Kalo

Kalo's Top 100 first viewings of 2016.

#91 Pretty Woman | Directed By Garry Marshall
Release Year: 1990
Box Office $463,400,000
Oscars noms/wins: 1/0

Golden Globe noms/wins: 1/1

20130528090810_16229.jpg

Pretty Woman was the movie that put Julia Roberts on the radar of mainstream audience, and made her a household name, especially in the romantic genre that thrilled in the 90s, which honestly she has much to attribute to that, unfortunately this genre has almost all but died out, sadly because most of the time it is like they aren’t even trying anymore.  
Somehow I had managed to nod see Pretty Woman, even though Julia Roberts was one of my favorite actress growing up, and while it is certainly flawed and even a little materialistic, it is still a pretty charming movie with some nice laughs, not nearly as good as “My Best Friends Wedding” in my opinion, but worth a watch.

• Like 1

#90 Tucker and Dale vs. Evil | Directed by Eli Craig
Release Year: 2010
Box Office $4,700,000
Oscars noms/wins: 0/0

Golden Globe noms/wins: 0/0

tucker-and-dale-vs-evil-logo.jpg

Alan Tudyk And Tyler Labine stars as the title characters Tucker and Dale, two nice hillbillies who are just trying to have some fun at the Cabin getting away, but all hell breaks loose with a group of college kids mistake them for serial killers and wage for with these unlikely heroes.

This movie was crazy, it was also funny, gory and not half bad, it was so stupid, but in a purposeful way and who doesn’t want to see a group of dumb college idiots bite the dust in hilarious ways from time to time, I love Alan Tudyk, he is great and pretty much everything and it was nice to see him in a leading role for once, and him and Tyler Labine had great chemistry, I know this is horror comedy, but I must say 2016 was really the first year where I started watching horror films and there are quite a few that will be making their way into this list.  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

#89 Changeling | Directed by Cint Eastwood 
Release Year: 2008
Box Office $113,000,000
Oscars noms/wins: 3/0

Golden Globe noms/wins: 2/0

thechangeling1.jpg

Changeling is based on the true story of a mother who loses her son in 1930s Los Angeles, only to find when he is returned to her, he is not her son, when everyone including to police try to convince Christine that he is her son she begins to look for help in other places to find justice for her missing child. 

This movie really got to me, it is so haunting and made me so angry, it was a bit of a slow burn and yes maybe meandered a bit at parts, and It’s hard to say enjoyed watching it per say, but it was a very good movie with an excellent performance by Angelia Julie, the best I’ve seen her give actually, along with steady direction by Clint Eastwood I’d say it’s definitely worth checking out. 

• Like 1

#88 Demolition | Directed By Jean-Marc Vallée
Release Year: 2016
Box Office $2,000,000

Demolition-Movie.jpg

Jake Gyllenhaal plays Davis, a man who just lost his wife in an car accident deals with it in a very unconventional way. 

So this movie is a little different I’m not sure anyone would deal with the loss of their wife the way Davis does is very realistic, at least for a decent human being, but despite that ending up really enjoying this movie, Jake’s Character ends up having a really interesting relationship with Naomi Watts’ character that I rather liked, but I’d have to say the highlight of the film is the relationship between Davis and Naomi’s son, Chris, who is played brilliantly by young actor Judah Lewis. I hope he continues to perform because I could see a promising career ahead of him in the future. 
I also did not realize the same director who directed this, directed Dallas Buyers Club, this isn’t as good of movie, but now that I think of it there is some similarities there.

There are also several kind of random long takes of Jake taking a shower, and well that never hurts.

• Like 1

#87 Deadpool| Directed By Tim Miller
Box Office $783,100,000

Golden Globe noms/wins: 2/0

Deadpool-movie.jpg

Deadpool, a film the fans wanted for years and Ryan Reynolds himself campaigned for it to be made, and finally after some test  footage leaked to a very positive reaction Fox agreed to do a rated R Superhero film. 

Now this movie was funny, Ryan Reynolds was pretty much perfect as deadpool, and Morena Baccarin is so charming and one of the most beautiful woman ever in my opinion. if I was just watching this movie with little hype then I would think it works as a decent comedy movie, it is mostly funny, although not as funny as some people seem to think, and it's story is pretty razor thin. put of the reason why I may not love it as much as some is that I'm not really a huge Deadpool fan, he's just a little too immature and raunchy for me, not that I don't like some raunch, but some of it, just didn't quite work for me here, saying fuck 250 times does not automatically make a movie funny imo. Deadpool is a decent film, but certainly not the best "X-Men" movie and not the best Superhero film of 2016.

