grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

I honestly don't understand why this franchise got so many sequels. Terminator/T2 were perfect combo and T2 ended the story. So there was really nowhere to go but constantly retcon it to show that dire future indeed happened even though T2 destroyed Skynet and Terminator so the point was that future was saved.  Whatever, they set themselves up for fail by pushing for continuation where there was no room for one.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

How long before they reboot this franchise again, then? Seriously, you wouldn't put it past them...

My theory is that it will come back in a decade but as a streaming show. But that show will be a complete reboot of the series in which they retell the story of the first and second movie and do a future war thing. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, Macleod said:

Warners wasn't even fully convinced to do a sequel to Batman Begins until home video numbers came in...when a lot more people caught onto it that had skipped it in theaters. 

People forget that Batman Begins was not a huge hit in theaters..it was a mid range success..and back in 2005 a mid range success did not guarantee a sequel ..unlike today.

But I am skeptical that history will repeat itself with :"Dark Fate"

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Tim Miller spilling some beans

Despite its earning critical goodwill, especially in comparison to its predecessors, Terminator: Dark Fate will likely go down in history as a potentially franchise-killing box office bomb. How does its director, Tim Miller (Deadpool), feel about that? In an unprecedentedly candid interview with Los Angeles radio station KCRW, Miller got into his feelings about the whole affair — and spoke about his difficulties working with Terminator creator James Cameron and Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds, too.

“I’m sure we could write a book on why it didn’t work,” mused Miller on Dark Fate‘s financial failure. “I’m still not sure and I’m processing, but I’m very proud of the movie.” Part of Miller’s processing has included examining unhappy reactions closely, with Miller concluding many of these reactions are unrelated to his actual film. “The things they seemed to hate the most about the movie, were things I can’t control. I can’t control you didn’t like Genysis or you felt betrayed by Terminator 4 [Salvation]. I can’t help that.” To help mitigate the losses of Skydance Media’s David Ellison as much as possible, Miller actually bought Ellison dinner when the two met to discuss their path post-Dark Fate. And Ellison said, much to Miller’s joyful surprise, “What are we going to do next together?”

As far as James Cameron, he had previously alluded to his and Miller’s struggles making the movie together, telling Collider that “blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles.” Miller alluded to not only these battles, but also battles with Ellison: “Even though Jim is a producer and David Ellison is a producer and they technically have final cut and ultimate power, my name is still on it as director. Even if I’m going to lose the fight … I still feel this obligation to fight because that is what the director is supposed to do. Fight for the movie.” According to Miller, Cameron had a nearly a diametrically opposed view on the basic narrative structure of Terminator: Dark Fate. Miller wanted to open the film with the humans losing the war against the machines — specifically against Legion, the new version of Skynet — which motivates going back in time again. Cameron, on the other hand, wanted to open with the humans winning.

And Miller said:

Legion is so powerful, the only way to beat it is going back in time and strangle it in the crib. Jim says, ‘What’s dramatic about the humans losing?’ And I say, ‘Well, What’s dramatic about the humans winning and they just need to keep on winning?’ I like a last stand. It’s not his thing

While Miller and Cameron continued to clash through the film’s editing — and Miller admitted that he would likely not work with Cameron again because he doesn’t “want to be in a situation again where I don’t have the control to do what I think is right” — both parties were ultimately able to put their squabbles in perspective. Miller said “As far as donnybrooks go, it’s not that big of a deal,” and Cameron told Miller he wanted to buy him a beer the next time they were in LA together. Miller also compared this all to his less-than-desired experience working with Reynolds on Deadpool: “It became clear that Ryan wanted to be in control of the franchise. You can work that way as a director, quite successfully, but I can’t.”

https://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-bomb-tim-miller-james-cameron/

• Like 3

" Miller also compared this all to his less-than-desired experience working with Reynolds on Deadpool: “It became clear that Ryan wanted to be in control of the franchise. You can work that way as a director, quite successfully, but I can’t.”

We all know James Cameron is a control freak. What did Tim expect when he signed up for The Terminator which James wants to be in control of? Of course it would be another Deadpool-Ryan situation. From now on, Tim should do some indie.

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, raulbalarezo said:

#ReleaseTheMillerCut

Sure why not, I like Miller's idea of Legion having won in the future. I have to wonder if the failure of Alita and now TDF is starting to sow some seeds of doubt in the mind of Cameron/Landau for the Avatar sequels. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I mean, I suppose one spin on the franchise is humans going back in time to kill the key people behind whatever iteration of humanity-killing AI the future holds, like an actual list of people, not just one, and the AI sending someone back to protect them. Morality issues! Perfect to ay to ape T2's Dyson subplot. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 11:31 AM, Napoleon said:

James Cameron's involvement is what gave this movie some credibility. Without him, it would have done worse.

It's just unfortunate that he wasn't receptive to a 180 spin on the Terminator formula. I guess if Avatar is any indication, James Cameron is not into original storytelling these days.

• Like 1