grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

23 hours ago, Elessar said:

I'm trying to say that previous few movies have no bearing on how this one will turn out. It's pretty obvious.

Quality wise, you are completely right. 

Box office wise, I think they have a significant impact in lowering the reputation of the Terminator brand,especially with younger audiences.

Strong wom can counter this during it's run but I still think it faces an uphill battle to prove itself, which it wouldn't have to if the franchise was in a strong place. 

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

Quality wise, you are completely right. 

Box office wise, I think they have a significant impact in lowering the reputation of the Terminator brand,especially with younger audiences.

Strong wom can counter this during it's run but I still think it faces an uphill battle to prove itself, which it wouldn't have to if the franchise was in a strong place. 

Sure, without the baggage it would have had an easer time but a good movie will hopefully reverse the downward trend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

Let's hope so! Are you predicting it to break $100m in the U.S?

I'll give you my take. With Arnold Linda and Cameron's name together you got a good nostalgia factor going on. The only question mark is John Connor. They made such a big deal out of him in 1 & 2 and now he's just sort of gone? I haven't tried to find the leaks so I don't know what they are going for, but it's a shame what happened with Furlong.

They need a better trailer too. I've seen Deadpool and I know Miller can direct a good action scene, I'm sure there's better stuff in there to show. After the mixed reaction they received on the first one, they'll want to impress at the next Comic-Con. And please show more than 1 second of Arnold, this guy can always restore a bit of goodwill to the franchise. Cameron didn't want to get involved if they didn't bring back Arnold and I think he was right about that, they will need him.

If you look at other franchises that aren't doing well lately (MIB, X-Men for example), they didn't bring back the actors people care about. Who do you want to see in an X-Men movie? Hugh Jackman, not there. Who do you want to see in a MIB movie? Tommy and Will Smith, both not there.  Genisys didn't do incredible, but still did better than those other 2 because they at least had Arnie. 

And I like what Cameron said about making it a tight more streamlined thriller rather than a grandiose story that goes all over the place a la Genisys. That can help recapture the feeling of the earlier movies.

Last thing, they won't have as many competition as those other movies that failed. So yeah, 100m domestic is definitely in play, as long as they play their cards right.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Alexdube said:

I'll give you my take. With Arnold Linda and Cameron's name together you got a good nostalgia factor going on. The only question mark is John Connor. They made such a big deal out of him in 1 & 2 and now he's just sort of gone? I haven't tried to find the leaks so I don't know what they are going for, but it's a shame what happened with Furlong.

I don't believe writing him out or reducing his role has much to do with Furlong. I mean, in the movie he would be in his forties, wouldn't he, anybody could pass as John Connor. The grown up Connor in the beginning of T2 didn't look that much like a grown up version of Furlong either, if at all.

14 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

I read somewhere that Dark Fate had a reshoot. Can someone confirm it? When did it take place?

All movies, or at least plenty of movies have reshoots.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

I don't believe writing him out or reducing his role has much to do with Furlong. I mean, in the movie he would be in his forties, wouldn't he, anybody could pass as John Connor. The grown up Connor in the beginning of T2 didn't look that much like a grown up version of Furlong either, if at all.

I think Cameron said he rather not have Sarah Connor at all than have her recast, so I was sort of applying the same logic with John. But you bring up good points, honestly don't know what's their thinking on the character. 

6 hours ago, baumer said:

All movies, or at least plenty of movies have reshoots.  

The question is how extensive is the reshoot. A few scenes are par for the course, but when you end up with massive reshoots...like apparently one third of the film with Dakr Phoenix....that is a sign of really serious problems.

Yeah, the film has a major problem with the baggage of the last few films, Genysis in particular (I am one of those who think the last good Terminator film we got was T2) but if it's good it could do very well.

I doubt Midway will  be much competion. Thought the trailer was pretty bad, and I was laughing at all the stupid mistakes I saw in it. Of course I think that Emmerich and Historical films are a terrible match anyway, given his previous efforts.

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

My guess is Arnold will die by the end of the first act. 

Possibly.

My guess, he’s not even in the first act.  Dies in the beginning of the third act.

TWIST:  He dies in the 4th act and this movie is truly creative?  Oh who am I kidding.

Edited by kowhite