times, ads, endless menus, high cost, firmware updates.. Many now only use streaming services, which give far less revenue back per movie than physical disc.

The movie industry will always be against piracy, because if it wasnt it would open the floodgates, and that might hurt revenue, it would also likely hurt licensing deals with entertainment providers, like Netflix, cable etc.

So no links?

Well, I live in a 3rd world country and there's only 1 theater in my city. (Which means only blockbusters are released here) 

My college screens some Oscar movies (Son Of Saul, The Danish Girl, Ex-Machina), Indies (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Irrational Man) or foreign (Rams, Embrace of the Serpent) but these are really rare. 

We're also under a dictatorship that doesn't allow you to import things (food, medicine, etc so obviously no DVD/BR) and we don't even have access to $$ (hence why Netflix and similar services are not available here) 

So yeah, I pirate movies I can't legally watch. I've gone a lot to the theater this year (+30, even though it's very expensive) but there are movies that don't get a release like Sausage Party, The BFG, Hell or High Water, etc. Or that get released for a mere week like Pete's Dragon (most are tbh, even Civil War and FB) and I can't go because work/college/lack of money. 

So yeah, maybe too much information but some people here act like everything is black or white

• Like 11

That crystal clear DVDSCR that got leaked at the end of AVATAR's first week sure effected its box office!.

In all seriousness, i know a LOT of people who pirate stuff and what people need to understand is that the vast majority of people who pirate games and movies etc, they pirate stuff they have no intention of paying for anyway. If piracy dissapeared overnight, box office grosses wouldn't suddenly shoot up lol.

Its all a myth by Hollywood so they can charge high ticket prices. It always has been.

The irony of piracy is that many pirates have actually paid to see a movie after watching a screener or a cam copy of a film they weren't that bothered in watching really but ended up loving the film.

Same with games.

Don't believe everything you're told.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Its all a myth by Hollywood so they can charge high ticket prices. It always has been.

I'm sorry, this is total BS. Piracy affects the entire industry in a variety of ways. I already listed two projects I was involved with that were directly affected, and I'm hardly someone who's got this vast range of experience. If people have no intention of paying for the product, why even bother to watch? Those people are supporting a multi-billion dollar scam and for no other reason than "ehhhh". I can at least understand the motivation from people who live in foreign countries or dictatorships where an official release is impossible.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

If people have interest in something they will pay, if they dont, they wont. Piracy might affect that a bit, but ultimately its still true.

If you can get something for free why would you pay for it? Even if you have the interest.

Studios should force lawmakers to make downloading movies punishable. I think it's working in some countries. Pirates won't disappear if you tell them they're morally wrong.

• Like 1

Piracy is mixed. Films like The Dark Knight Rises, and Project X were the most legally downloaded in 2012, those films wouldn't have done much more at the box office  if more people legally downloaded them. Same goes for Man Of Steel, TF4, Iron Man 3, among many others. Places like Putlocker only give you a certain limit anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm sorry, this is total BS. Piracy affects the entire industry in a variety of ways. I already listed two projects I was involved with that were directly affected, and I'm hardly someone who's got this vast range of experience. If people have no intention of paying for the product, why even bother to watch? Those people are supporting a multi-billion dollar scam and for no other reason than "ehhhh". I can at least understand the motivation from people who live in foreign countries or dictatorships where an official release is impossible.

Sorry Tele but its not bullshit at all. You may of had a couple of bad things happen, i know nothing about that but do some research and you will see its FACT that the vast majority of pirates have no intention of paying for stuff in the first place, thats why they are pirates.

Piracy can actually have a reverse effect like i said in my other post. It happens a lot and has happened to me many times (example last year with The Revenant, downloaded the screener, paid to see the film after being blown away).

You can't just look at it like '1 pirate film download = 1 lost ticket sale', it doesn't work like that, no matter how much Hollywood would like people to believe thats how it works.

• Like 1