grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

31 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Watched it on IMAX with 25-30 people in a 300+ seater at a 4:10 pm show in North India's first and largest IMAX screen.

There was an american wearing a black vest and biker gang shoes with long white beard who added more to the fun with his big laughs. He really looked like one of those texas biker gang dude and a hardcore JC/Terminator/Arnold fan.

As for the movie, nothing new in terms of storytelling. Borrowed many of the great elements/scenes/sequences of T1+T2 and amped it up. 

The acting was great across the board. Really liked the actors playing Dani, Grace and the villain. The movie had lots of intentional comedic/funny moments, which was good. Felt like a marvel comic book movie. Great acting, action scenes, emotional scenes and comedic liners. The bonus is a solid villain. 

Deserves to be doing much much better but it will tank in India as well. Looks like a big flop internationally. Who would have thought that?

I feel more for the new actors and Linda for whom this was a break/vehicle for hopefully bigger and better things. Sigh.

Although I liked this movie a lot, one thing bothering me is that how in the world did it cost $180+ million to make? It didn't feel like it...a 100-130M sure. Looks to me like people got overpaid on this or there were lots of expensive reshoots to fix the movie or the director wasn't sure what he was doing.

JC was heavily involved in this one and I feel like he is losing his mojo or doesn't get the pulse of today's audience. I am genuinely worried about Avatar 2. 

All in all a solid 8/10.

T1 - 8.5/10

T2- 10/10

TDF - 8/10

T3Rise - 6/10

TS - 5/10

Genisys- 4/10

Reading this just makes me think how they really failed this movie from a marketing POV. The trailers were terrible but you alone have made me curious to check this out

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

31 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

JC was heavily involved in this one and I feel like he is losing his mojo or doesn't get the pulse of today's audience. I am genuinely worried about Avatar 2. 

All in all a solid 8/10.

T1 - 8.5/10

T2- 10/10

TDF - 8/10

T3Rise - 6/10

TS - 5/10

Genisys- 4/10

The question is, what is the pulse of today's audience? if a filmmaker is attempting to time the market they are almost guaranteed to fail. We don't know how truly involved Cameron was in writing the script, he didn't visit the set once (unlike Alita), they didn't use WETA as far as I know, he was involved in editing/cutting the movie and apparently got into it with Miller several times during this process (the first Miller only cut was substantially longer). A lot of questions for sure which is why we need to treat Terminator/Alita far differently from Avatar, that's a completely different animal imo in terms of scope/size of production/innovation etc...I can't wait for the ****storm that will be unleashed with that first teaser or trailer. 

Saw it this afternoon, I would give it a soft 3/5. The movie has some issues esp. with the story, ham fisted social commentary and one grave casting error. Out of this series of movies I can only recommend T1 and T2, that's really all that needs to be said about this world. Attendance was  poor, maybe 20-25 people at most.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Saw it this afternoon, I would give it a soft 3/5. The movie has some issues esp. with the story, ham fisted social commentary and one grave casting error. Out of this series of movies I can only recommend T1 and T2, that's really all that needs to be said about this world. Attendance was  poor, maybe 20-25 people at most.

That would be muh wall muh border muh immigration and the character related to all that. I don't know why they invest almost 200M in movies with American politics that no one outside of America cares about. 

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That would be muh wall muh border muh immigration and the character related to all that. I don't know why they invest almost 200M in movies with American politics that no one outside of America cares about. 

They didn't have to go there and was it really necessary for the plot? It's debatable for sure, the refugee issue is a worldwide problem not limited to the US and its southern border. I had major problems buying into the performance of Reyes, she's so physically the opposite of Davis that I can't see her being able to lead anyone in future battles.

and now we have this from the Hollywood Reporter

James Cameron produced the November tentpole, which is a direct sequel to the filmmaker's first two 'Terminator' films.

Paramount and Skydance's Terminator: Dark Fate may not cross the $30 million mark at the North American box office this weekend, as it competes with Halloween festivities. 

The action movie started its opening weekend run with $2.35 million in Thursday previews and is on track to gross $28 million over its opening weekend, according to Friday estimates. 

