grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

On 11/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, YM! said:

Imagine if The Rock wasn't scared of being beat up by children and was the villain in Shazam and then got a movie. Black Adam would have done a lot better.

Yup. The Rock's brand concerns really get in the way of his real potential as a movie star.

• Thanks 1

Now, the movie stands to lose $50 million to $100 million in its theatrical run, according to the estimates of insiders as well as rival executives with knowledge of similar productions. Sources at Warner Bros. dispute those numbers, saying the movie will break even.

43 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not to be that person but this is after plenty of people on here were insisting it did 'fine' lol.

I don’t recall anyone claiming it was a success. I, for example, said that the movie was performing about inline with what you’d expect from something like this, but that the big problem was that the studio overspent on it, and that the lack of China to bail it out like it’s done for many of The Rock’s previous films didn’t help.

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t recall anyone claiming it was a success. I, for example, said that the movie was performing about inline with what you’d expect from something like this, but that the big problem was that the studio overspent on it, and that the lack of China to bail it out like it’s done for many of The Rock’s previous films didn’t help.

No one really claimed it was a massive success but there was definite pushback in some weekend threads at least on calling it a flop/bomb/disappointment. 

• Like 1

Usually with these kinds of things it's the domestic gross that suffers with OS picking up the slack. In this case I think it did fine domestic (for what it is, not relative to budget) but OS let it down.

And again, it's the budget that makes this a flop, rather than it massively underperformed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Where is the Variety article for Black Widow($200M budget/$379M gross)?

Umm Black Widow simultaneously released on Disney+ which caused the whole showdown with ScarJo? Where were you last year lol

The fact that BA is still struggling to pass BW is nuts.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Mulder said:

No one really claimed it was a massive success but there was definite pushback in some weekend threads at least on calling it a flop/bomb/disappointment. 

It was doing okay for the first 2 weeks. But then it lost whatever momentum it had and the China ban was the final nail.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Umm Black Widow simultaneously released on Disney+ which caused the whole showdown with ScarJo? Where were you last year lol

The fact that BA is still struggling to pass BW is nuts.

It also released when most cinemas were closed and with a premium price on D+.

BA didn't have to face any of that.

5 hours ago, Ken said:

Well, since this movie's done with, what's the next Dwayne Johnson project that's been languishing in development for ages?

I'm quite frankly befuddled by the lack of a Jumanji 3 announcement by Sony. It's really weird. Every studio is covering franchises right now and they have a major one (first two were $900M and $800M grossers) sitting in their lap.

5 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'm quite frankly befuddled by the lack of a Jumanji 3 announcement by Sony. It's really weird. Every studio is covering franchises right now and they have a major one (first two were $900M and $800M grossers) sitting in their lap.

The last one ended on a bit of a cliffhanger too. Guessing they’re waiting for the cast to all be free at the same time.

• Like 1