DAJK

The "Wowza I can't believe we're already here" thread. DAJK's best and worst of 2016!

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

#7 Best Movie of 2016

The Jungle Book

Image result for the jungle book poster

Rotten Tomatoes score: 94%

Domestic Box Office: $364 million

I remember when @Treecraft was saying a while back that this was going to be one of the highest grossing movies of 2016, throwing around $350M+ or even higher predictions. I honestly thought those predictions were crazy, and was anticipating MAYBE 65/200 for this. Well for one, I didn't anticipate what a monster this was going to be at the box office, nor did I predict what a lovely, enthralling, gorgeous, and fun adventure this would turn out to be.

I'm glad someone 'members. :)

#4 Best Movie of 2016

Deadpool

Image result for deadpool love poster

Rotten Tomatoes score: 84%

Domestic Box Office: $363.1 million

I'm typing this right as Gosling beat Reynolds at the Golden Globes. Oh well, I haven't seen La La Land yet, but I'm sure he is fully deserving. As it is, Ryan Reynolds was certainly great as well in this utterly fantastic film. I know I said earlier about Civil War being the only CBM that stood out for me this year... yea I may have forgot that another superhero movie actually occupied my #4 spot :lol: Anyways, Deadpool was straight up the most entertaining, fun movie of the year. The script was ridiculously clever, providing us with some truly awesome, quotable lines, crazy funny scenes, and such a great lead character that I would say has been redeemed and then some from his 2009 film appearance. If anything, this film was able to bring this character to a much broader audience than ever before; it's crazy how many people I've seen at school and around town wearing Deadpool hats and shirts. There's a reason this movie was such a massive smash hit, and that's because there's no other film around as fun and entertaining as 2016's #1 2 hours of escapism. Bravo Deadpool!

• Like 10

#3 Best Movie of 2016

The Edge of Seventeen

Image result for edge of 17 poster

Rotten Tomatoes score: 95%

Domestic Box Office: $14.4 million

A true tragedy at the box office, clearly nobody was excited for this movie. Even I considered it an afterthought to Fantastic Beasts the weekend it came out, when in actuality this film was VASTLY superior to the still-good Harry Potter spin-off. I saw this movie in an empty auditorium (ok there were 2 other girls who sat at the back but they would get up and leave for extended periods of time), and thankfully I was alone because The Edge of Seventeen is one of the most emotionally gripping films I've seen in the past few years. It intelligently handles what being a teenager is like, and even if I, say, haven't dealt with the exact circumstances that Hailee Steinfeld goes through in this movie, I am able to relate to her feelings of betrayal and loneliness, but also friendship, happiness, fun, and family relationships the good and bad. While it unfortunately won't win any Oscars, I'm actually hoping this somehow at least snags a Best Original Screenplay nomination, as this movie is so well-written that every single character feels real. No one seems to exist as a device to move the plot forward; everyone is a real person interacting with a real world. The relationships portrayed in this film are so real that they are heartbreaking at times; friendship is portrayed incredibly realistically here through good and bad times, and the relationship between Nadine and her brother reminded me sometimes of me and my sister (although our roles are sometimes reversed, sometimes not, but I WISH i was as good looking as her brother. Going to parties would be so much easier). The film does slow down at times, but I didn't even notice that these slower scenes were there until days after I watched the movie, because at the time I was just so engaged in the characters. Funny and heartbreaking at the same time, this is a world-class film if you ask me, and one that I think should be seen as a teen movie classic along the likes of John Hughes favourites, Mean Girls etc.

• Like 6

#2 Best Movie of 2016

Hacksaw Ridge

Image result for hacksaw ridge movie poster

Rotten Tomatoes score: 86%

Domestic Box Office: $65.1 million (as of time of writing)