• Like 2

#86 Drive | Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn
Release Year: 2011
Box Office $76,200,000

Golden Globe noms/wins: 1/0

drive_poster_abdu.jpg

Drive is another one of those films I've heard great things about, and had pretty high hopes for, I watched it and I was.. kind of underwhelmed, this movie has some really great cinematography, and great uses of color and lighting, but the story is so thin and the lead is so unlikeable, it's kind of hard or root for him, becuase he is cool I guess? it doesn't help that whether I there is any truth to this or not, Ryan Gosling has a jerkface to me and everything about his character in the movie didn't help. I mean sure there was some enjoyable stuff here, I always love me some Oscar Isaac and Bryan Cranston, but they are both underutilized.

So in the end Drive is an entertaining film to watch, but I it is all style over substance, a theme I am starting to see in Nicolas Winding Refn films tbh.

On a side note there is alot of amazing fan posters made for this film.

• Like 1

#85 Hail Caesar! | Directed By Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Box Office $63,600,000

hail_caesar.png

The Coen Brothers star studded love letter to golden era Hollywood turns out to be just that, but it's kind of okay in this case. Hail, Caesar! isn't anything special really, there is a bunch of drama going on around the production of a major film for Capital Pictures, and Hollywood fixer Eddie Mannix tries to keep everything from going out of control for the studio. 

This movie is not going to be for everybody it is kind of a Much Ado About nothing story, but there is some great comedy and charming performances from the cast, the biggest Highlight being Alden Ehrenreich who steals every scene he is in, Hail, Caesar! is not the Coens best movie by any means, but if your not expecting anything groundbreaking, it's not half bad either!

• Like 1

#84 Mulholland Drive | Directed By David Lynch 

Release Year: 2001
Box Office $20,100,000
Golden Globe noms/wins: 4/0

Mulholland-Drive_At-Mothers-Poster-300x1

Mulholland Drive is one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, I mean I got the main jest of the story, but it is told in a very unconventional way that gets more confusing after time goes by, and the end result is well kind of disturbing, I also was able to find of rather interesting articles about the meaning behind this movie, that including hypnotising, and a warning about the dark side of hollywood. which only made me feel more mixed about it, I definitely didn't love it like alot of people seem to, and at times I think I might hate it, but I'm not sure that is true either, I'd say I need to watch it again, but I'm not sure I would want to. this movie is really really strange and I think I like or loved bits of it and hated other parts and that's the best I can come up with for now.

• Like 1

#83 Eddie The Eagle | Directed by Dexter Fletcher

Box Office: $46,200,000

eddie-the-eagle-07.jpg

Based on the incredible true story, that nobody's heard of Eddie Edwards Olympic Ski Jumper in this ultimate underdog story. that actually turns out to be well pretty good, Taron Egerton is great, Hugh Jackman is great, story is fun and uplifting, and it has a nice 80s soundtrack to boot! 

Edited by Kalo

#82 Pleasantville | Directed By Gary Ross

Release Year: 1998
Box Office: $44,800,000
Oscars noms/wins: 3/0

pleasantville.jpg

A movie where Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon, travel to the 1950s, in the alternate reality of a 1950s black in white tv show "Pleasantville"

This movie was really interesting, had a fairly unique premise and I rather enjoyed it, the second half got a little boring, but overall this was a really good film.   

• Like 1

#81 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi | Directed by Michael Bay

Box Office: $69,400,000

13hours.jpg

Well this has got to be best Michael Bay film I've seen in awhile, So I'm not sure how much of this is true, but I honestly thought this movie was really good, it was dramatic, had great action scenes, John Krasinski and James Badge Dale were great, this movie was shot beautifully, and there were no gratuitous shots of woman, of course there was really many woman at all in this movie, but still. I really liked this movie, it was a little too long, but this is a big improvement for Michael Bay, now just keep him away from Transformers and having him make more movies like this.

Fun Fact: John Krasinski auditioned for the role of Captain America, in the First Avenger, but when he saw Chris Evans massive bulk, he thought he didn't stand a chance, but he later got to bulk up for 13 hours.. if not Cap.. maybe Superman? I would like that.

• Like 1

#80 Ghostbusters | Directed by Ivan Reitman

Release Year: 1984
Box Office: $295,200,000
Oscars noms/wins: 2/0
Golden Globe noms/wins: 3/0

ghostbusters-1984.jpg

So Yeah, I had never seen Ghostbusters before, just something I never got around to, and well I really enjoyed it, possessed Sigourney Weaver was probably my favorite thing about it, but I don't know I just didn't find it game changingly amazing, maybe becuase I didn't grow up with it, it was funny but not like the funniest movie I've ever seen. although I finally got around to see the 2016 reboot, and well yeah it's miles better than that.