WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

25 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Depressing black movies seem to have a 50-60 m ceiling.

12 Years A Slave ended up with 56 m despite critical buzz.

I'd say that was true for darker and more dramatic movies in general - at least in the last several years or even decades.

Manchester by The Sea isn't having the breakout La La Land is. Poor A Monster Calls is DOA.  The Room did $14m, Spotlight made $45 0 even with winning Best Film.

It's not a coincidence the top 10 movies of the year are what they are - or even the top 20 to 50. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Another good example is Precious and The Blind Side...

and many of my black friends preferred to watch the Blind Side. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'd say that was true for darker and more dramatic movies in general - at least in the last several years or even decades.

Manchester by The Sea isn't having the breakout La La Land is. Poor A Monster Calls is DOAThe Room did $14m, Spotlight made $45 0 even with winning Best Film.

It's not a coincidence the top 10 movies of the year are what they are - or even the top 20 to 50. 

You're tearing me apart, Tali!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I assume you're asking about Fences. Let's just say...it's not something to seek out if you want an escape.

I'm sorry, I read his post as he was saying that it's depressing black movies have a low ceiling. I misunderstood, my error.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Especially depressing "white people are baaaaaad" movies.  Like, why would white people support movies that keep hammering they are bad? 12YS, Selma (it even turned LBJ into a semi-villain even though he was historically super supportive of MLK), BoaN, etc. Nobody says they shouldn't make those movies, but they shouldn't be surprised when whites simply skip them and see something else.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Fences seems to be falling hard. Obviously the snow affected it but I wonder how the legs for that movie will be? 

I don't think the movie was gonna do that well. The trailers made it look a bit morose and "stage-y"

It looked good though, but still

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Especially depressing "white people are baaaaaad" movies.  Like, why would white people support movies that keep hammering they are bad? 12YS, Selma (it even turned LBJ into a semi-villain even though he was historically super supportive of MLK), BoaN, etc. Nobody says they shouldn't make those movies, but they shouldn't be surprised when whites simply skip them and see something else.

Did you watch Selma?  Not only were their white supporters of MLK but white victims of the Segregationist Racists portrayed - as they existed in realty.

LBJ wasn't a semi villain in Selma.  It showed him as a political realist and a man in conflict navigating some difficult waters and that while he shared many of MLKs goals and beliefs his course as President also had other concerns like getting the rest of his Great Society Plan implemented.  He wasn't alone in that treatment.  Selma also showed MLK acting at times politically rather than righteously in service of his goal.

Twelve Years A Slave.   Slavery is bad - kind of cut and dry.  if you feel kinship and identify with slave owners and those that supported a system of slavery or looked the other way because it made their lives more convenient then well yes I guess the movie wouldn't be for you.  Just like Nazis probably care to avoid Nazi Germany is bad movies.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Planodisney said:

If we are saying virtually every movie had disappointing numbers then obviously the weather had a big effect.

I think every film, but... maybe a few screened overly in big cities or lets say certain cities (indies...) had a bit better chances, as people could walk to those to a part or had in those (e.g. award orientated cities) another weather than....

= I have no idea where the weather was exactly, only to give an idea for ehat to look for.

In my region films mostly for children did a bit better than films more for adults, as during the day the streets were a bit less slipperey, but in general here too all films seem to be down

• Like 1

Regardless of chart position will have this wknd, 1 thing is certain - it's a fantastic natl debut & lots of cash lies ahead.

WHY HIM? makes an estimated $6.5M weekend, down 35.3%, for $48.55M total through 3 weekends.

Ben Affleck's LIVE BY NIGHT is only delivering $7k per in exclusive release--his gangster pic goes wide in 2,700+ theaters next weekend.

• Like 5