Kalo

Kalo's Top 100 first viewings of 2016.

Hello everyone! Well it's that time of year! time for the best of worst of and what not countdowns, well I wanted to do something a little bit different this year, partially becuase I haven't seen nearly all the 2016 releases I've wanted to yet, and becuase I've seen 148 films for the first time in 2016 my most yet, with some really good ones in there, so I thought why not put them in a countdown?

I may still do a top 10-20 films of 2016. but it will probably be in March, considering this isn't an exclusively a top films of 2016 countdown, I'm not sure how the rules work on waiting, I do need to finish a countdown too, but I want to get started on this within in a week while the new year is still fresh. 

Well anyways I hope you guys will find this interesting.

• Like 4

As a person who generally takes 47 weeks to finish a movie countdown, I would say that once an active list becomes a week old or so, I lose any rights to exclusivity on the list writing front. 

Otherwise, the person that follows me in Early March will potentially not be able to start their list until September :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

As a person who generally takes 47 weeks to finish a movie countdown, I would say that once an active list becomes a week old or so, I lose any rights to exclusivity on the list writing front. 

Otherwise, the person that follows me in Early March will potentially not be able to start their list until September :) 

Oh Yeah, I'm not planning on hugging space up. This is just a side countdown that should coincide with the rest of them. I'll be happy if I finish it by the end of February.  

100 The Secret Life of Pets | Directed by Chris Renaud and Yarrow Cheney
Release Year: 2016
Box Office $875,000,000
Oscars noms/wins: N/A

Golden Globe noms/wins: 0

'The Secret Life Of Pets' Movie Review:

I was actually pretty excited about this movie beforehand, being an animal lover and owner of several pets myself, I was charmed by the trailer that was released a year out, the animation looked pretty as well, and I was hoping for a really hilarious film. But I had to remember this was an Illumination film, not Disney, not even DreamWorks, so with that in check, is SLOP a bad movie? No, it’s cute with lots of fluffy critters with some witty scenes, but I just felt like there was a huge missed opportunity here, it was fun, haven’t watched it since the theater and don’t really have the desire too.

• Like 1

#99 Water For Elephants | Directed by Francis Lawrence

Release Year: 2011

Box Office: $117,000,000

Oscars noms/wins: 0

water-for-elephants-movie-photo-02.jpg

Water For Elephants, is not a groundbreaking film by any means, but I rather enjoyed it, the imagery is gorgeous to look at, Robert Pattinson gives a very decent performance here, even if he and Reese Witherspoon don’t have the best chemistry in the world. The score by James Newton Howard is lovely and there is just something magical about the circus setting. Christoph Waltz Is well.. Christoph Waltz, anyways this is not really a great movie, but I would say it is enjoyable,  and worth a watch,

#98 Starman | Directed by John Carpenter 

Release Year: 1984
Box Office $28,700,000
Oscars noms/wins: 1/0

Golden Globe noms/wins: 2/0

Starman-1984-Movie-Free-Download-HD-720p

Starman, is a 1980s Sci-Fi film, that is not very traditional 1980s sci-fi film. It’s tone is mostly somber, there is very little action and it is not very bombastic, but at the heart is a pretty touching drama/romance story, that gives a pretty realistic portrayal of dealing with the loss of a loved one. The visuals are pretty great for it’s time, and It’s probably the best performance I’ve seen from Karen Allen, Bridges is good too of course, although after seeing so many other of his performances, I didn’t really find it awards worthy. I also realized I had not yet seen a John Carpenter film until 2016. 
Anyways overall this was a pretty decent, if a bit slow sci-fi drama. 

*This will not be the final time a film starring Jeff Bridges, or a John Carpenter film appears on my list.

#97 Central Intelligence | Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber
Box Office $217,000,000
Oscars noms/wins: N/A

central-intelligence-movie-poster.jpg

Central Intelligence is a movie I was actually pretty exited about seeing, I am picky when it comes to comedies, and have been really dishearten with the current state of brainless raunchy comedy after brainless raunchy comedy. Not that this movie is smart by any means, but I thought the trailer looked funny and Dwayne Johnson is usually pretty great in comedy rules. So I saw it with my Nephew when I was on vacation this summer, it wasn’t really anything special, but it was funny and we had a good time, I’d recommend if your looking for something not to deep that you can just turn your brain off and enjoy.
*A Dwayne Johnson film will appear again.

