That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Firstly I think we are being dated here..

Renting movies ??

Dvd and even Bluerays?

People have mostly going digital with movies these days... 

Last I looked into it digital is still a minority, even in the US.

We will get the 2016 numbers earliest in January 2017, 2016 might be the first year, where disc sales drops to #2.

Rental is/was discs 3 parts vs digital 2 parts of the whole, new numbers maybe in January too = rentals drop slower than the buys of discs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Last I looked into it digital is still a minority, even in the US.

We will get the 2016 numbers earliest in January 2017, 2016 might be the first year, where disc sales drops to #2.

Rental is/was discs 3 parts vs digital 2 parts of the whole, new numbers maybe in January too = rentals drop slower than the buys of discs.

The reason why digital is so small is because can easily pirate it 

Sadly it's not so simple as immoral. Especially when it's international. 

Ill use an example. Agent Carter S1 played in the US sometime back(like 2 yrs+). It only played on tv in Australia in in the past 6 months. We haven't even seen S2 as yet. Is it wrong I pirated said tv show back in 2015? Blue ray / digital came out in the past month or so. 

Now i I know this was started on movies and I agree in theory with comments here. Very simply it's not black and white. If the studios have the right model it works. And I pay for it e.g. Netflix or at least our watered down version of it. 

Another er example is GOT. HBO are prob the worst (hence why it continues to be the most pirated show in Australia) - only plays on Foxtel (our expensive version of cable). Takes a year before anything digital or disc comes out.  

• Like 3

This discussion can also be applied to Video Games, and the answer was that there is demand for no-bullshit DRM policies, and if you aren't cutting options for people, they will pay.

gog.com is impressively popular nowadays, and how it works is, you pay for a game, and then you download it. End of story.

What you do with this game is up to you. You can give it to lots of people, there is no DRM at all on it. So why is gog popular, and working, if only 1 person could download the game and then instantly share it with EVERYONE?

It's because customers like being taken seriously. No matter how you see it, this DRM paranoia crap introduced by companies like Ubisoft is hurting the trust between customers and clients. You launch Assassin's Creed on Steam and it goes through 3 different launchers (Steam --> Uplay --> Assassin's Creed) just to make sure you are running a legitimate copy of the game. How does that make me feel as a customer? 

Like shit. If the company doesn't trust me, neither should I trust them.

When I buy a game off gog.com, I download and install it. I can give it to anyone, but the reason why it's so popular with gamers is that no-bullshit, no-paranoia mentality. And is also the reason why their games are selling well on this platform. Yes I gave a copy or 2 of games I purchased on gog.com, but my friends wouldn't have purchased them anyway so it doesn't hurt the publishers, and that isn't at all different from when I was lending video game cartridges to my friends when I was younger (and never got them back :sadno:). Hell, I was given a copy of Witcher 3, which I had no interest into and no intention of ever paying for, and now I am eagerly waiting for the next game from that company (CD Projekt), and will buy it when it comes out.

Their mentality and business model is based on what made video games so popular in the early 90's -- lending them to a friend, who would try it, then he would lend it to a friend, etc etc That's how Blizzard Entertainment became so popular, people tried their games and loved them so more people bought them in the end, and it became a juggernaut.

Game of Thrones is so popular today because of piracy, even the producers and higher-ups at HBO said it publicly.

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo told Entertainment Weekly piracy wasn't hurting revenue. “I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but it is a compliment of sorts,” he said. “The demand is there. And it certainly didn’t negatively impact the DVD sales. [Piracy is] something that comes along with having a wildly successful show on a subscription network.”

The lesson to learn from this is that you can either raise your fists in the air, yell at everyone, complain that you lost millions, or accept that it's easy and free marketing and that it will happen anyway because...

Word of mouth & ease of access > Paranoia on getting paid by every single person who tries your product.

