Best Visual Effects

Alien: Covenant

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

Edited by tribefan695

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's good for me, but bad for the movie's award chances (Unless Netflix wises the fuck up)

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i still don't think it's a death knell for awards. the only movie they've really campaigned was beasts of no nation and the film was the issue more than the campaign they ran, which was pretty extensive.

Still, the question is: would voters watch a movie that definitely won't play at any of the multiplexes?

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i still don't think it's a death knell for awards. the only movie they've really campaigned was beasts of no nation and the film was the issue more than the campaign they ran, which was pretty extensive.

I really don't know if it was the movie's fault when Idris Elba won SAG.

Just now, filmlover said:

Still, the question is: would voters watch a movie that definitely won't play at any of the multiplexes?

they watch everything on screeners so i don't think it matters. just a question of getting the publicity that makes them actually want to watch that particular screener.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I really don't know if it was the movie's fault when Idris Elba won SAG.

he won sag because the movie didn't get the oscar nomination and people were riled up. bleak child soldier movie in fukunaga's style can be a bit much for those types. plus it wasn't that good.

• Like 4

I don't get how Netflix is eligible for the Emmy awards either at times, then again I don't really pay attention to those. The only award show I pay attention to anymore is the Oscars, though I'm less and less interested in the more recent Oscars anymore.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he won sag because the movie didn't get the oscar nomination and people were riled up. bleak child soldier movie in fukunaga's style can be a bit much for those types. plus it wasn't that good.

I could've sworn you liked it? Anyways, good to see you don't because I wasn't a fan either.

it was ok. first half great but it drops off.

btw people really doubted Room's chances because of how A24 botched A Most Violent Year's campaign the year before. People dismissed Manchester By The Sea as a contender last year because it was an Amazon/Roadside joint. gotta give these studios a chance to work out the kinks!

• Like 3

just thinking about it. these are the movies i thought were the best picture frontrunner a year ahead.

2016: silence

2015: joy

2014: unbroken

2013: monuments men (oh jesus)

2012: lincoln

2011: war horse

2010: inception

2009: nine

what movie should i curse this year? hmm, i'm feeling like darkest hour sounds oscary enough. gary oldman as churchil sounds like a shoo-in but hey, if personal reputation is what's gonna block affleck from the oscar this year it won't do him any favors. 

• Haha 1

a big plus for me was that i was the first person to mention 12 years a slave in the 2013 thread. but it was for this

On 1/11/2013 at 0:12 AM, CoolioD1 said:

I hope Chiwetel Ejiofor is nominated for that Steve McQueen slave movie, since he's a wonderful and underrated actor. But he probably won't make it because Steve McQueen isn't an Academy friendly flimmaker and by that time slavery will be seen as "soooo last year."

:sadben:

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just thinking about it. these are the movies i thought were the best picture frontrunner a year ahead.

2016: silence

2015: joy

2014: unbroken

2013: monuments men (oh jesus)

2012: lincoln

2011: war horse

2010: inception

2009: nine

what movie should i curse this year? hmm, i'm feeling like darkest hour sounds oscary enough. gary oldman as churchil sounds like a shoo-in but hey, if personal reputation is what's gonna block affleck from the oscar this year it won't do him any favors. 

Just pick a random title, who knows you could be right ;)