• Like 1

#96 The Faculty | Directed by Robert Rodriguez
Release Year: 1998
Box Office $40,300,000
Oscars noms/wins: 0

the-faculty.jpg

The Faculty was sort of a cozy film for me, out of all the movies I’ve watched I’m not sure any reminded me of the early 2000s TV drama “Smallville” a show that I absolutely loved growing up. in fact I’m pretty sure the Show runners watched The Faculty and said “You know what, let’s do a Superman show like this!” complete with the High School setting, parasitize invaders, that get a hold of innocent looking, hot highschool girls, as well as the school staff. And have lots of really early really fake looking CGI. And make it fun and sexy. This movie was just fun to watch, it’s cheesy and pretty dumb, but I had a good time watching it.

On a side note, you also getting to see, Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, Famke Janssen and Jordana Brewster before they were famous.   

• Like 1

#95 The Hateful Eight | Directed by Quentin Tarantino 
Release Year: 2015
Box Office $155,800,000
Oscars noms/wins: 3/1

Golden Globe noms/wins: 3/1

The Hateful Eight by Jason Edmiston:

I like Quentin Tarantino films, but I never can seem to love them as much as most of his fanbase, and The Hateful Eight is probably my least favorite film of his so far, I mean the acting his great, The set direction, costumes, are all very well orchestrated. it is a film with very high production values and quite funny at times, but Quentin Tarantino’s obsession with shocking the audience with over the top gore and despicable characters went to far this time, I found the ending disgusting to be honest, but I did really enjoy the first half of the movie, and I liked the movie overall, but the gore in this movie is not necessary, it doesn’t make it batter, it is gratuitous. 

• Like 1

#94 The Magnificent Seven | Directed by Antoine Fuqua
Box Office $162,400,000
Oscars noms/wins: 0/0

Golden Globe noms/wins: 0/0

giphy.gif

I actually have still not seen the original movie to this, I know I’m sorry. I was actually pretty excited about this cause I like most modern westerns and I love Chris Pratt, the funny thing is when I actually watched the movie, I felt Pratt was a little miscast and Matt Bomer who is only in like five minutes of the movie ended up being my favorite part of it. Denzel Washington was, of course, good as always, but it wasn't like one of his best performances or anything, anyways this movie had a really cool final showdown and that’s mainly why I enjoyed it, but it kind of dragged in the middle and a lot of the humor didn’t really work, it was an entertaining film overall but nothing special.

#93 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home | Directed by Leonard Nimoy
Release Year: 1986
Box Office $109,700,000
Oscars noms/wins: 4/0

264503-science-fiction-star-trek-iv-the-

So I am actually one of those people who, love don’t like but love JJ Abrams Star Trek 09’ it is one of the best sci-fi films ever made IMO, and I pretty much had no exposure to the tv series or older movies beforehand, don’t judge me, but I decided I wanted to give the originals a shot so I have been very slowly watching these movies, and I mean slowly I think I saw Star Trek The Motion Picture in like 2010 or something.

Anyways, I really liked this movie, and I wasn’t really a fan of any of the others, Wrath of Khan was decent I guess, but I still found it to be pretty overrated, this movie was so much better, it was funny and had a nice buddy team up feel, love how the past for them was the 1980s! and Spock swearing so just priceless, like if you’re a huge fan of the originals I could see why you may not like this one as well, but this movie just didn’t care, and worked really well was comedy, so for that reason it is my favorite of the first 4 trek films so far. 

#92 Seven and a Match | Directed by Derek Simonds
Release Year: 2001
Box Office N/A
Oscars noms/wins: 0/0

6923641.jpg

Seven and a match is a tiny little indie film that I managed to find on youtube, that I’m not gonna lie the main reason I sought it out was because Eion Bailey and Adam Scott share a kiss (well more like a mark out sesh) in this film, and well who doesn’t want to see that? Well anyways it’s about seven friends who hang out at the old house that the main character (Heather Donahue) grew up in and find out it is being foreclosed on, so basically, they debate on if they should burn it, and make it look like an accident so they can claim insurance on it. 

This movie actually ended up being a kind of nice little indie drama. Sure it is a little soap-opera like, but if you looking for a minimalistic film with some decent performance and a few name actors before they were famous this is an interesting little movie to watch.