Plain Old Tele

Patriots Day (2016)

Patriots Day (2016)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Was really good, probably the best of the Berg/Walburg films so far. The acting was pretty good as was the score. Some scenes were a bit too sappy I will admit, but given the theme of the film they did fit. The film did a great job at showing the great job the police did at finding the scum terrorists!

A-

• Like 1

Eh. It's a certainly a movie with moments of power and tension (the bombing itself is suitably harrowing, and the shootout in Watertown is especially well-done), but the main problem with the movie is that there's really no reason for it to exist, especially when these events that occurred less than four years unfolded like an actual movie in real time with the whole world watching. We don't learn anything that we didn't already know going in, and Peter Berg seems unsure if he wants to make a documentary (real footage is often used) or a Hollywood-ized account of the events that transpired. Mark Wahlberg is fine, but his completely fictionalized character's only purpose seems to be to have a famous face that the audience can latch on to. In fact, this has to be one of the bigger wastes of an ensemble cast in all of 2016 cinema, as J.K. Simmons, Kevin Bacon, and John Goodman are given little to nothing to do and poor Michelle Monagahn might as well had been excised from the movie completely. The actors playing the bombers are pretty good and create a chilling presence, though, and Melissa Benoist (aka Supergirl) gets by far the best scene in the movie (the interrogation scene with Khandi Alexander). It's certainly a well-meaning movie that was clearly made with noble intentions (although can we please retire this recent trend of showing interviews with the real people at the end of the movie? Here it proves especially excessive), but if you unless you were living in a cave in April 2013, there isn't much of a reason to seek this out. I thought this was on par with Lone Survivor; Deepwater Horizon is the only one of the Berg/Wahlberg collaborations to date that I've cared about. C+

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

So because Simmons had a gun fight he was more involved in this than Bacon?  Are you sure you saw Patriot's Day?  The same film I saw?

To be fair baumer, most of the time, it does seem like you see a different movie than everyone else does. ;)

• Like 1

Yikes why haven't I reviewed this yet? Awesome movie! Shame it only made in its domestic total what I thought it would in opening weekend :(

Watch it, you'd be doing yourself a favour even jut as a film fan. But the harrowing and emotional beats are really what build this movie.

• Like 1

Can be quite suspenseful and emotional, but everyone in the cast acting like they are in a right wing fantasy really turns me off. Cringeworthy dialogue and sappy, omnipresent score don't help. Also, why so goddamn long? you don't need to give a subplot to every fucking character in your film, jeez. 5/10

Edited by Goffe