grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

11 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Cameron will only be the producer, so better not keep a high expectation on this. Arnold is literally a non-factor to me now, even in a terminator movie because I've see how extremely dull Terminator Genisys was, and how he could've been replaced by another actor and I still wouldn't give a shit. I look forward to seeing how Linda's return plays out but I don't think it will play really well.

There's only one thing left of this franchise that people and fans want to see: the future war. And that's the ONLY way to properly reboot this franchise. Tell the story that has neve been told. That's part of the reason Batman Begins worked. Anything beyond that (such as old characters' return, blah blah blah) can only be icing on the cake.

"The film will be based on a story by Cameron and Miller. The duo assembled a writers room that includes David Goyer and Josh Friedman, who will develop what is planned to be a trilogy."

That's what keeps my expectations a little higher. It doesn't sound like the usual producer credit. Hollywood Reporter is also saying he came up with the story.

11 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Cameron will only be the producer, so better not keep a high expectation on this.

I am happy about Linda's return, but after so many crappy TV and film iterations of this mythos (a dead horse that keeps being beaten), only Cameron directing would make me feel truly excited.

• Like 1

I wish Cameron would leave the weird blue people for this, but alas, not going to happen.  He's certainly earned the right to do what he wants.  

Definitely interested in this, but cautious, I guess.  Kind of feels a bit like Ridley Scott coming back to the Alien franchise and ending up with Prometheus and Well It's Not Prometheus.  Just not wanting to get my hopes up.

On 21.9.2017 at 2:06 AM, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The Future War is boring as shit (IMO).

I dunno how anyone watching the flashbacks in 1 and 2 can not go "i wanna see more of this"...

As in anything, the execution matters. War is the background, what you make out of it is another matter. But to categorically reject it is... rather strange.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I dunno how anyone watching the flashbacks in 1 and 2 can not go "i wanna see more of this"...

As in anything, the execution matters. War is the background, what you make out of it is another matter. But to categorically reject it is... rather strange.

It doesn't seem very interesting me. I feel like we got the snippets we need. The rest seems just like "epic battles" for the purpose of epic battles. 

The fun of the Terminators, for me, are how they play out in a contemporary setting. Whatever intrigue or drama happens in the future seems essentially just like another war movie. You lose the time travel beats and you end up with something that feels -- ironically -- like something you've seen a billion times in video games that ripped off the basic concept of a future war. 

Or maybe to flip the question around: what would you hope to see that sounds awesome?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

It doesn't seem very interesting me. I feel like we got the snippets we need. The rest seems just like "epic battles" for the purpose of epic battles. 

See, again, i find that viewpoint strange. What if somebody would say the battles in LOTR were just there for the sake of it? Are you saying there's no way to make a great movie out of this setting, with characters you care for and which hold your attention?

The fun of the Terminators, for me, are how they play out in a contemporary setting.

But we have seen this too many times by now.

Or maybe to flip the question around: what would you hope to see that sounds awesome?

I dunno, the setting and mood alone sound amazing to me. Now just come up with a decent story and hire a great filmmaker and i would be a happy camper.

Edited by Elessar

The setting sounds boring to me. Perhaps it's  because I've yet to see any characters in that setting who seem interesting (and granted, if said characters exist it would be more interesting). But yes, LOTR in the context of only its battles and setting isn't super interesting (the film versions of the HOBBIT, for me, are an example of that).

Future John Connor isn't very interesting (except as a symbol of hope). Future Kyle Reese is only interesting in the context of his love for a woman from another time, whom he only knows through an old photo and stories people tell about her. 

So while it's possible someone creates some memorable characters *and* a future war context that's clever and plays against expected beats would be worthwhile (for sure), I really have my doubts as to whether it's reasonably possible. And the temptation is to lay on the cool war stuff to cover for its absence, but that way (for me) sounds unfortunate. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The setting sounds boring to me. Perhaps it's  because I've yet to see any characters in that setting who seem interesting (and granted, if said characters exist it would be more interesting). But yes, LOTR in the context of only its battles and setting isn't super interesting (the film versions of the HOBBIT, for me, are an example of that).

Future John Connor isn't very interesting (except as a symbol of hope). Future Kyle Reese is only interesting in the context of his love for a woman from another time, whom he only knows through an old photo and stories people tell about her. 

