That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

The landscape of entertainment consumption between 2002 and 2012 changed so much, I'd bet you can't really conclude anything from that data.

People nowadays just have exponentially more ways to be entertained than just renting a movie, or watching it on TV. We are being, as consumers, bombarded with content competing for our attention, so much that pretty much everyone I know now has a queue of TV shows they want to watch, movies they wanna catch up with, but they simply don't have the time to go through them, as their attention is also being taken by following the lives of their friends and families on facebook, watching new videos uploaded by their favorite channels on YouTube, or going through funny content on websites like reddit and stuff (and that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head)

In 2002, I doubt this was the case for anyone. Movies and TV shows didn't have as much competition as they do now, and although piracy must have had an impact, the landscape changed too much to directly compare the industry between the 2 decades.

although piracy must have had an impact, the landscape changed too much to directly compare the industry between the 2 decades.

That why that study it is a good idea to compare movie from the same year that had a pre-release nice quality leak online versus the rest, they are in the same landscape to take everything into account. 2002 had piracy too anyway, so it would not be a comparison to a market without piracy either.

• Like 1

people with nothing or people who have come from nothing pay for the movies.

movies are usually made by people who have a lot including their jobs with the movies they make

so movies should be free and pirated.  fuck em'

mother! and The Post were spellbinding when they came out last year, but now they are likely just another superficial project with no social change that the films likely set out to originally do.... just like all the other movies.  

Edited by gravestonedt

6 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

people with nothing or people who have come from nothing pay for the movies.

movies are usually made by people who have a lot including their jobs with the movies they make

so movies should be free and pirated.  fuck em'

mother! and The Post were spellbinding when they came out last year, but now they are likely just another superficial project with no social change that the films likely set out to originally do.... just like all the other movies.  

Oooh, we are so impressed with how dark and edgy you are....

And studios, being a business, makes movies in order to make a profit? Shocking, I tell you, shocking....

Edited by dudalb

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And studios, being a business, makes movies in order to make a profit? Shocking, I tell you, shocking....

lol, well I think it should be the studios fault for making movies when the internet exists.  the internet to movies is like... and once a movie hits the web...

they get free advertising with piracy, so I don't know if like printing out 100,000 blu rays of Fantastic Beasts 2 and giving them out would really be that bad?

it would certainly block retail sales on the smaller films.

there is no other business like the movie business though and the potential of it seems so contained and unused.

11 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

they get free advertising with piracy, so I don't know if like printing out 100,000 blu rays of Fantastic Beasts 2 and giving them out would really be that bad?

it would certainly block retail sales on the smaller films.

Do you think you can sell ads for a better price than the price of printing, shipping a blurays (after the sellers cut), without even talking about starting to pay for the movie itself ?

A big superbowls can generate 75 million in ADS sales for NBC, that is less than 75 cent by people watching for like an pure hours of the best  possible commercial time.

Imagine subtle commercial one that do not bring everything it bring to be during the Superbowl, how much you could get by people watching ? 

If it cost around $2 by dual layer bluray + cost of making the master + making the menus/extra + shipping them.... Not considering commercials to be sold need a good way to metric their effect or at least the eye balls, something you cannot do much if at all with piracy.

Lot of smaller films are from the WB libraries.

Edited by Barnack

41 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do you think you can sell ads for a better price than the price of printing, shipping a blurays (after the sellers cut), without even talking about starting to pay for the movie itself ?

I think movie consumers have to start with subscribing to the product.  if they own a Blu-ray and love it, they might pay a lot of $$.  

they have to want to see the movie though, which would be selling the ad IMO. 

a movie is like a virtual book, and paper books are a financial nuisance on the retail market.

blu-rays are so sweet looking, but they are overpriced and I don't think the retails are the treasure hunt they once were.  

they are sparkly enough for people to want to pull out cash, and there is room to sell them.

but ultimately movies are handcrafted and the makers probably want that movie in everyone's house. to achieve awareness of that movie

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, gravestonedt said:

they usually make movies for profit.

the prices are high, maybe they steal our money?

Film Piracy would break that.  KARMA?

if they concentrated on breaking fake Illumination and DC....

& I don't think the visual effects artists get % of profits, so the rest of the shitheads should be safe with their useless task of making movies.

I don't get your point

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, gravestonedt said:

& I don't think the visual effects artists get % of profits, so the rest of the shitheads should be safe with their useless task of making movies.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, DAJK said:

I don't get your point

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, gravestonedt said:

- I assume common peasant notion of profitable film is oil flying out of a tall structure, Robin Hood is always a natural tendency in the minds of individuals who see giant free festivals.

- movie franchises get cancelled based on negative profit potentials.  if consumers are lost with their product being from love or business, they might become disenfranchised from the laws that secure their present existence

- the prices always increase, usually it is like $50 for 4 people, unless one is directly seeking price breaks

- sneaking into theaters + sporting events.  unethical punishments for people who distribute bootleg material.

movies tease with trailers/awareness and become intelligence withheld for a price. 

-leaking movies that already have bought the time of 10 million + people who go to malls and eat next to the  advertisements.  these franchises are like vacuum cleaners and their films are having a giant sale trying to get every customer they possibly can when customers extra busy being chaotic and spending more then they have to already in shopping spree.  

-if these major properties get annoyed enough from it, maybe they will stop making awful movies.

-going to see an Illumination film is like going to eat out at a restaurant.  

- movies are another form of published art and one day it will dissolve.

NOV15-1027-COLUMN-CODEWATCH.jpg

the original thing I am pointing at is film piracy has created an ongoing battle to where movies online almost seem like a free market.  

I think whatever anyone thinks, says, or does with film piracy is at like free game because those laws would be too movable and changeable.  

starving people can take off after the movies, cable is almost free, but living is not.  also, life can suck.