Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

9 hours ago, BirdMan said:

the man's track record isn't that big honestly , the only good Nolan movies were TDK and Inception , Inception received a lot of love and TDK was a superhero movie and those don't get any

I personally think Nolan is a mediocre version of Villeneuve  

I dunno, man, Memento has its fans.

So, my first predictions for the new awards season are:

Battle of the Sexes

Blade Runner 2049

Darkest Hour

Downsizing

Dunkirk

The Greatest Showman

mother!

Mudbound

Untitled Detroit Riots Movie

Wonderstruck

Some of this is a shot in the dark, but I feel rather confident in a couple of these.

Edited by CoolEric258

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm fully expecting Battle of the Sexes to be Emma Stone's The Danish Girl and get her an afterglow nomination even if it isn't very good.

I feel like this will be good and I love the cast. I can't find a release date, but I'm hoping they will be releasing it at the end of the year when the Oscar bait movies start coming out.

It seems like it has all the ingredients for an Oscar contender, a battle against sexism, a woman coming to terms with being a lesbian and it's a biopic (sort of).

http://www.eonline.com/news/831767/next-year-s-oscar-contenders-emma-stone-jennifer-lawrence-salma-hayek-more

Battle of the Sexes

Blade Runner 2049 

Darkest Hour 

Downsizing

Dunkirk

Get Out

The Greatest Showman 

Logan 

mother! 

Wonderstruck 

Call me crazy, but Get Out's insane reception, possible $150 million+ DOM run, sociopolitical commentary and the desire to avoid an #OscarsSoWhite controversy again just might cause it to be that rare horror film to get some Oscar attention. I'm not saying it'll win, but it seems like it and Logan will be those rare crowdpleasers that wow critics also (kinda like Mad Max - Fury Road), 

Editorial: Get Out's going to be a footnote by the end of the year. Reception's inflated right now because people are getting caught off guard by a horror movie having blunt social commentary, but once they've thought about it for more than two seconds they'll realize it's just a weak haunted house/stepford wives riff with racism theme window dressing that doesn't even deliver that with any conviction.

Apologies in advance, but you can expect this to be a thing for me this year.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Even with their great reviews, neither Get Out or Logan is even sniffing a Best Picture nomination. Sorry.

sad but true. In a 10 BP field and w/o preferential ballot, maybe. But with this rule, sadly no. :(

I'm afraid that the winner is already known. That Detroit riot Bigelow movie. Critics are going to back it up like they did ZDT and smear campaign and snub for ZDT are only going to help her narrative. Also, she won in 2010 so that isn't too recent and they didn't have problem giving Inarritu back to back Oscars. 

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

sad but true. In a 10 BP field and w/o preferential ballot, maybe. But with this rule, sadly no. :(

I'm afraid that the winner is already known. That Detroit riot Bigelow movie. Critics are going to back it up like they did ZDT and smear campaign and snub for ZDT are only going to help her narrative. Also, she won in 2010 so that isn't too recent and they didn't have problem giving Inarritu back to back Oscars. 

We're in March. We don't know who the hell is winning anything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We're in March. We don't know who the hell is winning anything.

true, though sometimes the winner is obvious super early. Like DDL in Lincoln. Some roles/movies are tailor-made for wins. We may deny it cause it's boring to have the race over before it began, but in the end the outcome is the same. Like, everyone knew Viola was gonna win for Fences. They just though it would be in Actress, not Supporting. 

aren't the white cops played by will poulter and TF4's mr. statutory rape the main characters? not sure think that was said when they were cast. in today's age of extreme pseudo-wokeness it can be tricky for any white filmmaker to make a race film lest they get accused of all kinds of business. Ted Melfi even got a bit of that backlash for hidden figures for adding in that kevin costner stuff. need to see the optics of that bigelow movie first. the winner's are stuff like spotlight and moonlight these days. generally agreeable backlash-proof movies.

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

aren't the white cops played by will poulter and TF4's mr. statutory rape the main characters? not sure think that was said when they were cast. in today's age of extreme pseudo-wokeness it can be tricky for any white filmmaker to make a race film lest they get accused of all kinds of business. Ted Melfi even got a bit of that backlash for hidden figures for adding in that kevin costner stuff. need to see the optics of that bigelow movie first. the winner's are stuff like spotlight and moonlight these days. generally agreeable backlash-proof movies.

Oy! Who?