grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

As someone who adored Shazam and was very pessimistic on Black Adam because of the rock....movie looks fine. Liked Dr Fate a lot, nice to see The Rock try and act again I guess. Looks moderately better than other superhero movies but still a lot of the same as well.

• Like 1

It's kind of surprising that Dr. Fate has never made it to the big screen until now.   Great character, and can essentially be embodied by anybody.  Tied to Hawkman here, too, in Smallville, 2010.  

3 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Looking at DC's box office results, I'm beginning to see a pattern.  DC is certainly capable of putting out hits, even huge ones.  But these seem to be movies with relatively modest openings and great multipliers (Wonder Woman, Joker, Aquaman).  The Batman got a better opening, but not even touching previous Batman movies (especially not inflation adjusted).

It seems to me that DC movies just don't have as reliable a fan base as the MCU does.  I also think that general audiences are more likely to take a wait and see approach with these movies.  I'm sure that aggressively releasing these movies on HBO Max only reinforces this mindset.

So for WB, its frighteningly easy for DC's movies to slip through the cracks.  That's the real danger for Black Adam- not that audiences will hate it, but that it'll come and go with no one noticing.

And on star power.  The Rock is a huge star, but he's been in plenty of generic movies to middling results.  Star power isn't worth that much if you don't know how to use it.  Jumanji 2 is a great example of a movie that had star power and used it very well.

Tbf previous batman movies were sequels. WB just need more sequel movies like when joker 2 comes out that should do great numbers, same with aquaman 2. It's the start off standalone ones that are in trouble.

• Like 1

Dr Fate is most likely the standout of the movie but I'm still bothered by the helmet design... Like why they took out the eyes? lol

They will need to bring a lot for the second trailer because the views are Morbius tier.

1 hour ago, SupermanLego said:

Is it me or is Black Adam getting not traction at all. All of it's social media, youtube, instagram views are bad/mediocre for such a big movie ??

It’s trended on Twitter(USA) at number 1 for a few hours and has been in the top 15 since 9am, so it’s done what it’s supposed to I guess, I’m sure they’ll attach it to all the big summer movies as well, it’s just too bad the trailer wasn’t better. I didn’t look at trailer views etc cause I don’t really buy into that stuff anymore and DC never does big trailer numbers. Even The Batman got “average” mcu movie trailer views and that’s considered big for a DC movie. 

We won’t know how this is gonna do till closer to the release but if I had to make a guess right now I’d say 400-500m maybe. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

DC movies pretty much never see the kind of social media buzz that Marvel movies get. No one should have ever expected that from this movie. 

When tb trailer come out it was huge.....black adam has the rock. It should be way bigger.

1 minute ago, SupermanLego said:

When tb trailer come out it was huge.....black adam has the rock. It should be way bigger.

Batman is DC’s biggest character. The average person has no clue who Black Adam is. The widest exposure the character’s gotten has been the Injustice games, and he’s a minor villain in those. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Batman is DC’s biggest character. The average person has no clue who Black Adam is. The widest exposure the character’s gotten has been the Injustice games, and he’s a minor villain in those. 

Ok not as big but the numbers are awful.....its too low.

50 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

DC movies pretty much never see the kind of social media buzz that Marvel movies get. No one should have ever expected that from this movie. 

I don't know where did you get that, views wise DC movies always do great.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I think the mandate to make every movie standalone is hurting the DCEU. The Suicide Squad also suffered from a lack of online hype. People who saw the previous DC movies have no reason to be excited for Black Adam. It will act almost like an original film, because the characters are unknown to general audiences and DC fans already expect it to have no repercussions to the greater DCEU storyline (which doesn't exist). This is just a theory I have, I hope it doesn't offend anyone or gets considered trolling.

I’m sorry but The Suicide Squad absolutely did have online hype, the first trailer was everywhere when it dropped, King Shark in particular was definitely trending. It didn’t translate to ticket sales, but to say it didn’t have social media hype is not accurate at all.

5 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m sorry but The Suicide Squad absolutely did have online hype, the first trailer was everywhere when it dropped, King Shark in particular was definitely trending. It didn’t translate to ticket sales, but to say it didn’t have social media hype is not accurate at all.

All I know is that the views on YouTube were nothing to write home about. 

Look at today for example, black adam trailer views are low I guess that’s what people are saying in this thread, but it trended on Twitter since the trailer dropped at 9am and is still in the top 20 now, 9 hours later. What does any of that mean? I personally don’t know lol.

I don’t worry about this stuff anymore, I just wanna see enjoyable movies, if it does good at the box office that’s even better but I don’t have any money invested in these so it is what it is. 

Edited by cax16

14 minutes ago, cax16 said:

They really don’t, there’s no correlation for trailer views and box office for dc movies. They do fine numbers but when you compare them to the average marvel movie like say Shang Chi they barely compare to even that. Batman has the same trailer views as Shang chi and the Batman was huge on social media.

What shang chi trailer ? loool

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Look at today for example, black adam trailer views are low I guess that’s what people are saying in this thread, but it trended on Twitter since the trailer dropped at 9am and is still in the top 20 now, 9 hours later. What does any of that mean? I personally don’t know lol.

I don’t worry about this stuff anymore, I just wanna see enjoyable movies, if it does good at the box office that’s even better but I don’t have any money invested in these so it is what it is. 

it has only 1.6m views on twitter.....that is BAD.

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

They really don’t, there’s no correlation for trailer views and box office for dc movies. They do fine numbers but when you compare them to the average marvel movie like say Shang Chi they barely compare to even that. Batman has the same trailer views as Shang chi and the Batman was huge on social media.

Other than niche like Birds of Prey or Shazam, DC movies do great on views, BvS, Man of Steel, Joker, Aquaman, The Batman all did great, even Wonder Woman 84 did good enough.

You picked the worst example only one Shang Chi trailer did decent numbers, Batman had way more views, the highest Shang Chi trailer views are lower than the lowest watched Batman trailer... Eternals is below Batman as well.

Besides it's not the point, the point is that Black Adam is doing bad in general, not even compared to Marvel.

I always thought this was floppy.

Rock is a star but his track record isn't flawless or even good lol. DC is not to be trusted. For every hit, they nearly followup with a disappointment. General audiences have no investment. Add in the fact the trailer turned out to be not "great", wasn't exactly hyped up or premiered during a sporting event, and Black Adam is a very obscure (for mainstream) character...

1 hour ago, Fox20 said:

Other than niche like Birds of Prey or Shazam, DC movies do great on views, BvS, Man of Steel, Joker, Aquaman, The Batman all did great, even Wonder Woman 84 did good enough.

You picked the worst example only one Shang Chi trailer did decent numbers, Batman had way more views, the highest Shang Chi trailer views are lower than the lowest watched Batman trailer... Eternals is below Batman as well.

Besides it's not the point, the point is that Black Adam is doing bad in general, not even compared to Marvel.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying? I’m not,  nor would I ever compare this to any marvel movies views, that was never expected and would never be expected from this movie or any dc movie in general.

Edited by cax16