FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

18 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It's a milestone alright, but not for a film or a franchise or actor (that someone can relate to) but for a faceless corporation. I definitely get the geek value of the number, but it's the cheering that bewilders me. 

Unless someone owns their stock. Then it's perfectly understandable. 

Why is a film or actor any more or less "relatable" than a corporation?

I root for films I like, actors I like, and yes, corporations I like. In this case, I want Disney to reach $3 billion because, well, it's a milestone and I like to see them reached. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I still get to only 17.054755m

Still confused 

One issue here is that the Friday numbers factored in here are estimates, right? The actuals could be slightly different, and with it coming down so close, even a slight difference could matter in the end.

That's why I originally said "about $17.5m", the "about" reflecting the uncertainty around estimates.

One thing's for sure, it's now 2017, the ballots are all in, so to speak, we just need to get the actuals tallies for Friday and Saturday to know for sure about $3B. We might not have that until Monday.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

Thinking bo could pop a bit today compared to last Sunday as many playoff slots are taken compared to most years. Not the best final week in nfl history at all.

Time for a 3 round 16 team playoff format with no bye weeks instead of a 17 or 18 game regular season. That will bring back ratings. Hugely.

43 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Do you speak about the top 2016 charts at e.g. BOM for dom and ww? Those are released in 2016 charts and as such we wont know for a time.

In those charts you will find the dom / OS / ww parts.

Or do you speak about the Year-to-date charts? Then I guess you mean both SW films or the SW franchise (...is of that) - I try to better my English and also try to ask before assuming maybe wrongly.

I mean for both films in 2016 dom.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I am genuinely bemused at how many people seem to be cheering for Disney to pass $3B. 

I mean, why???

Studios = sports teams

Directors = coaches

Actors = players

Box office competition = ball game

• Like 12

1 hour ago, miketheavenger said:

I disagree with that. I liked Suicide Squad, but you could clearly tell the influence of the reshoots in the film. Also, Fantastic Four 2015 had an incredibly troubled production, and it ended up being a disaster. While I do think that reshoots don't have to be a bad thing (World War Z benefited from it), they can be devastating in some cases.

As to SS, as far as the GA is concerned the reshoots didn't seem to affect it negatively (by I mean GA meaning box office). There is a consensus that the overall bo and the legs were better than exepected. Even after the 133 ow hardly anyone had it crossing 325.

IMO Fant4stick is a unique case where the director disavowed the movie before the release. It's troubled production was an extreme in magnitude.

But I would re-state my point as terrestrial says...

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

What about: no one should react so / too strongly and assume the worst before not having seen the results?

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

You know this reshoots and rewrites and people screwing up things during the shoot probably goes back to the beginning of film. But there was this small film that was made in 1974 and got released in 1975. The actors were drunk on the set all the time. This caused them to screw up their lines and one of them was so drunk during one of his pivotal scenes that he had to come back and do it again the next day. The green director was too nervous to say anything to him. The main prop on the film would not work so the cast and crew sat around hours and hours and hours and sometimes days at a time with nothing to do. Once the film was finally shot something like 60 days over what the original shooting timeline was....then they had to spend months and months at the editors house and then the director decided to shoot a few more scenes after everything had been wrapped and shown to an audience because he didn't feel there was enough jump-scares in the movie.

As I'm sure most of you know this little film is called jaws and it went on to become the highest grossing film of all time and changed cinema.

Reshoots and problems and so on is nothing to get concerned about.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Some of these predictions are so wacky. $10M total for Live by Night?

I meant the move of the release date, see the quote out of the text I gave in my post.

I at least had missed the move if it is old news.

PATERSON: $70k (3-Day Estimate, 4 Locations) / $91k (4-Day Estimate, 4 Locations / $123k (Estimated Total, Tuesday)

20TH CENTURY WOMEN: $112k (3-Day Estimate, 4 Screens) / $146k (4-Day Estimate, 4 Screens) / $213k Total Estimate (Tuesday)

MOONLIGHT: $322k (3-Day Estimate, 137 Screens) / $406k (4-Day Estimate, 137 Screens) / $12.7M Total Estimate

LION: $2.1M (3-Day Estimate, 525 Screens) / $6M Total

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

One of the few predictions on The Numbers January preview that feels on target is the $65M total for Patriots Day, although I'm thinking it makes much more. It's actually doing really well in limited release (its average has been higher than Silence despite having 3 more theaters and nowhere nearly as much awards buzz), so it's in a good position to make bank when it goes wide that 4-day weekend.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I highly doubt the sequel for SS will top 250 million. 

On the contrary I think an SS sequel would top at least $350M. That movie was huge among teens.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

On the contrary I think an SS sequel would top at least $350M. That movie was huge among teens.

Yeah but I doubt older audiences will check it out this time...film was complete garbage to anyone who has more taste for film then cool visuals. 

• Like 5