Suburbicon

Call Me by Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

Detroit

Mother!
The Current War

My rotating list of replacements if one of these turns to be a flop critically (aka the not-quite rejects): Goodbye Christopher Robin, Thank You for Your Service, Battle of the Sexes, Downsizing, Mountain Between us, Marshall, Greatest Showman, Mary Magdalene, Snowman, Granite Mountain, American Made, Victoria and Abdul, Stronger, Wind River, Logan, The Big Sick, A Ghost Story, The Beguiled, Baby Driver, Colossal, Their Finest, Lost City of Z, Mudbound, Wonderstuck, Logan Lucky

No Post?

weinstein did give his favourite oscar release date to Mary Magdalene instead of the current war. Mary seems like a shitstorm waiting to happen in thinkpieces but it's something to consider. also fox searchlight gave the mid october date they like so much for their top contenders to Three Billboards.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'd swap The Current War with The Post on your list; Darkest Hour is a much stronger contender. 

Darkest Hour just seems like something that'll get lost instead of actually pulling through.  there tends to be at least one Weinstein Oscar-nomination (I think 2015 was the only exception, and that was the year Carol was snubbed), so I'll predict Current War to fill that void.

Other predicts for the main categories in addition to my BP ones:

Director:

1. Kathryn Bigelow, Detriot

2. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

3. Todd Haynes, Wonderstruck

4. Darren Aronofsky, mother!

5. Steven Spielberg, The Post

Actor:

1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

2. Tom Hanks, The Post

3. Daniel Day Lewis, Untitled PTA

4. Hugh Jackman, The Greatest Showman

5. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Current War 

Actress:

1. Meryl Streep, The Post

2. Jennifer Lawrence, mother!

3. Frances McDormand, Three Billboards

4. Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game

5. Rooney Mara, Mary Magdalene

Supporting Actor:

1. Steve Buscemi, Lean on Pete

2. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name

3. Javier Bardem, mother!

4. Ben Mendelsohn, Darkest Hour

5. Woody Harrelson, The Glass Castle

Supporting Actress:

1. Michelle Pfeiffer, mother!

2. Julianne Moore, Wonderstruck

3. Kristin Scott Thomas, Darkest Hour

4. Michelle Williams, The Greatest Showman

5. Naomi Watts, The Glass Castle

Original Screenplay:

1. The Post

2. Detroit

3. Darkest Hour

4. Get Out

5. mother!

Adapted Screenplay:

1. Wonderstruck

2. Molly's Game

3. Call Me By Your Name

4. The Glass Castle

5. Lean on Pete

• ...wtf 1

Oldman and Pfeiffer winning, and Buscemi, Stuhlbarg, Mendelsohn and Todd Haynes all getting nominated for the first time would be some overdue-recognition overload that I definitely wouldn't mind to see happen. 

Molly's Game is one I'm fascinated with. I would love it if Sorkin made a kickass movie with a great starring role for Chastain and denied all (well, probably not all but most) the thinkpiece-ready writers the satisfaction of raking him over the coals. At the same time I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it's a flavorless bore or even a mild disaster where he gives in to his bad tendencies. 

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Oldman and Pfeiffer winning, and Buscemi, Stuhlbarg, Mendelsohn and Todd Haynes all getting nominated for the first time would be some overdue-recognition overload that I definitely wouldn't mind to see happen. 

Molly's Game is one I'm fascinated with. I would love it if Sorkin made a kickass movie with a great starring role for Chastain and denied all (well, probably not all but most) the thinkpiece-ready writers the satisfaction of raking him over the coals. At the same time I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it's a flavorless bore or even a mild disaster where he gives in to his bad tendencies. 

According to those that read the screenplay, the biggest issue with Molly's Game is that it's waaaaaaaay too long; otherwise it's good. Adapted Screenplay is looking very weak, so I'd expect it to get in for now.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

According to those that read the screenplay, the biggest issue with Molly's Game is that it's waaaaaaaay too long; otherwise it's good. Adapted Screenplay is looking very weak, so I'd expect it to get in for now.

Hopefully he either cut chunks out or pulled a Fincher and had the actors speak the dialogue crazy fast, then had the editors remove every second that's not necessary

Edited by Jake Gittes

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hopefully he either cut chunks out or pulled a Fincher and had the actors speak the dialogue crazy fast, then had the editors remove every second that's not necessary

who knows how that's going considering sorkin apparently just fired the editor on the picture. definitely on wait and see mode for this picture.

• Like 1

Sorkin sometime after he was fired from West Wing stepped over the sanctimonious asshole line and never looked back. I'm a huge fan of his early work (Sports Night, West Wing) and I don't exactly hate Studio 60 or Newsroom but boy, they were so dissapointing and overbearing in so many ways. I think it's no accident that the 2 best projects he is being involved in the last decade+(Social Network, Moneyball) were not "his" movies.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

THE GLASS CASTLE has a lot of promise, especially if Lionsgate doesn't mess it up. Give it the right push and don't mess it up, and Harrelson could be gunning for the Oscar.

That they've given it a wide August release right off the bat is a bit worrying.

inspired by my dumb early best picture winner prediction in that bumped thread, i'll do it again here. really feeling wonderstruck for it right now. at least it premieres at cannes in just one week so we'll know how stupid i am pretty soon.