grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

If you haven't been following the Deadline BO weekend updates recently: Deadline Anthony has been suspiciously trying to spin this films BO performance and now it's all culminated with this insane article (with a quote from one the films producers and everything). This guy is pulling shit out of his ass. 

However, working in Black Adam‘s favor is a thriftier marketing budget to Universal’s $140M push of Hobbs & Shaw. How is that? There’s been some intense cost crunching going on at Warner Discovery which is mired in debt and going through rounds of layoffs. Black Adam put the bulk of its spending in digital marketing over linear, teed off by Johnson’s massive social media bullhorn which has a reach of a near half billion followers across TikTok, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Also factor in shorter theatrical windows nowadays on movies which enables the studio to stretch their marketing dollars. PVOD for the film is hitting at a time when the pic is still in theaters and outdoor ads are still around. Black Adam is dropping on HBO Max on Dec. 16, after a 57 day window, a long enough frame to maximize theatrical, PVOD and sell through dollars. The swing factor in the net profit here on Black Adam: Warners contends they spent $80M global P&A, which would get the pic to a $72M surplus, whereas the $100M contended by other sources lands the pic at a $52M profit.

I understand that Johnson’s deal wasn’t as aggressive as his previous deals (read Red Notice). He received his $20M upfront fee, and stands to profit according to our numbers which is at cash breakeven zero. There’s a 40% profit pool shared by director Jaume Collet-Serra, the pic’s producers Beau Flynn and Seven Bucks, talent and Johnson, who is the largest participant at more than 10%. That comes out of the net $52M. This shared pool goes into effect after the studio breaks even. No one on Black Adam received first dollar gross per our understanding. 

The production cost of $195M includes studio interest charges which are at a low corporate rate of 2%. Residuals and home entertainment costs are rolled into total costs for the film of $338M. The fee that Warner Bros pays itself to send the pic to HBO Max is included in Home Entertainment revenues of $86M. At this gross level, domestic pay TV, which is PVOD, yields $36M.

he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whi

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, AJG said:

If you haven't been following the Deadline BO weekend updates recently: Deadline Anthony has been suspiciously trying to spin this films BO performance and now it's all culminated with this insane article (with a quote from one the films producers and everything). This guy is pulling shit out of his ass. 

:ohmygod:

• Haha 8
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I share this with a friend and we spent a good 20 minutes just laughing at the amount of nonsense written in the article. Absolutely delusional.

16 minutes ago, cax16 said:

:ohmygod:

How can the Rock be such a tough, confident guy and reduce himself to stuff like this? Like, I thought this was the kind of thing someone like him wouldn't be caught dead doing.

I haven't cringed that hard in awhile.

I guess this is what happens when you get as larger than life as he has gotten. He literally has to micromanage his brand. I heard that he has a stipulation in his movies where he can't lose a fight or something. I honestly couldn't imagine micromanaging my own brand to this degree. I do not ever want to be that rich and famous.

Edited by Verrows

4 minutes ago, Aj9 said:

It is funny to see how many people are trying to spin this as flop. It is neither flop or big box office hit. Through ancillary revenues, it has achieved some profit. 

That's the thing, it doesn't have to be labeled..period.

4 minutes ago, Aj9 said:

It is funny to see how many people are trying to spin this as flop. It is neither flop or big box office hit. Through ancillary revenues, it has achieved some profit. 

I’m not sure if it will actually make anything but it’s not a massive flop or anything. 

It did fine where it released, they obviously were expecting a China and Russia release and never got it. With that said The Rock didn’t need to make that post but I know how important this movie was to him so I’m not surprised to see, though I understand why people are laughing and cringing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Is this true or is this dude spreading bs?

He's telling the truth.

Also, when one of the biggest stars on earth is advertising that they are clearly paying a Hollywood trade to publish financials to try and prove their film made a profit, the movie most likely made a loss.