WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

Very happy for Shyamalan. I'm in the group that puts even the very divisive Village in his good period. But I don't think he necessarily has to shy away from big budget films because the Visit and Split were small. Unbreakable and Signs had almost blockbuster budgets for their time and did great. The only reason he did uber-lame stuff like the Last Airbender and After Earth is because no one would finance his personal projects after Lady in the Water and especially The Happening turned him into the industry laughing stock. Those 2 movies are amongst the most hated, laughed at and spat upon high profile movies I can remember. It wasn't big budgets that hurted him, it was that two of his personal "auteur" projects turned out not just bad, but laughable.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Diesel can't draw a nickle outside of Fast & Furious

Too be fair, xXx is doing okay considering the second one without Diesel completely tanked, and the original Diesel movie was so long ago that its existence is pretty much forgotten at this point.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Remember when M. Night casted himself in Lady in the Water as a writer on his way to becoming one of the all time greats? Yeah, he deserved to be brought down several pegs after that little ego trip.

It also had this:lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Diesel can't draw a nickle outside of Fast & Furious

This was an interesting sequel because the last one came out 12 years ago and the first one came out 15 years ago.   Also the January time-frame for what obviously feels like a summer blockbuster but I think with "Fast 8" around the corner, many fans might be just waiting since the films do look similar in style even though "XXX" was first on the stunts aspects as a series before "Fast" made the switch.  Vin is obviously hoping "Fast" fans give it a shot.   

Vin drawing power is there though, he's had some blockbuster's he sold off his name like "Pacifier" with that said he's had his share of under-performers domestically like "Babylon AD", "A Man Apart" and recently "The Last Witch Hunter".  But Vin is an international star because of the "Fast" series so they are banking on overseas dollars as well especially with the China investment and Donnie Yen having a huge role and he's coming off "Rogue One".   "State of the Union" with Ice Cube bombed badly and many felt the franchise was done.   It will blow past "State of the Union" but fall short of the original adjusted and unadjusted.   Honestly it looks like a fun popcorn action flick like the other two.  

6 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Also not that great for La La Land. Maybe the 150m+ talk was a bit premature and it 'll end up in the normal oscar crowdpleaser range of 130-140ish million.

$150M is still possible but Chicago is likely out of reach. Still an excellent run it's having, though.

Hidden Figures is killing it, wow. And Patriots Day won't even make $35M in total, oof.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Well I saw xXx. Maybe the worst script of all time. I've never seen so much cheese and not in the fun way. It was a truly terrible movie. Stunt work was nice, sure, movie looks good. Everyone below the line did their jobs but who cares?! They wasted their time because the script is so goddamn horrible. Also Nina Dobrev needs to model underwear or something because she's the worst actress of all time. There is NO WAY anyone has ever sucked as bad as her. She's laughable in everything. I walked in on my GF watching Vampire Diaries once and I busted out laughing. She's like, "Yeah... Nina sucks. But she's pretty!" Well great, yes, she's hot as hell but unless she is playing the role of a mute then she shouldn't be cast in anything. She is in the wrong era - the silent film era would have been ideal for her.

Donnie Yen was legimately the best actor in the movie, maybe because he took it seriously. Everyone else acted like they were acting in a movie which just doesn't work. Thanks to this horrible abomination my GF informed me I've temporarily lost movie picking privileges and I can't even argue with it because I know I deserve a time out from picking movies after dragging her to that. Holy shit.

That's your fault for going and watching it un-ironically.  I went wanting to see something extremely dumb and boy is that what I got!  I had a good time with it.

• Like 4

Split's looking at 2/12/15/9 ($38 million OW). Considering the solid WOM so far and minimal competition until Feb 24 (Cure for Wellness seems like a niche R-rated horror that's getting dumped), a 3x-3.5x wouldn't shock me. I'm expecting $110-135 million DOM for Split. Possibly $140-155 million DOM if it has better WOM than I expect. 

XXX is doing about as well as anyone could expect for a sequel no one clamored for dumped in January. Last weekend, it might've done $30-35 million for the 4-day as the lone option with any mass appeal sans Hidden Figures. Now it'll likely limp to $40-45 million DOM and Diesel will return to F&F. 

Hidden Figures is in good shape - 4/6.5/4.5 ($15 million 3rd weekend of wide release). It's be on pace for $130-150 million DOM, not bad considering it's not likely to win any Oscars this year.

La La Land isn't doing awful since the post-MLK frame can lead to harsher-than-expected drops. Still on pace for 2.5/4/3 ($9.5 million). $130-140 million DOM seems more likely than $150-180 million DOM. Depends entirely on its boost next weekend (the 11-13 Oscar nods and a 500-700 theater count increase might get it back to $14-16 million range). 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

McAvoy's always been better than his contemporaries who always get more hype (like Fassbender) so I'm happy about this.

This! 

Super happy for McAvoy and Shyamalan's self-financing (5M) is paying off like nobody's business. Way to bounce back.

9 hours ago, Sal said:

Coraline probably qualifies.  That movie manages to be creepy as hell.  Both Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie are really more gothic fantasy in style rather than being horror.  Not sure about Paranorman.  I really need to watch that.

Paranorman is more like Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie than Coraline

• Like 1