grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

30 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Well...

You infidels have three more years, before Avatar returns...

Then you will all kneel before the Lord Cameron.

Less than that - 768 days until Dec 17/2021. We'll know by early Dec or maybe earlier if Avatar II is generating some major buzz or major apathy. 

Reading the first page of the thread, it's funny to see basically everyone predicted its dark fate at the box office. But funny in a dark way because I'm sad it is not doing great. But at least the franchise is being closed with a good movie and now we have a perfect Terminator trilogy (I didn't have the chance to see Dark Fate yet, I'm trusting the positive response from everyone).

56 minutes ago, scabab said:

Can this possibly hit $300 million worldwide?

needs 100 more after 40.7 weekend (29.9 os + 10.8 dom). so just under 2.5x the weekend more.

Dom i feel confident it's not gonna add more than 1.75 * 10.8.

Genisys added just over 1.5x it's 13.8 2nd weekend to it's cume.

so os will have to make up for it by going a over 2.5x.

by a quick calculation if dom adds 1.75x instead of 2.5x needed (leading to a shortfall of 8m), then os needs to do 2.75x instead of 2.5x to make up for that.

Man, the box office for this movie really goes to show how much Genisys dropped the ball. If this had been the first Terminator film in 10 years, there definitely would’ve more interest in it. I’m not saying it would’ve had a TFA style increase, but I’d imagine that it would’ve at least managed to clear $500 million worldwide. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Drop this weekend shows WOM is not good. Batman Begins and Star Trek 2009 followed up poorly received flops and had staying power and ended up making solid money. Dark Fate is not doing that and that’s all on it 

Its WOM is decent...and that's the problem. It needed to have great WOM for this to have any sort of staying power. Decent WOM for a film in a franchise where the last two films received tepid WOM is not going to convince anyone to watch it....especially for a franchise that's been irrelevant for two decades.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Drop this weekend shows WOM is not good. Batman Begins and Star Trek 2009 followed up poorly received flops and had staying power and ended up making solid money. Dark Fate is not doing that and that’s all on it 

Warners wasn't even fully convinced to do a sequel to Batman Begins until home video numbers came in...when a lot more people caught onto it that had skipped it in theaters. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

wom is more mixed for this and has the same cinema score as last few. Dark Fate has a 4/10 on metacritic from fans while Genisys has a 6.1/10. You can't discount audience scores

Lol metacritic are you serious? We've already explained it to you, some movies get flooded by troll reviews from people who haven't even seen the film. Metacritic is especially vulnerable to this. Captain Marvel has 3.5/10. I didn't particularity like that movie but everyone knows 3.5 isn't right and that movie made a billion.

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

8 year gap between the Batman movies

7 year gap between the Star Trek movies

4 year gap between Terminator movies

Also redeeming a franchise that isn't superhero related in 2019 is something else

You're talking about movies from 10 / 14 years ago

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

wom is more mixed for this and has the same cinema score as last few. Dark Fate has a 4/10 on metacritic from fans while Genisys has a 6.1/10. You can't discount audience scores

Metacritic audience reviews are always full of shit, new Call of duty is on 3.2/10. Fortnite, the most popular game of the last few years is on 3.7. It's a scoring system for hipsters, I'd never take the user reviews seriously from there