That One Girl

Blockers | April 6, 2018 | Leslie Mann, John Cena, Ike Barinholtz | Getting great reactions at SXSW

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, agree. I guess the performance sports side of their backgrounds (wrestling and, to a certain extent performative, MMA) really helps bring that charisma necessary for comedy quite naturally. Hell, The Rock's whole schtick was that he was quicker and faster on the mic than everyone else.

Though we do have one wrestler turned actor that has done more serious things so far (Batista), and he's done well too. Albeit his most popular role is, of course, more comedic (Drax).

That's a great point that performance sports side is helping them. Also, I think because sports require discipline, they bring it into acting too. 

Yes, Batista is GOTG MVP. :bravo:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I haven’t seen anything for this.  No idea what it’s about. 

It’s the first funny R rated comedy of the year (looking at you Game Night). 

Plus, all the scenes the audience died laughing at aren’t in the trailer! 

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope Cena snags Best Actor in Comedy nom at the Globes. Fat chance cause HFPA are too stuck up to nominate an ex wrestler but he deserves it more than whatever category frauds get in there all the time. 

Too stuck up?  What the fuck are you talking about?

They gave the Golden Globe to James Franco for playing Tommy Wiseau about 3 months ago.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Too stuck up?  What the fuck are you talking about?

They gave the Golden Globe to James Franco for playing Tommy Wiseau about 3 months ago.  

yes, Franco is an actor and they thought that was so hip of them. I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes, Franco is an actor and they thought that was so hip of them. I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

First the narrative was they are stuck up but when that is pointed out as stupid the narrative is they like stuff that is so hip.  

Weird, it's almost like you will change the narrative to whatever fits your own bias.  

Edited by EmpireCity

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope Cena snags Best Actor in Comedy nom at the Globes. Fat chance cause HFPA are too stuck up to nominate an ex wrestler but he deserves it more than whatever category frauds get in there all the time. 

The fact you are talking about who should win an annual 2018 prize in March should be a bit clue about who is really being biased here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Ex wrestler? He's performing at WrestleMania in like 10 days.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

First the narrative was they are stuck up but when that is pointed out as stupid the narrative is they like stuff that is so hip.  

Weird, it's almost like you will change the narrative to whatever fits your own bias.  

Hipsters = stuck up. How's that change of narrative? :P

The box office next weekend will be really interesting. Both this and quiet place have breakout potential, but I'm really not sure how they'll do. I'm hoping for 20M apiece at least.

@EmpireCity any thoughts how this'll shape up? Is one drastically outpacing the other or are they in the same ballpark?

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 8:51 PM, ban1o said:

I'm surprised at the good reviews for this. I'm also surprised it's not a total mysoginist movie like it seemed in the trailers lmao 

Not that women are incapable of creating art that has mysoginist overtones, but the fact that Blockers is directed by a woman (written by two dudes, thought) helps rein in any potential mysoginy in the narrative.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:07 PM, Jonwo said:

Blockers is fantastic, hilarious and poignant at the same time. I have to say John Cena was a scene stealer and surprisingly he was very believable playing an overprotected Dad. 

Great to hear! Can't wait for this! Hopefully it'll do big business with long legs. :)