Plain Old Tele

New 2017 Spoiler Policy (please read) - Read new post for the Bright suspensions and bans clarification

New 2017 Spoiler Policy

First, a slight adjustment for a movie’s main thread: no untagged spoilers within four (4) weeks of its North American release. After that point, spoiler discussion is allowed. For other threads (in other words, in all threads except the movie's main thread), no untagged spoilers until the movie is released on home video in North America. "Released on home video" means Digital HD or Bluray/disc, whatever comes first.

In a specific movie’s thread, you don’t need to specify what topic you’re spoiling. In general threads, tagged spoilers are fine, as long as you indicate what movie it's for. For example:

(INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE spoilers)

Maika Monroe’s scream is powerful enough to destroy alien shields.

Note: When a big blockbuster has a special Spoiler thread and another Spoiler-Free thread, spoilers are not allowed in the Spoiler-Free thread at all. The threads will be merged after the 4-week window and at that point it can be treated like a normal thread. This is the same policy we have right now, so people should be familiar with it.

Some movies do not have a theatrical release and go straight to VOD, or were produced specifically for streaming services (Netflix, Amazon). For those projects, we will assume a reasonable 2-month "theatrical" window where spoilers will apply. For example, if Netflix releases a movie on Jan. 20, spoilers would need to be tagged until March 20.

We encourage people to use the Review That Movie forum if they want to immediately jump into heavy spoiler discussions. And, of course, certain blockbusters have their own special Spoiler thread as well.

Suspensions/warnings/bans

Punishments will be up to the discretion of the staff, given the severity of what was spoiled and our interpretation of the intent. Someone who maliciously posts huge un-tagged spoilers for a highly anticipated movie — especially in an un-related thread —risks a long suspension or even a permaban. On the other hand, an excited conversation about a movie where someone accidentally slips too much detail into an answer may only get a PM, points, or a 24-hour suspension.

We think these new rules will help everyone, especially when it comes to platform releases around Oscar season and movies that have long international rollouts. That being said, we’re open to feedback and suggestions if someone has an idea they feel would help.

• Like 11

Just now, eXtacy said:

OMG when i first logged in my initial reaction was I thought i had been banned/suspended with that huge notice with a ton of red writing :rofl:

Anyone else?

Not me, but I burst out laughing when I read this, so you get a "like" for that. Guilty conscience? I almost want to check your post history for the past 24 hours. ;)

Anyway, already commented in the CC thread, but I think these new rules are great. Especially the policy on tagging spoilers in other threads until home video release. Thanks!

• Like 4

Guess peeps better be careful in the SW 8 thread until April. :)

Actually, I think that might be cause for a reasonable clairification question.  What about things that have gotten large amounts of coverage in the press under extraordinary circumstances?  Would conversation about that still need to be under spoiler bars?  

Rogue One spoilers follow:

Spoiler

For instance, talking about the possibility, no matter what LFL is saying right now, of CGI Leia in Episode 8/9 is... difficult without talking about the fact that CGI Leia appeared in R1.

Just seeking cliarification on this possible edge case. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Guess peeps better be careful in the SW 8 thread until April. :)

Actually, I think that might be cause for a reasonable clairification question.  What about things that have gotten large amounts of coverage in the press under extraordinary circumstances?  Would conversation about that still need to be under spoiler bars?  

Rogue One spoilers follow:

Reveal hidden contents

Just seeking cliarification on this possible edge case. 

I haven't discussed it with the rest of the staff, but I feel that certain franchise-related specific information, under unusual circumstances, would qualify as a partial exception -- essentially the franchise thread in question could be treated like the movie's main thread. (In essence, for the purposes of this specific spoiler, the Episode 8 thread could be considered equal to the Rogue One thread.) 

But in future cases it's probably worth reaching out to the mods if you have a question along similar lines, with other movies.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Is it first release in the US or when it goes wide. The founder opened in NY/LA on December 16 but goes wide this weekend and Silence now has been out for four weeks. Is it safe to spoil? 

1st released.  That is why it went from 2 weeks to 4 so people didn't have to worry about it being limited or wide.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

From the ashes of @CJohn's la la meltdown, spoiler rant, and number 2 retaliation, comes the La La by the Sea Rule.

You should have seen my wrath descending upon the Mods WhatsApp chat.

• Like 3