That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

For the last part, it's called tension building.  Try to learn about that some time :).

There was no fucking tension in Godzilla. It was annoying teasing. In order to have tension you need characters that can help build that tension while the main attraction is off screen. We didn't get those strong characters in Godzilla. What a boring film.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Ask artists that are trying get off the ground what they think about the new music industry. Very little money actually makes its way into their pockets.

Very little money makes its way into music services too. Spotify's been bleeding hundreds of millions for years.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

If you'd like to see Aaron Taylor Johnson stink up the movie on a giant screen then I guess it would be fantastic.

The visuals are incredible and the sound design is absolutely fantastic, though. I'd like to experience that with the best possible presentation. 

• Community Manager

I don't think it affects the box office in a way most people think. I don't think you can say point to the Avengers and say that if it wasn't for piracy, it would have made $650 million. Maybe SOME of the people who pirated the movie would have paid to see it, maybe not. But I do think piracy contributes to the larger than necessary inflation of ticket prices that leads to big box office increases despite movie attendance going down. So I think piracy actually makes the act of going to see a movie more expensive.

• Like 8

For me, pirating makes no difference to how i spend my money on movies.  I'll see movies i want to see in theaters regardless of whether there's a copy online.  As for the rest, i would never pay for them via theater or dvd or digital download, even if online copies were unavailable, so the movie industry isn't losing a single cent from me.   

1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Quoted for truth. Everyone loves CBMs, but if the studios choose to punt on big budgets, adios everyone's favorite movies (they'll probably still get made, but with a fraction of the action & VFX they have now).

I think it's important to realize no one has to act maliciously here. My show wasn't renewed because the numbers didn't make sense for Disney. Now, there are multiple reasons for that, but one of them is that fans would immediately put full episodes up on YouTube (pitch-shifting audio or cropping the image to get around YT restrictions). They didn't do this out of hatred -- they did it because they liked the show. But the outcome was fewer viewers on platforms that Disney cared about (namely, their own app and channel). 

You had a show on Disney?! :blink:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Tele now needs to shift Disney XD shows to Star Wars Rebels. He'll become @Porthos's favorite person ever and Porthos will use Tele to try and get his favorite Clone Wars character put into the show.

Maybe he can get us Kyle Katarn on the show? ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Maybe he can get us Kyle Katarn on the show? ?

The January 7th episode is going to have Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera, so if they can splurge for him they can throw a bone to the rest of us (and also include my avatar as well).

• Like 2