That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

I have had my best year with going to the theater almost 100 times and watching less than 10 movies (for free).  It has been along time since the ratio was greater than 10 to 1.  I noticed in the Thursday numbers thread earlier today how members were remarking about how Cinema is dead and how legit movies are platform releases.  Well, the Golden Globes are next week and I would love to be caught up with all of the movies to make the awards show funner.   So how the hell am I going to get to all these movies without using piracy?   And what is sad is that these are the movies that count on box office revenue more than franchise pictures that are just pretty much an investment with a 200M budget. 

And people wonder why the middle budgeted movies are dead? Studios can't make money off them anymore due to pitacy. It's either make huge budget movies or indie art cheap films.

But I always do get excited when a very low budget movie like "Don't Breathe" does amazing numbers.

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

And people wonder why the middle budgeted movies are dead? Studios can't make money off them anymore due to pitacy. It's either make huge budget movies or indie art cheap films.

But I always do get excited when a very low budget movie like "Don't Breathe" does amazing numbers.

People bother pirating mid-budget movies? I'm surprised by that. It isn't like those films were ever going to draw a mass audience, however, and doubtful that the people who pirated them were ever going to see them in theaters. 

The major studios can cut into piracy by providing easy-to-access, cost-effective streaming options to the audience. They have actively avoided doing so for over a decade instead of completely embracing the online marketplace. As a result, there aren't as many options to rent or buy the studios' massive back catalogs as there should be, which in turn drives people who want to see those films to pirate sites. Ideally, we should be able to access almost any movie we want through a variety of legal platforms. It's the lack of legal access that is the problem and the studios are leaving billions of dollars on the table by failing to provide it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Do you think tele looks like Peter Cushing?

I imagine every person here looking like their avatars. That's good if they choose someone attractive (or cute and furry), not so much if the image is hideous. For instance, someone here had this guy as their avatar pic and I still imagine them looking like this:

green-lantern-hammond_1308358020.jpg

...eeewww that's never going away. :wacko:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Talkie said:

I imagine every person here looking like their avatars. That's good if they choose someone attractive (or cute and furry), not so much if the image is hideous. For instance, someone here had this guy as their avatar pic and I still imagine them looking like this:

green-lantern-hammond_1308358020.jpg

...eeewww that's never going away. :wacko:

@Chewy Such an honor. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fracfar said:

So was the Lab Rats thing a joke or was he really involved in it?

I looked at the creators and I couldn't recognize his face

I wasn't one of the show-runners or writers. I edited it. I think of it as "my" show in terms of being a show I was involved in, not literally mine. Sorry for the confusion. :) 

edit: it ran for 4 seasons + 1 spinoff season, which is definitely a good run for Disney. Still cancelled before its time. :( 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I wasn't one of the show-runners or writers. I edited it. I think of it as "my" show in terms of being a show I was involved in, not literally mine. Sorry for the confusion. :) 

edit: it ran for 4 seasons + 1 spinoff season, which is definitely a good run for Disney. Still cancelled before its time. :( 

So, about Kyle Katarn on Rebels... :lol:

• Like 3

This is all very simple.

People nowadays have access. That's it. Access to high quality,Blu Ray level streams of the media they want to watch.

It was bad enough when Napster allowed everyone to download music,but look at the effect that had on the music industry. If your name wasn't Beyonce or Kanye no one was paying for your actual media,just downloading it for free.

Look at the grosses for movies in 2016. Everything that wasn't an event film or family film lost money against their projected grosses. The top 10 or 12 movies are the ones that made all the blockbuster money

Why is that?

Very simple. Going to the theatre costs money that people DON'T have to spend. Yes,families still like to get out of the house,couples still like to go to the movies on dates and event films are the kind of theatrical experiences that can't be replicated at home,BOSE sound system and 4k tvs be damned. 

You still have to deal with talkers,chair kickers and the back of the mind threat of potential violence.

This is why theatres are upping their game. Cinemas like the Alamo Drafthouse chain have been ahead of the curve. Movie going needs to be an experience to offset piracy. Offer alcohol,food,theme nights ,leather recliners and people will still pay for the experience.

There is a thing now called the Amazon Firestick. The other night I was at a friends place for a Christmas party,and the hostess offered us a movie to watch. She had a Firestick someone rigged for her.

"Hey guys do you want to watch Passengers,Assassin's Creed,Sing or Office Christmas Party?" She said.  Someone yelled out "Oh shit,let's watch Rogue One!" To which the hostess replied," Nah that's a movie that you need to see in theatres."

This isn't going away guys. 2017 is going to be hit even harder. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Edited by GuardianDevil
  • Like 6

In my countries, many people think that if you purchase the movies then it is legal.

In here pirated dvd can be found easily in some mall. They do not hide it. You can purchase dvd for less than one dollar

My supplier from UK once said that everytime he came to Indonesia he will purchase many dvd and bring them home to UK.

Edited by animationlover