Powerful powerful filmmaking. Say what you want about Gibson but the dude is a world class director who made the best film of the year (I know I know it's my #2 but my #1 is a special case for me). Hacksaw Ridge is everything that a new classic should be; emotionally gripping, heartbreaking, uplifting, full of amazing performances, incredibly shot, beautiful music... I'm getting a little ahead of myself. This film was nothing short of fantastic, and I'm finding myself hard-pressed to think of a flaw. The first act introduces us to not only the highly sympathetic and likable character of Desmond Doss (one of the 20th Century's greatest heros portrayed in one of this year's finest performances), as well as everyone else around him. Whether its his alcoholic father, beautiful and gentle girlfriend, or the "a bit of a bully" he meets, everyone in this movie gives fantastic performances. Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer, Vince Vaughan and Sam Worthington all surprised me, while Hugo Weaving in a perfect would would be up for an Oscar nomination. The action is some of the best ever put to film, in my mind giving Saving Private Ryan a run for its money as the best war scene put to film (granted, that film was 2 decades ago so props to Spielberg). The production design and sound also offered further doors to escaping into the brutal scenes the film created. I honestly felt like bursting into tears multiple times in this movie; whatever crap that goes on in the world, there are some brave people out there who don't do it for fame, who don't do it for glory. But they do they things they do, like how Desmond Doss risked his live over 70 years ago, because he was a good man. I think everybody should see this film if possible, even if it means separating the artist from the art. Gibson did a fantastic job for this movie, and I will go see anything he directs from now on, regardless what I think of the man personally.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Powerful powerful filmmaking. Say what you want about Gibson but the dude is a world class director who made the best film of the year (I know I know it's my #2 but my #1 is a special case for me). Hacksaw Ridge is everything that a new classic should be; emotionally gripping, heartbreaking, uplifting, full of amazing performances, incredibly shot, beautiful music... I'm getting a little ahead of myself. This film was nothing short of fantastic, and I'm finding myself hard-pressed to think of a flaw.

Hear, hear. Agree with pretty much everything you said (including what I trimmed from the quote). This is my #2 for this year, but would have been my #1 film in almost any other year. I only saw it this past weekend (disappeared from most theatres faster than I anticipated, made a special trip to see it in an independent theatre), and there are still moments when scenes from the film replay themselves back in my head. That's pretty rare for me.

Friend I saw it with said it might be the best-ever war film she'd seen. I think so too, although I'd have to give Saving Private Ryan a re-watch. My parents saw this on my recommendation back in November (knew they'd like it even though I hadn't seen it myself yet). They said it was the best movie they'd seen for years, my mom was absolutely raving about it.

• Like 3

#1 Best Movie of 2016

Finding Dory

Image result for finding dory poster

Rotten Tomatoes score: 94%

Domestic Box Office: $486.3 million

Was Finding Dory a good movie? Of course! Was it a great movie? I'd certainly say so! Were there better movies that came out in 2016? I'm not too sure, as I haven't quite seen everything yet. But there's something about Finding Dory that's the reason it's my #1, the reason a lot of 15-20 year olds cried at the end of Toy Story 3. It's the age I am right now, and the stage my life is in right now. Basically, I'm Andy from Toy Story 3, where I'm off to college not too long from now, and I'm starting to have to say goodbye to certain parts of my childhood. Finding Nemo was a film that was a huge part of my childhood; we had it on almost every weekend morning that I can remember, my first day back from kindergarten I remember coming home and watching it. It was the movie we watched with our two friends from Vancouver the night before my family moved away (we're still friends with these guys don't worry :P ). So with this extremely strong connection to childhood, Finding Dory was poised to open up some level of nostalgia for me, as long as it was good. The fact that it ended up bring pure Pixar magic did it for me; this film was something special. To make me feel like I was a kid again, to make me relive all those memories at this point in life that I'm at right now, Finding Dory burrowed its way into my heart. The right movie at the right time, this film had all the jokes, the wit, the charm, and the characters we all came to expect. I would love to see more movies like Finding Dory, but the fact that a film can make me feel this way is so uncommon makes me happy that this was such a special movie-going experience. I was able to see this twice in theatres, once with my sister who also grew up on the film with me, and the other with a big group of friends that, while sitting there with them enjoying the evening, made me think about why childhood is so special, and why it never has to truly end. 

• Like 8

So thank you so much guys for bearing with me until the end. I love everyone's input, so if you have your own thoughts on some of my choices, good or bad, I would love to hear them :) 

I'm so glad to have been a part of these Forums for another year, and look forward to spending 2017 and beyond with you guys! Here's to another year with you all on BOT!!!

• Like 4