So while it's possible someone creates some memorable characters *and* a future war context that's clever and plays against expected beats would be worthwhile (for sure), I really have my doubts as to whether it's reasonably possible. And the temptation is to lay on the cool war stuff to cover for its absence, but that way (for me) sounds unfortunate. 

I'm totally with you here Tele.  I just don't see much that can be done with the future stuff.  It's not that it can't be good or anything, just I'm in agreement that I don't have much interest in it.  Since so much was already explained about it, it would almost feel like an unnecessary spin off.  Then again those have been known to work out just fine too

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

That's because we only know bits of them. All we hear of Connor is his messiah thing. That doesn't make him very human but what if we get to know him as a family man? That's just an example. My point is, don't judge a book by its cover.

Maybe the movies wouldn't primarily be about those characters but new ones? The possibilities are endless...

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

That's because we only know bits of them. All we hear of Connor is his messiah thing. That doesn't make him very human but what if we get to know him as a family man? That's just an example. My point is, don't judge a book by its cover.

Maybe the movies wouldn't primarily be about those characters but new ones? The possibilities are endless...

The great irony here is I have hope for a more "traditional" Terminator movie but not for a Future War one, and you feel the exact opposite. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

The great irony here is I have hope for a more "traditional" Terminator movie but not for a Future War one, and you feel the exact opposite. :lol: 

It's just weird calling something new "boring", yet wanting the same old same old. ;)

I'm of course looking forward to a new Terminator, especially one involving James Cameron (even if one shouldn't overestimate his involvement) and Linda Hamilton.

Edited by Elessar

4 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

4 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I contain multitudes of weirdness! :lol: 

Now I know how that T2 3D over $100m club happened   :gold:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/james-cameron-sounds-alarm-artificial-intelligence-unveils-a-terminator-21st-century-1043027

But this is Hollywood 2017, and no major franchise is truly dead. Ellison, along with distributor Paramount (Fox has international rights), has persuaded Cameron, who on Sept. 25 began filming four Avatar sequels, to shepherd a new Terminator for the era of Amazon drones, Facebook news bots and artificial intelligence-fueled anxiety. Calling it "a return to form that I believe fans of the franchise have been wanting since Terminator 2: Judgment Day," Ellison, 34, has for the past year worked secretly with Cameron and Deadpool's Tim Miller, who will direct the untitled sequel for a July 26, 2019, release. They assembled a writers room with scribes David Goyer, Charles Eglee, Josh Friedman and Justin Rhodes as well as Ellison, a lifelong Terminator fan (Cameron himself shows up once a week), and have crafted what they want to be a trilogy with Schwarzenegger, 70, and original star Linda Hamilton, 62, passing the torch to a young female lead. 

The team hopes it's launching the equivalent of the new Star Wars trilogy — but with the most successful filmmaker of all time pulling the strings. To unveil their plans and explain why the Terminator franchise is still relevant amid 21st century fears, Cameron, 63, and Miller, 47, joined The Hollywood Reporter's editorial director Matthew Belloni for a discussion Sept. 19 on the Paramount lot in Hollywood. 

So what does a James Cameron-produced Terminator movie look like in 2017?

CAMERON This is a continuation of the story from Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. And we're pretending the other films were a bad dream. Or an alternate timeline, which is permissible in our multi-verse. This was really driven more by [Tim] than anybody, surprisingly, because I came in pretty agnostic about where we took it. The only thing I insisted on was that we somehow revamp it and reinvent it for the 21st century.

MILLER The [first] films are more relevant today than they were when he made them. A lot of it seems like prognostication because it's coming to be — the world we live in right now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So Cameron is super involved in the project, trilogy planned, will work on it while doing the Avatars.

Tim Miller is a super cool & clever dude.

Faith restored and hope lives on for this project I think.

I just want this to succeed because I love Tim Miller's work in Deadpool and think it's crazy that neither Marvel or DC nabbed him for anything after that. Fuck Cameron. 

45 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I just want this to succeed because I love Tim Miller's work in Deadpool and think it's crazy that neither Marvel or DC nabbed him for anything after that. Fuck Cameron. 

I'm sure they both tried...but who would turn down working with Cameron on rebooting/continuing Terminator with complete creative control?  It's an honor. 

Sounds like virtually all of Miller's Deadpool crew came with him, as well...they clearly believe in him more than FOX or Ryan Reynolds, which is interesting.

Great interview.