The direct sequel to Terminator: Judgment Day (1991) is directed by Deadpool helmer Tim Miller and produced by James Cameron, creator of the the original Terminator franchise.

The R-rated movie reunites Cameron with original stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who join new franchise actors Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna and Diego Boneta.

Dark Fate was initially tracking to open in the high $30 million to low $40 million range domestically earlier in the week. Overseas, where Disney is releasing the November tentpole, it opens in a raft of major markets, including China. In North America, it rolls out in more than 4,000 theaters, including Imax locales.

It troubles me when a film gets instant backlash for the sexual orientation or the race of the lead actors. Is this what "anti-woke" culture has come to? Judging a film solely based upon its cast without even watching it? Or convincing yourself that it's terrible, because you wanted it to be. It's a troubling pattern of terrible criticism. They're just ironically performing the same criticisms they themselves wanted others to avoid.

I watched the Phantom Menace in theater upon release. TERRIBLE FILM. I watched Terminator 3 in theater. AWFUL. I watched these films in hope of them being good. I didn't peruse a community of people who judge something prematurely based upon bullshit standards. I didn't jump on the hate bandwagon for unreasonable bullshit reasons. I watched them, and judged them based solely on the quality of writing, directing, and acting. Dark Fate not a great film, but it's a solid sequel with strong characters. Linda Hamilton, Arnold, and Mackenzie turn in performances well above the standard this series has set from previous sequels.  The action is often better than not. I don't get the immediate backlash from some people.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

He didn't visit the set once, this isn't be heavily involved, he is shooting Avatar.

Also, despite being credited for the story, he isn't involved with the script, which are very different things.

Honestly from what we know, he only help to get some ideas to the sequel and produced, after that, he only helped with the final cut because apparently the Miller cut was longer and messy, it seems to be worked, the critical reception are decent just like Alita.

Now talking about audiences, this franchise have the last really good movie 28 years ago, the last entry was an absolute trash, the marketing for this movie was terrible at least, to me the problem isn't JC lost his pulse (especially because it's not his film), but the audiences just doesn't care anymore.

Edited by ThomasNicole

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He didn't visit the set once, this isn't be heavily involved, he is shooting Avatar.

Also, despite being credited for the story, he isn't involved with the script, which are very different things.

Honestly from what we know, he only help to get some ideas to the sequel and produced, after that, he only helped with the final cut because apparently the Miller cut was longer and messy, it seems to be worked, the critical reception are decent just like Alita.

Now talking about audiences, this franchise have the last really good movie 28 years ago, the last entry was an absolute trash, the marketing for this movie was terrible at least, to me the problem isn't JC lost his pulse (especially because it's not his film), but the audiences just doesn't care anymore.

When I say losing pulse I mean he is involved with movies that the general audience isn't interested in. They appeal only to the hardcores. Alita and TDF.

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

When I say losing pulse I mean he is involved with movies that the general audience isn't interested in. They appeal only to the hardcores. Alita and TDF.

I completely agreed, but this seems to be his thing, both Titanic and Avatar was supposed to be bombs afterall.

To me the real thing here is that JC needs to direct the movies, he knows how to make stories that people isn't interested became successes.

Alita and a new Terminator could be huge if it was his movies, but both Alita and DF have way less competent directors in front of it, the script of Alita was substantially cut to fit in 2 hours (which didn't help because the movie felt rush and incomplete), and DF apparently tried to emulate a Cameron movie without never reaching his level. An 3 hour Alita with a stronger development and better pacing / directing or an Terminator with a new Cameron vision for the franchise would probably succeed, but it is what it is.

Avatar 2 thought should be a huge success since he is writing, producing, directing, editing and could be as long as it needs to be.

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

JC needs to learn to how to do social commentary right;he was very ham fisted about it in Avatar. A lot of people who are very "green" and agree with the message did not like being hit over the head with it. In the end, the best sermon is one where the audience does not even know it's being preached at.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

The Sarah Conner Chronicles came to soon. Would have been perfect for the streaming wars. 

If that show had been made today, they could have used the plot of Dark Fate as the starting point. And the fact that it was on streaming could have enticed Linda and Arnold to join.