grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

So which one to opt for? IMAX 2D or 4DX?

I prefer to watch 3d in IMAX, but this isn't getting a 3d release in India..

BTW I have never watched a 4DX / MX4D movie ever..

I don't think they went 3D for that one (surprising for something that has James Cameron's name on it). Going to see it in IMAX. 

Between the disappointing box office for Rambo:Last Blood and the likely failure of this, I suspect studios are not anxious to back any more attempts to revive 80's and 90's action franchises.

Last Blood , even with a very modest 50 Million budget, barely broke even and Dark Fate looks to actually lose money, question is how much.

I think  audiences have sort of moved on.

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Between the disappointing box office for Rambo:Last Blood and the likely failure of this, I suspect studios are not anxious to back any more attempts to revive 80's and 90's action franchises.

Last Blood , even with a very modest 50 Million budget, barely broke even and Dark Fate looks to actually lose money, question is how much.

I think  audiences have sort of moved on.

Exactly, and studios need to move on as well. I love a good pure action movie; just make NEW ones.

• Thanks 1

"(...) some industry source are anticipating an opening anywhere from $41-47 million, Paramount is dialing that back just a bit, looking for a debut in the high $30s to $40 million.

A look at IMDb page view performance over the two weeks leading up to release has us more in line with the studio's expectations as we're currently forecasting a debut anywhere from $38-41 million. That said, we have some evidence a debut as high as $47 million is possible."

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3832546308/?ref_=bo_hm_hp

• Sad 1

Genysis was saved by the Chinese box office to become one of the more successful sequels (despite arguably being the worst). This film is far better than the last 3 sequels. It's a damn shame it's going to possibly bomb harder than all of them. It's going to be hard to top Salvation in that department, though. This was a minor yet important step in the right direction for the series, but I imagine fatigue has settled in. It's understandable to a certain degree.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Exactly, and studios need to move on as well. I love a good pure action movie; just make NEW ones.

Frankly, the only classic action hero whose revival as a old man worked well was Rocky in the "Creed" movie.

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I hope that the film does well but how does 100mil save face? They are trying to start a new franchise. 100mil in North America doesn't mean anything unless it does 400-500+mil internationally. 

Yeah it's just not an epic fail just a disappointment and a net loser. We shall see.

6 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Genysis was saved by the Chinese box office to become one of the more successful sequels (despite arguably being the worst). This film is far better than the last 3 sequels. It's a damn shame it's going to possibly bomb harder than all of them. It's going to be hard to top Salvation in that department, though. This was a minor yet important step in the right direction for the series, but I imagine fatigue has settled in. It's understandable to a certain degree.

I like this user’s take on the franchise. He talks Dark Fate spoilers.

Spoiler

Domestically its doing ok. Probably not enough for the budget but a finish ahead of Genesis is likely and may be if WOM is good could go after Salvation domestic as well.

OS run is not good, China has been shocking to say the least. I have been following china BO for a long time and I cant think of any sequel that dropped so much !!!!.

This is definitely trying to do what TFA did for Star Wars and to some extent it does succeed (although I do find it funny James Cameron was critical of TFA for being a retread when Dark Fate is the same thing). The new characters are for the most part very good and Linda Hamilton needs to be in more movies cause she's awesome in this.

Ultimately though I don't think the film fully justified going back to this story so won't be too disappointed if we didn't get any more sequels.

To me an okay opening for a film with 185mil budget is 60mil outside of the December Holidays. And legs aren't guaranteed. I've seen plenty of claims of long legs for low openers and rarely have seen those claims come to pass. I recall when Alita was going to have long legs in North America just this February. I know fans hate these "doom and gloom" posts but usually the doom and gloom posts are right.