WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

4 hours ago, The Dark Shape said:

I don't understand why Rogue One's number is shocking.  A 52% drop is basically identical to The Force Awakens' 53% post-New Years week drop last year.

RO had a deflated weekend with NYE falling in the weekend while SW7 was outside. Not a shocking number but it's not good, in the context. It should have held better than SW7.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

I think that worked decently for the holiday period, but not so much for anything that follows. We are back to normal days again, movies don't really have any reason to follow the same trends anymore. 

The 2011 comparison works until this weekend I think. If you compare with last year's post New Year's weekend the drops aren't bad. But last year most holdovers had 50% drops because they were coming off of an inflated weekend with New Year's Day on a Friday, this year (like 2011) they are coming of a deflated weekend because New Year's Eve was on Saturday. The biggest drop in the top10 in 2011 was Chipmunks with -42%, everything else had smaller drops. Maybe the weather is to blame but these drops aren't very good across the board.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Office Christmas Party quietly passed $110m last weekend.

Good lord. No wonder they keep churning out those kind of shitty comedies.

EDIT: thought that number was DOM. Still...

Edited by Hatebox

Not bad for Underworld, considering its 35 million budget and its 45 million overseas grosses.

If it makes at least 100 million worldwide ( and for a fifth movie, this is quite good ), I guess we'll be watching Underworld The Last War soon. 

Anyway, the plot really needs to wrap up. I mean, vampires and werewolves need to call it a day and have dinner together. :)

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, The Dark Shape said:

I don't understand why Rogue One's number is shocking.  A 52% drop is basically identical to The Force Awakens' 53% post-New Years week drop last year.

Yes, and it's already at $450m DOM for crissakes. Do people expect it to pass Avatar? It's going to creep past $500m DOM, and who can be unhappy with that? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Check up if the weather was similar

When more or less all titles are lower than predicted and several members point out to the bad weather in certain regions, I'd take that seriously enough to look into it if still being .... not sure what is correct: worried, irritated, simply wondering strongly, or... :)

FWIW, it's not just bad weather in isolated pockets, the entire broad southeast, from Richmond to New Orleans, is experiencing way-colder than normal weather this weekend. Pretty big cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond, Birmingham, and New Orleans are getting ice and sleet, roads have been closed, emergencies have been declared, etc. and temperatures are WAY down across the board even in most of Florida. And these are places where folks aren't used to these conditions.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/07/us/winter-storm-south-snow/index.html

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Yes, and it's already at $450m DOM for crissakes. Do people expect it to pass Avatar? It's going to creep past $500m DOM, and who can be unhappy with that? 

Hyperbole much? No one ever expected it to pass Avatar, but there's no way around it, the Friday number is below average and so is the WE, if it stays at $23m. It's not terrible by any means, but it definitely is significantly below expectations (only 65% jump from Thursday). That being said, weather is apparently terrible in some parts of the US, so it must have affected the BO quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Not bad for Underworld, considering its 35 million budget and its 45 million overseas grosses.

If it makes at least 100 million worldwide ( and for a fifth movie, this is quite good ), I guess we'll be watching Underworld The Last War soon. 

Anyway, the plot really needs to wrap up. I mean, vampires and werewolves need to call it a day and have dinner together. :)

Niceeer.:)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Silence is just not catching on at all. If it doesn't get major Oscar recognition next week, it's likely not even gonna pass $10M in total.

Silence was always going to be a tough sell. Its more of a passion project for Marty than something that was ever to make money 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Silence was always going to be a tough sell. Its more of a passion project for Marty than something that was ever to make money 

Tell that to the people who thought it could be this year's The Revenant. Oops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyA10 said:

Hyperbole much? No one ever expected it to pass Avatar, but there's no way around it, the Friday number is below average and so is the WE, if it stays at $23m. It's not terrible by any means, but it definitely is significantly below expectations (only 65% jump from Thursday). That being said, weather is apparently terrible in some parts of the US, so it must have affected the BO quite a bit.

To show it wasn't expected to have the high 5th weekend numbers that e.g. Avatar had anyway... add weather, don't be that disappointed, that was , what I understood the answer / post like.

Dry comments, understatement in expecting, overstatement (term?) to show what is meant :)

Edited by terrestrial
typos again
  • Like 1

Next weekend is MLK weekend, so things should be fine. Patriot's Day and Live By Night should both have sucessful starts. while Sleepless is going to debut around Broken City or Triple 9, Monster Trucks will be Pluto Nash 2.0, and Bye Bye Man wil go bye bye.

I think at this point Rogue one has done everything it has needed to do. It's going to gross 500 million and it's going to make a billion worldwide. I think Disney and lucasfilm are going to be over the moon with these kind of numbers

• Like 11

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

Next weekend is MLK weekend, so things should be fine. Patriot's Day and Live By Night should both have sucessful starts. while Sleepless is going to debut around Broken City or Triple 9, Monster Trucks will be Pluto Nash 2.0, and Bye Bye Man wil go bye bye.

I'm feeling Patriots Day will be the only opener to make more than $15M. Live by Night's ad campaign has been really muted and unpersuasive (the reviews and direct competition from Patriots Day won't help either), while the other openers look like January dumps.

• Like 1

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

I like your weekend recap stuff but sometimes when you make bold blanket statements like what you just made, and you do it often, I'd like to know where you get your opinions from? Like what are you basing this stuff on? How can you possibly know what is going to do what. Bye bye man looks like another generic January horror movie and just like other generic January horror movies it has the potential to open up to silly numbers like 10 or 15 million. All I'm saying is that it would be interesting if you gave us comparisons and reasons as to why you think what you think.

• Like 1