kayumanggi

THE BOSS BABY | 353.0 M overseas ● 528.0 M worldwide

The Boss Baby earned a further $17m in 67 markets. South Korea, distributed by CJ, debuted on $7.6m. Meanwhile, the UK earned $871,000 for $32m and third place, Holland generated $749,000 for $5.2m, down only 21% and Italy brought in $721,000 for $6.5m, down only 28%.

Other strong holdovers include Argentina, which decreased only 34% on $586,000 for $5.1m. The Boss Baby has earned $278m internationally.

Did solid business in India (best in Metros). Close to 15cr gross ($2.5m) crossed Frozen lifetime figs in OW. Could have done more but since its a original movie it has done its best! If this movie gets sequel im sure its gonna do well all over irrespective of critical acclaim from critics, audiences liked it!

Any idea about China and Japan release?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Japan hasn't released a Dreamworks film since Madagascar 3. For some reason, it's not getting a release in China either. I'm guessing it's related to quota rather than censorship. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Japan hasn't released a Dreamworks film since Madagascar 3. For some reason, it's not getting a release in China either. I'm guessing it's related to quota rather than censorship. 

That's a shame. It would have made an extra cash with China's help. What does Boss Baby have that makes China hesitant to release it or not?

The last Dreamworks-originals got China-releases so why not this film? Especially considering how well it has done so far, OS?

I dread to think if Captain Underpants ends with a similar fate.

Kinda almost near to wasted opportunity there. ?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 3

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

That's a shame. It would have made an extra cash with China's help. What does Boss Baby have that makes China hesitant to release it or not?

The last Dreamworks-originals got China-releases so why not this film? Especially considering how well it has done so far, OS?

I think maybe it just got skipped because of the crowded releases this year. China can only accept 34 imported films a year. Right now, Captain Underpants also does not have a release date even though other big June releases have passed and been given release dates.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Any specific reason why Dreamworks dont release their flicks in Japan? If movies like Arrival can mint a Million OW why cant Boss Baby? Is it related to Boxoffce potential of these movie? Are they underestimating it?

35 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I dread to think if Captain Underpants ends with a similar fate.

Kinda almost near to wasted opportunity there. ?

If not Japan, China would have helped it cross 500M at the boxoffice ? Very bad considering this movie has potential which is untapped at the moment.

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I think maybe it just got skipped because of the crowded releases this year. China can only accept 34 imported films a year. Right now, Captain Underpants also does not have a release date even though other big June releases have passed and been given release dates.

Ok lets assume quota for this year is over, movie like Grace Of Monaco released a year later in China. Boss Baby might have a release next year in china!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Any specific reason why Dreamworks dont release their flicks in Japan? If movies like Arrival can mint a Million OW why cant Boss Baby? Is it related to Boxoffce potential of these movie? Are they underestimating it?

From what I was told, it was because their films (outside of Shrek and Madagascar titles) bombed spectacularly despite being wide releases. Arrival was a limited release in Japan, so its performance is not as bad in comparison. I'm not sure if I buy that reasoning since Lego Batman got released in Japan anyways and only made $1 million!

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

Just now, KP1025 said:

From what I was told, it was because their films (outside of Shrek and Madagascar) bombed spectacularly despite being wide releases. Arrival was a limited release in Japan, so it's performance is not as bad in comparison. I'm not sure if I buy that reasoning since Lego Batman got released in Japan anyways and only made $1 million!

1 fucking million :o Why cant the audiences able to connect with their movies? or why cant Dreamworks sell their flicks in Japan for lesser rights than what they are worth of in other markets? Too many questions :D

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

For what it's worth, the Good Dinosaur also did not get a release date in China. So it's not unprecedented for some animated films (which are not big in China) to be skipped over and unreleased.

Hmm, i feel they are missing out every penny in these markets which is bad. :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Did solid business in India (best in Metros). Close to 15cr gross ($2.5m) crossed Frozen lifetime figs in OW. Could have done more but since its a original movie it has done its best! If this movie gets sequel im sure its gonna do well all over irrespective of critical acclaim from critics, audiences liked it!

The Indian performance is actually pretty damn great. Animation films aren't that popular in India, so if that figure is true then it's only trailing a bunch of animation sequels. Among first instalments, I think only The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn performed better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piku-Banerjee said:

The Indian performance is actually pretty damn great. Animation films aren't that popular in India, so if that figure is true then it's only trailing a bunch of animation sequels. Among first instalments, I think only The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn performed better.

Tin Tin was popular. I remember watching cartoons and moreover it was Spielbergs movie and it had good promotions which helped the movie alot! It had 50 day run in some theaters in bangalore and other metros AFAIK.

Boss Baby had baby as a central theme and people were saying baby looks so cute and girls were literally drooling over baby :D 

The Boss Baby generated $2.9m from 57 markets for $307.2m. Led by strong holds in Argentina on $458,000 for $7.2m after a 17% drop; France on $296,000 for $23.8m, up 5%; and Germany on $215,000 for $14.3m, down 16%.

Source: Screen Daily

315M+ OS and 175M+ DOM

Almost half a million