----

The same applies to movies. Give customers a no-bullshit option and they will purchase it. However, right now blu-ray prices are off the fucking charts, movies are split online between 5 different streaming services, we're getting ripped off with the 3D boost-in price at the theater we never asked for... why do you think so many people pay for Netflix? 

And it's infinitely more convenient to watch a pirated movie than a legit one, which is another HUGE problem.

I buy a movie, then I put it in the damn player, next thing you know there are legal warnings, more legal warnings, previews I can't skip, a menu, then the movie starts. This whole process can take a few minutes in the worst of cases. A pirated movie, (or a movie on Netflix/any streaming service) you press "Enter" and it starts. That's convenience, and that's what the movie industry should strive for.

That's what customers want. 

• Like 3

Never illegally downloaded a movie, nor have I ever even watched a movie on my laptop. Thats fucking shitty. 

I have HboGo, Netlfix, and Amazon, plus my Blu-rays/Dvds. If not available there I have an actually rental place still by my house.

I get pissed, even all the film people I know do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

So, I did some research, and the most pirated film released in 2015 was Furious 7 (not counting Interstellar as #1 since that was a 2014 release) at 44,700,000 downloads.  The average ticket price in 2015 was $8.43.  So Furious 7 lost roughly $376,821,000 due to piracy (my math might be off but idk).  Please tell me more about how piracy isn't a problem?  Granted, Furious 7 did make a lot of money, but let that sink in for a second...376M lost due to piracy.

Mad Max: Fury Road was downloaded 36.4M times.  That's 306M lost due to piracy.  I don't have exact numbers yet, but Deadpool is apparently the most pirated movie of 2016. 

Because you can't prove that those same people would have spent the 8.50 at the theater if they hadn't of pirated it.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

So, I did some research, and the most pirated film released in 2015 was Furious 7 (not counting Interstellar as #1 since that was a 2014 release) at 44,700,000 downloads.  The average ticket price in 2015 was $8.43.  So Furious 7 lost roughly $376,821,000 due to piracy (my math might be off but idk).  Please tell me more about how piracy isn't a problem?  Granted, Furious 7 did make a lot of money, but let that sink in for a second...376M lost due to piracy.

Mad Max: Fury Road was downloaded 36.4M times.  That's 306M lost due to piracy.  I don't have exact numbers yet, but Deadpool is apparently the most pirated movie of 2016. 

You're making the assumption that everyone who pirated the movie would've paid to see it in a theater otherwise. They could very well have just decided to not see it at all and wait till it's on TV or a friend lets them watch it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You're making the assumption that everyone who pirated the movie would've paid to see it in a theater otherwise. They could very well have just decided to not see it at all and wait till it's on TV or a friend lets them watch it.

Case and point: Lordmandeep. I don't think any of us are under the false pretense he would have seen BvS or SS in theaters if he hadn't pirated them.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

That's why I said "roughly."  If all these same people had not gone out and seen the movie anyway, then the count would be lower.  But since there's no way to prove it, we have to get a rough estimate.  Even if it's only half of that sum, that's still 188M lost for Furious 7 and 153M lost for Mad Max (roughly its entire domestic gross).

Well, also forgetting that more than just the US would have downloaded the movie, so the 8.50 ticket price number would not be a valid metric to use. Even then, how many of those people pirated the movie long after it's release in theaters, or left their home towns and they wished to see it before it was released on DVD?

You don't know when they were downloaded, and it's impossible to tell the circumstances or reasons, so trying to make any kind of call on how much a movie lost because of it is a kin Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Case and point: Lordmandeep. I don't think any of us are under the false pretense he would have seen BvS or SS in theaters if he hadn't pirated them.

Thats the same assumption though. He took the effort to pirate it. Meaning if he had HBO go, he would have just watched it on there, or netflix or amazon. But he doesn't. So you can argue both ways. 

Not to mention, its because it EXISTS. If you couldn't pirate, like it was Legit IMPOSSIBLE. would Lord have paid to see it? Knowing he couldn't pirate it ever?