WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

Hidden Figures is selling NUTS at my theater. The showing that just started in a 60 seat auditorium was completely sold out. Nothing else is coming close to what it's doing right now. A showing of La La Land in 10 minutes has sold 30 seats, and showings of Passengers and Sing that just started only had 15-20 seats sold (the latter is in the theater's biggest auditorium).

Edit: Holy shit, it's even selling well into tomorrow.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hidden Figures is selling NUTS at my theater. The showing that just started in a 60 seat auditorium was completely sold out. Nothing else is coming close to what it's doing right now. A showing of La La Land in 10 minutes has sold 30 seats, and showings of Passengers and Sing that just started only had 15-20 seats sold (the latter is in the theater's biggest auditorium).

Edit: Holy shit, it's even selling well into tomorrow.

I knew it would do well 

• Like 1

Underworld: Blood Wars was the only true wide release of the week, but it was Hidden Figures’ wide expansion that generated the best result at $1.2 million. This is more impressive, as dramas tend to underperform action films in previews; for example, Selma pulled in just $400,000 during its previews. That film earned $11.31 million during its first weekend of wide release and Hidden Figures is expected to double that figure this weekend.

Underworld: Blood Wars also had previews last night, but the studio isn’t reporting any figures. We predicted the film would make just under $13 million this weekend, but if the studio isn’t even going to report its preview numbers, that could be way too optimistic.

for the Selma comparison, and finally someone out of the BO sites not saying there were no previews for Underworld

Looking at theatres around Vancouver, presales for HF aren't too too strong, but I'm in math class and only had the chance to check 2 theatres right now. Will probably be strong for walk ups however.

52 minutes ago, Dipl Eng Kalin Kamenov said:

Dream On ;)

Out of the-numbers.com w/e prediction

Hidden Figures, which is expanding into nearly 2,500 theaters. The film’s reviews are over 90% positive, while it is been a regular Awards Season nominee. This should boost the film’s box office chances and it has a very slim shot at first place. Third place with $21 million is more likely and that’s still a major opening for a January release

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/218560830-Weekend-Predictions-Underworld-is-a-Serious-Underdog

not saying it will happen, but there seems a slight possibility out of their POV before the preview details hit the news

We will see latest with the actuals at Monday (in case it will be head-to-head)...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Looking at theatres around Vancouver, presales for HF aren't too too strong, but I'm in math class and only had the chance to check 2 theatres right now. Will probably be strong for walk ups however.

But this is normal for Canada.  Films with a strong and predominant black cast about black issues rarely do gangbusters here.  There are even some Madea movies that don't even get released in Toronto.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But this is normal for Canada.  Films with a strong and predominant black cast about black issues rarely do gangbusters here.  There are even some Madea movies that don't even get released in Toronto.

It pisses me off to be honest. And it's well known too; we didn't get Straight Outta Compton right away for those reasons. Then we got a lot of complaints, and we finally got the movie, and it sold out opening night.

• Like 5

Just now, elcaballero said:

My mom just told me that she wants to go see Hidden Figures. I had no idea that she even knew about it.

I want to watch it. Females into maths... I am in 

NASA.... I am in

based on.... depends on, but at least will try to find out specifics, what I already did .... I am in.

• Like 3

I think The Accountant proves that people will go out and see movies about math, if said math is mixed w/badassness. Which HF totally is. Plus, the whole thing of #OscarsSoWhite plays into HF's success as a potential Best Picture contender (and January is typically favorable for black movies), the book was a very popular bestseller, Taraji P. Henson is one of the stars of the very popular Empire (which could have a good effect OS as well), the marketing was good, and the general public is usually interesting in anything that has the word "NASA" attached to it. In another words, Hidden Figures is kinda a perfect storm when you really think about it.

• Like 1