grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

What the hell is going on here?  People get that Black Adam is the villain right?  Why are you making a Black Adam solo movie?  If you want The Rock to be in one of these and star in it so bad, just make him Shazam/Captain Marvel.  I'm mind-boggled.  A Black Adam solo movie?  It's Black Adam we are talking about.  He's not Deathstroke.  He's not even Deadshot.  He's Black Adam.  I get he's The Rock, but even The Rock has plenty of bombs under his belt as well.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UTJeff said:

What the hell is going on here?  People get that Black Adam is the villain right?  Why are you making a Black Adam solo movie?  If you want The Rock to be in one of these and star in it so bad, just make him Shazam/Captain Marvel.  I'm mind-boggled.  A Black Adam solo movie?  It's Black Adam we are talking about.  He's not Deathstroke.  He's not even Deadshot.  He's Black Adam.  I get he's The Rock, but even The Rock has plenty of bombs under his belt as well.  

Black Adam has evolved into a Magneto-esque grey-shaded character in the comics, so it isn't that big a deal.

Ah, so it all makes sense now. All this immense interest from The Rock in essentially playing an one-off villain really didn't make sense to me, now the curtains are open and yeah, I see what his plan was all along. That's he's actually pulled it off with WB shows his power as a movie star at the moment.

Very interested to see how the hell they'll pull this one off.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Ah, so it all makes sense now. All this immense interest from The Rock in essentially playing an one-off villain really didn't make sense to me, now the curtains are open and yeah, I see what his plan was all along. That's he's actually pulled it off with WB shows his power as a movie star at the moment.

Very interested to see how the hell they'll pull this one off.

The Rock definitely has pull but as I mentioned in the Shazam thread, Black Adam is one of Geoff Johns's favorite characters too. He has done a lot of work to flesh out the character from being a two-dimensional baddie and has transformed him into a tragic anti-hero who's been wronged and demonized by history way more than he deserved, and who is now struggling to clear his name. This was before the DCEU. It's a pretty good role for an actor of color like Dwayne and I can definitely believe Johns pushing for a Black Adam solo too.

It's a much richer complex than the goofy and child-like Shazam (which does have its appeal too of course) and the mythical/god like imagery of Black Adam lends itself well to the Justice League pantheon of God like beings. Some folks are kind of having a knee-jerk reaction for no reason (I mean, the film may totally suck but not because it simply has Black Adam as the lead instead of Shazam). WB/DC are allowed to tweak and evolve their schedule based on the latest developments instead of stringently following their initial plan as if it were set in stone.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2017 at 6:56 PM, UTJeff said:

This is where The Rock's old phrase comes in handy: "It's doesn't matter what you think!"   (No offense meant to you, of course!)

This prospect sounds goofy, indeed (but no goofier, and probably less, than a Jack Black-fronted Green Lantern, which was in the cards a decade or more ago), but I go back to my assertion that it doesn't matter what character a script springs from...all movie characters are fictionalized, even real-life ones...a good writer can make a great character out of someone or something seemingly hallow on the page, and vice versa...they can also fail to capture an essence...and all the things in between.  There were no great characters on screen until somebody wrote them for the screen!   Obviously Warner Bros., DC and The Rock think they must have something here...but given the groups' recent feature film rep, they can use all of The Rock's goodwill that they can get...and I think that's what they're capitalizing on...who can blame them?

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

This is where The Rock's old phrase comes in handy: "It's doesn't matter what you think!"   (No offense meant to you, of course!)

This prospect sounds goofy, indeed (but no goofier, and probably less, than a Jack Black-fronted Green Lantern, which was in the cards a decade or more ago), but I go back to my assertion that it doesn't matter what character a script springs from...all movie characters are fictionalized, even real-life ones...a good writer can make a great character out of someone or something seemingly hallow on the page, and vice versa...they can also fail to capture an essence...and all the things in between.  There were no great characters on screen until somebody wrote them for the screen!   Obviously Warner Bros., DC and The Rock think they must have something here...but given the groups' recent feature film rep, they can use all of The Rock's goodwill that they can get...and I think that's what they're capitalizing on...who can blame them?

Whatever happens, happens.  WB and DC will do what they deem is right.