grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

32 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Is it adaptation or original?

Where was the extremely graphic violence as well?

And dystopian scifi noir? I think you're giving it too much credit.

The line between original and adaption is a blurry one that depends on the size of an audience familiar with the source material. Alita straddles that line but I doubt many saw it because they were huge fans of the source. Were Frozen or The Lion king (or hell, even Avatar) adaptations? I guess technically but I would call them original films for the purposes of box office draw.

As for dystopian sci-fi noir, I don’t see where you would disagree with any of those adjectives. Maybe noir? 

Anyway the best comps for Alita were John Carter from Mars, Jupiter Ascending, and Valérian and we saw how those went.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1

Just now, Pure Spirit said:

The line between original and adaption is a blurry one that depends on the size of an audience familiar with the source material. I think a Alita straddles that line but I doubt many saw it because they were huge fans of the source. Were Frozen or The Lion king (or hell, even Avatar) adaptations? I guess technically but I would call them original films for the purposes of box office draw.

As for dystopian sci-fi noir, I don’t see where you would disagree with any of those adjectives. Maybe noir

Yeah, that would be the one.

Look, I think Alita is a good-looking movie, that falters on the world-building (some hints there at a far more interesting story than the one we get), with it cramming in sooooo much and at the same time revealing almost nothing at all.

The movie just didn't click with audiences and, even though I wouldn't call it a bomb (even with that huge budget), I don't see how anyone could call it even a minor breakout...

But, that's besides the point in this thread. Apologies for getting side-tracked. 

Anyone expecting a box office breakthrough for this is expecting a little too much in my opinion. Apart from T2 the evidence is not there.

DOMESTIC    FOREIGN    TOTAL    
TERMINATOR      1984    $38.3        $40.0            $78.3    
TERMINATOR 2   1991     $205.9      $315.0          $520.8    
TERMINATOR 3  2003    $150.3       $283.0         $433.3    
SALVATION         2009    $125.3       $246.0         $371.3    
GENISYS              2015    $89.8         $350.8         $440.6    

totals unadj.                      $609.5    $1,234.8    $1,844.3    

Note: T2 Domestic adjusted for inflation $439.4 million = 116th All-Time                    

• Like 1

Guys, guys, you're missing the big headline here. We got a Terminator trailer that didn't spoil the entirety of the plot!

I'll call that a win.

But yeah, I'm a bit bothered about the weightlessness, both in the effects and even in Sarah's inexistent weapon recoil.

I'm still gonna attempt to spoil myself by guessing the girl is young Sarah, and Arnold is probably playing the human Skynet used as reference.

We could end up with a fresh take on how time travel works in this. One can hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Elessar said:

What? This film is not yet rated.

Have You seen the trailer? Watch the fight between M. Davis and cops. No nudity, no swears, no blood, Sarah doesn't spoke anymore. This will be another PG-13 Terminator movie for sure.

Happy to see Linda again and I do trust Cameron......with that said, it was a decent tease.  Need to see more though.  Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the last two.  "Salvation" tried to set up something more in the Future but didn't really work to me.  "Genesys" was all over the place.   T3 still had Arnold in control so though it wasn't a great follow up to Judgement Day it still had it's moments.  The New Bad Terminator looks like the T-1000 with some extra enhancements.   Again I will reverse judgement until further notice but I got nothing about the timeline or story from that tease.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

What’s the budget for this? Looks like a $40M movie.

200M. Another bomb like Alita. Sorry, but alita didn't breakeven. Under 100 domestic and majority of os from China where they get no more than 20% i believe. Still i hope to see an alita cg/animation on Netflix or Disney+ to continue the story from where the movie ended. It's a shame we won't get a sequel. Has been zero talks from the main guys since it came out.

As for this, should crack 400 ww because brand is still strong overseas. But to match the heights of t2 or more, they have to improve marketing big time. Oh and the movie has to get 70+ certified fresh on RT.

• Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Don't judge a book by its cover. ;)

They better step up with the next trailer, though. Damn, angry that i even have to write that. Seriously, that's the best you could do, Paramount? Oh, well...

Don't blame paramount for this mess. Tim Miller personally worked on this trailer...and was so excited to unleash it lmao.

Given how T2 is perhaps one of the greatest, maybe even the best, chase film ever, the truck chase scene in the trailer has a lot to live up to, perhaps unfairly so. Still, it has potential as does the aerial scene.

T1 and T2 benefited tremendously from that sliver of hope amidst the desperation of confronting a seemingly unstoppable threat to humanity. The subsequent movies ruined that in a couple of ways. First, by repeatedly stopping the unstoppable, they rendered the threat inert. Or, in T3's case, it surrendered to the hopelessness of it all by initiating the inevitable apocalypse.

The post-T2 movies should have taken the route chosen by The Sarah Connor Chronicles television series (starring a terrific Lena Headey who was as good as she was in Game of Thrones). The desperation and hopelessness of the situation were pervasive throughout that series' short run but that sliver of hope remained. It left viewers with a sense that John and company could prevent the apocalypse against all odds. Dark Fate should try to emulate that.