grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

20 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Whats with all this Mexican racism ? There’s nothing bad with deciding to add a Latinx angle, especially since we’re very underrepresented compared to other minorities.

The Disney Star Wars trilogy wasn’t ruined because of gender equality and feminism. 

Agreed. One of the main characters being Mexican didn’t cause this film to tank, they didn’t push any agenda in the trailers so the vast majority of potential viewers won’t have even been aware that there was a Mexican lead until they were in the theatre. The trailers and advertising pushed Linda Hamilton front and centre.

I also don’t buy the whole “too many women” complaint putting off Terminator fans when the protagonist of Terminator 1 and 2 was Sarah Connor. The only people pushing that theory are the pathetic trolls on Reddit and the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Reviews section that get a weird pleasure out of shitting on anything that dares to feature a woman.

The film underperformed due to franchise fatigue and it’s proximity to the horrid stench of Genisys. Had this been the first Terminator film since 2003, it’d have done a lot better, regardless of whether one of the main characters was a Mexican or a female.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

there's only one reason DF flopped - nobody needed the same shit for the 6th time. The Wall/Illegal immigration/Mexican Jesus may have made the already unappealing thing even more unappealing but once you have low appeal it doesn't matter if it's at 0 or -2. You are going down. It's just that it's easier to get hung up on something tenglible (Mexicans) than something abstract (overall mehness). It's like TLJ. It didn't drop hard because of Rose or Weaponized Hyperspace or Jake but those are easier points to beat on than something as abstract as bad pacing, nothing ever happens, too much filler, subverts its own promise to subvert expectations, etc. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, scabab said:

Not because of it, it was just one of the many reasons why.

You must be a Trump supporter I suppose

Maybe some didn’t like the idea to add a Mexican angle, even though The Terminator and T2 briefly took place in Mexico and even had Mexican characters lol (this franchise in general had fans in Latin America)

But to blame this flop on casting Mexicans is straight up ignorant 

25 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

You must be a Trump supporter I suppose

Maybe some didn’t like the idea to add a Mexican angle, even though The Terminator and T2 briefly took place in Mexico and even had Mexican characters lol (this franchise in general had fans in Latin America)

But to blame this flop on casting Mexicans is straight up ignorant 

But....you just agreed with me.

I liked Dark Fate fine but I find it desperate to keep bringing up its okay reviews as if that will save it from failure. It needed to drop 35% this weekend to have a chance of saving face and it's dropping 60+%. The 72% RT score doesn't matter. It is over for the film. Not enough people wanted to see it. And also a B+ cinemascore is good for adult dramas but not that great for an under performing action movie that needed red hot word of mouth to survive.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

This movie was going to flop no matter who was going to star in it. Terminator was a dead franchise but Hollywood can't help themselves, they suffer from a severe case of sequelitis. I guess it's easier to just remake old hits with the same movie plot and some new actors, and it's much harder to get creative and start new original franchises. And the bosses at Paramount (and the other studios) need a mental check for approving a nearly $200 million budget for this, after the last successful Terminator film was in 1991, almost three decades ago. 

3 hours ago, Laurent K said:

This failure is too big to be true. (65% drop This week end).

i don't get it. The movie is not bad at all. Now the success of movies is based on marketing and internet discussions before the release. I hate that. 

You talk as if a great art-house movie has failed and not a 185mil budgeted Terminator sequel. Genisys used up the last ounce of good will towards the franchise. The success of big movies has been based on marketing and audience interest for decades. The internet discussion comment is not true. Plenty of huge flops have had internet discussion.

6 hours ago, Laurent K said:

This failure is too big to be true. (65% drop This week end).

i don't get it. The movie is not bad at all. Now the success of movies is based on marketing and internet discussions before the release. I hate that. 

$10.8 weekend estimate - down almost 63% and beat by four new releases!!! 

Forget my previous estimate that it would be hard pressed to reach $75 million domestic, it might come in much lower, (mid 60's ??)