terrestrial

Tuesday 10 January - HF 2.877 | SW R1 2.532 | LLL 2.37 | Sing 1.678 | Underw. 1.561 | Pass.1.231 | Why Him .993 | Fences .749 | Moana .688 | Ass.Creed .585

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

I know it's expensive but I almost never go to the theatre without getting popcorn. I just can't lol.

Same! Since I started working there I've become addicted. Not every time but If I go to concession I always get a small popcorn and large iced tea. Only costs me 3 bucks so I don't mind usually. It's how theatres work cause they know the smell gets to ya or something. 

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I never get popcorn, it's a total ripoff and I always feel really gross afterwards. Too greasy, incredibly unhealthy, I can feel my organs rotting from the inside :P My GF will sometimes get a small, and I'll eat literally two handfuls and that's that. As much as possible I try to discourage us getting anything there because it's such a ripoff. 

Same. And with popcorn, I have to get something to drink. Boom, $10+ spent right there. A big reason why I rarely go to the theaters anymore. I just wait for it to hit home video. Movie theaters can get very expensive for movie buffs like me. 

With Tuesday behaving like this how long before Wed openers become Tue openers.

But then Tue openers will have Monday mid-day previews. So catch your fav movie on the 1st work day of the week.

I don't like popcorn, as it is too 'empty' for my taste.

The cinema that is nearest to me and... only offers popcorn, some strange Mexican chips (forgot the name and the chips do not really seem to be like the original) that I am too not feel about like it is a meal. And sweets like Gummibears...

If they'd offer something more filling, not sweet, like e.g. a sandwich (baguette bread here, not toast) or a burger ... I'd buy it every time. So I buy a soft-drink and ask for alternatives (in the hope they'll offer an alternative sometime in the .... probably farer away future).

Do prople know everywhere what a Breze (brezel?) is? Correctly and  freshly made it can be very nice.... (I've seen some in foreign countries that were not totally bad, but not really good either)

As far as I know Germany is the country with the most alternatives for bread variations, lets say 'we' tend to be picky about the bread quality (at least that is still true with the people I know) and one of the main reasons a lot of people are not fans of burgers.

Btw, BO.com started to tweet the Tuesday results around 1/2 an hour ago, nowadays they are really late. Since they changed their software I am not happy with them (speed and weekday charts in especial)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

I only buy popcorn when I go with friends or if I go with my parents (who pay for the popcorn because I'm cheap). Going to the cinema ends up being pretty cheap for me when I take away concessions, and I've literally never been stopped from bringing food in, although it is almost always in my backpack.

• Like 1

So what's everyone thinking re: Rogue One's Wednesday? Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows's dailies for this week in 2011 indicate that we would see a mere 18% drop from Tuesday and a gross very similar to Monday but a tad bit bigger. Now, I calculated a bigger drop for R1 - based on the bigger Monday to Tuesday increase than that of SH 2 - but still got the same result: a very similar number to Monday, plus a bit more. 

About $1.8M today for R1 if it behaves in this fashion. 

14 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

If you brought a backpack anywhere I know it'll be searched for sure 100% of the time. Safety and security are big at movie theaters now days.

They're more lax about it in New Zealand. Been in with it like 20 times this year and not once have they asked to search it.

28 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So what's everyone thinking re: Rogue One's Wednesday? Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows's dailies for this week in 2011 indicate that we would see a mere 18% drop from Tuesday and a gross very similar to Monday but a tad bit bigger. Now, I calculated a bigger drop for R1 - based on the bigger Monday to Tuesday increase than that of SH 2 - but still got the same result: a very similar number to Monday, plus a bit more. 

About $1.8M today for R1 if it behaves in this fashion. 

Right around the Monday number seems reasonable. Your $1.8m figure gives a 29% drop; I'm expecting a little bigger.

1 hour ago, elcaballero said:

Right around the Monday number seems reasonable. Your $1.8m figure gives a 29% drop; I'm expecting a little bigger.

Ok I'll play. How about -32%? hehe. I agree with you, though, my suspicion is that if Rogue One experienced a bump much larger than TFA did, it'll experience a drop also commensurately larger. I mean, I could be wrong, but just a theory. It would certainly be nice to see a Wednesday gross right around the Monday, though. 

Couldn't see Rogue One Wednesday, a ridiculous 30-year-snow-storm hit Portland yesterday and dropped 12-15 inches of snow depending on where you were. Annual snowfall in Portland is 4.5 inches on average, so there you have about 3 times the average in a single 24 hour period. Unreal. And we've been hit repeatedly with snow this year. I've seen Rogue One at least 5 times fewer than expected now just because of this crap. I went at 1 p.m. Tuesday to beat the weather and got home by 4. The snow hit an hour later, so I just barely missed it, but that was expected. I'll still drive out tomorrow night at 10 p.m. and see the final IMAX showing at my local theater. Then it's one week of IMAX downtown, far away (where I saw TFA almost every time, though, since I lived there so that'll be cool), because my idiotic local theater is replacing Rogue One with La La Land. Grr.

For 20 years in the US, I always used to get Popcorn. Coke and Twizzlers.

Now in India, I get Chicken burgers, sandwiches and chicken hot dogs with coke. Once in a while I still get popcorn. At theaters where they have Cafe Coffee Day (A Starbucks clone), I get Smoked Chicken and Coke/Thums Up. 

My mobile phone company has special movie offer where the tickets are a third off regular prices for every session except Saturday evenings. It's even fine for new releases on opening day. On top of that the theatre chain I use sometimes sells discounted gift cards at 25% off. 

A lot of the time I'm pretty paying almost 50% off regular prices.  There's also a points based reward system. So I get a free movie every so often. 

• Like 2

These 40%+ Tuesday jumps are becoming less and less an anomaly. I wonder what's the ceiling for Discount Tuesday?

Here in Spain the discount day has always been on Wednesdays, with a 40-50% discounted price in most places. It's been like that since forever, so audiences are very accustomed to it. In consequence, it has become a huge moviegoing day. Nowadays, more tickets are sold on Wednesdays in Spain than on Friday or Sunday (note, that doesn't mean more gross, weekends still are more profitable), only Saturday is a bigger moviegoing day. Given how big Discount Tuesdays are becoming in the US, I wonder if you'll end up approaching this kind of scenario in the future.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

Honestly it's one of those double edged swords though. With MoviePass I absolutely will not go to any movie Tuesday no matter what. First it's my goal to cost MoviePass as much as possible (lol teasing...) but mainly I want to avoid the huge crowds. I will go see Rogue One in IMAX on Tuesdays because it's no discount or any other IMAX movie because they're empty on Tuesdays compared to other screens. If I didn't have MoviePass though I would still try to avoid Tuesday nights.

Yeah I'm not a big concession guy any more.  If I ever get anything, it's usually just a drink, or if i am with someone maybe the pretzel bites, or depending on the theater, some "actual" food.  I rarely do popcorn.  But I haven't gotten any concessions the last 5 or so screenings at least