grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

I've seen a rumor that Edward Furlong had apparently been hitting the gym hard in case he was called upon for this film. He's been looking dreadful for a while now, so it's really cool if that got him to take care of himself. Such an exciting development.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Skynet doesn't exist in that future. She's fighting something new. 

I get that, and realistically, having more appendages is probably an advantage? I dunno. Still, sometimes it feels like filmmakers trying to reinvent the wheel or top what has come before. Or maybe that's just me old geezer talking... ;) 

8 hours ago, Alexdube said:

It was never going to be on the level of the first 2, but then how few action movies are? Doesn't look amazing but it looks like a fun ride, you know kinda like a Marvel movie...

If it's half as good as the first two it's guaranteed movie of the year.

Edited by Elessar

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I get that, and realistically, having more appendages is probably an advantage? I dunno. Still, sometimes it feels like filmmakers trying to reinvent the wheel or top what has come before. Or maybe that's just me old geezer talking... ;) 

I think they're just trying to go somewhere new without retconning the past or what Skynet is. 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:05 AM, Alexdube said:

I'll give you my take. With Arnold Linda and Cameron's name together you got a good nostalgia factor going on. The only question mark is John Connor. They made such a big deal out of him in 1 & 2 and now he's just sort of gone? I haven't tried to find the leaks so I don't know what they are going for, but it's a shame what happened with Furlong.

They need a better trailer too. I've seen Deadpool and I know Miller can direct a good action scene, I'm sure there's better stuff in there to show. After the mixed reaction they received on the first one, they'll want to impress at the next Comic-Con. And please show more than 1 second of Arnold, this guy can always restore a bit of goodwill to the franchise. Cameron didn't want to get involved if they didn't bring back Arnold and I think he was right about that, they will need him.

If you look at other franchises that aren't doing well lately (MIB, X-Men for example), they didn't bring back the actors people care about. Who do you want to see in an X-Men movie? Hugh Jackman, not there. Who do you want to see in a MIB movie? Tommy and Will Smith, both not there.  Genisys didn't do incredible, but still did better than those other 2 because they at least had Arnie. 

And I like what Cameron said about making it a tight more streamlined thriller rather than a grandiose story that goes all over the place a la Genisys. That can help recapture the feeling of the earlier movies.

Last thing, they won't have as many competition as those other movies that failed. So yeah, 100m domestic is definitely in play, as long as they play their cards right.

I think you make a lot of excellent points.

My worry is that Arnold was in Genisys and couldn't help it break 100 dom. Now he's even older and possibly will have a smaller role in this one. 

Also, the fact he was in Genisys and it still wasn't well received by the audience may have ruined some of their faith that his involvement is a sign of it being worth seeing. Same can be said of Cameron considering his support of Genisys. 

If Arnold wasn't in Genisys and was coming back for this one, I'd be much more excited and positive about him making a big impact on the box office. But unfortunately I think there's only so many times you can go to the well. 

I would love to be proven wrong though. I think lack of strong competition is important too and an improvement with marketing can help, as you suggest. 

9 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

So Furlong is back as adult and not some kind of CGI'd flashback young John? Good for him if true.

I'm sure if we see enough pics of him by the paparazzi we can easily tell if hes getting ready for the movie. 

41 minutes ago, Klingo said:

I'm sure if we see enough pics of him by the paparazzi we can easily tell if hes getting ready for the movie. 

Apparently, next month he'll be at the Silicon Valley comic-con (how many are there?), together with Arnold and Robert Patrick. Chance for some snapshots.

It FEELS like a Terminator movie..something we have  not seen since T3.

Not that T3 was good movie..it was just a rehash of the first two with nothing new brought to the table...but at the people who made it knew what appealed about the first two movies..it was just their execution was poor.

T4 just did not feel like a Terminator movie. Moivng it  to the future was a huge mistake. It became just another post apocalypse action movie...and not a preticualry good one at that.

T5 was just a horrible, godawful mess.

Have great hopes for Dark Fate, thought. Ignoring the three post 2 films is absolutely the right thing to do.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I prefer hope with a little bit of scepticism over pessimism and negativity, or downright trolling.

My comment was aimed more at me than anyone else. We've done this whole 'finally, this feels like terminator again' dance before, but if it somehow snatches victory from the jaws of defeat, then great.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2